Friday, July 31, 2026

Week in Review: #5 Turns 15, Summery Things, and 24 Years of NFP

 Happy Last Day of July!

Alexander Blaise turned 15 this past weekend, and he loves to remind me how big of a baby he was (almost 9 pounds) and how fast and hard my delivery of him was (3.5 hours, no drugs, big and long baby with a 3 foot umbilical cord, wrapped around his neck twice).  But he was worth it!!!

Somebody was thrilled to finally be a big sister at 3.5 years old!


Xander was the FUNNIEST little kid.  Almost all of my "That's What He Said" posts are about him.  He loved to eat and would tell me I was "the best cooka ever".  He loved to suck his thumb while holding anything with a tag.  Even a bag of garlic would do:


Xander loved music and would pick up a drumstick and say "And a one, and a two, and a one, two, three, four" before he started to play.  He would dance or clap and tell me he was "just feeling the beat" so we knew from a young age he would be musical...and he is!  He won many a piano competition growing up, and even though he stopped piano lessons when he went to high school, he can be found playing popular songs by ear on the keyboard.


After informing us that he was retiring from soccer at the age of four (I told you he's funny) we never found a sport he liked until he finally joined the swim team at age 12.  He swam on the team for a few years, and started running on his days off from swimming because he realized that he slept better when he exercised (he's also smart) and then switched to Cross Country and Track in high school.


And now he's 15 and about to be a (young) Sophomore in high school, so I guess he can't be called a "little" any more.  He got a new phone for his birthday and he's now able to be part of what was "The First Four" group chat and has now changed to "High Five" to include our 5th born.

Andrew took him out to breakfast after Mass, and the night before he went to see The Odyssey with Andrew and some cousins.


He spent the day at the beach with his friends, and then we had Weiner schnitzel, mashed potatoes, salad for dinner, and cake and ice cream for dessert:




The kids made him nice cards and bought him some gifts, as well as a promise to see the new Spiderman movie tonight!  A very good birthday indeed.  We love you Xander B... to the moon and back and back again!!

Let's see what else happened this week?  Photo memory commence!

A lunch out by the sea with my honeybee

Cousins in the ocean

A girl's day shopping with Maggie and then to lunch at Cava (my first time)

Declan went to a Revolution soccer game with a friend

Fireworks!  He didn't get home until 11:30 pm...much later than his 8pm bedtime.

Phil and I took Brendan out to dinner while everyone else had plans or was working



Playing not correctly at the playground, again.  Declan and Brendan both went to STEM Camp this week, and then Declan also had Soccer Camp in the afternoons, so they were engaged and tired, which is just the way I like my summer boys to be.

3D Printer Fidgets from STEM Camp

Brendan loved his new Minion shirt, which he's worn three days this week:


Terrible photo of a fun night hanging out with friends and heading to a Portuguese feast at a church nearby:


Sneak peek of Brendan doing a home workout to complete his summer chart for the day.

Maggie's been hanging out with friends all the time, each time saying that it will probably be the last time before college, and each time it is not :)



Andrew met up with friends from his high school soccer team and they played for 3 hours one night.  He also joined up with a running club in our town for an evening run.  Exercise is better with others!



I had my yearly physical this week, and sent Phil this photo when they weighed me and I was shocked with the number on the scale.  Must be broken ;)  Or muscle weighs a LOT more than fat...yeah, that must be it.


JP has had his first full week of school, and hopefully his fortune comes true:


That beautiful, but muddy water Pittsburgh view

We've had a rainy week, but there's no rainbows without rain:


I missed NFP Awareness Week last week, and I've already talked about NFP way too much over the years, but I do have a new method I'm using that I thought I would share.  When we were first married, we used the Sympto-Thermal Method, then moved to a modified Creighton Method, then to the Marquette Method (Clearblue monitor and test sticks) and after 15 years of that, I am now wearing an Oura Ring and using that data.  I did overlap use of both the ovulation monitor and the Oura ring until the Oura ring got enough months of data from me.  It has been so much easier to just make sure I'm wearing the ring and that's it!  I spent over $2000 on monitors (two) and test sticks (57 orders through Amazon) so the $400 ring is a good financial option.  I'm old enough now that I mostly kinda sorta know what I'm doing, but the ring gives me that reassurance I still need.

And that's a wrap on July!  I hope you all have a great August weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Xander! You always celebrate your kids so nicely; the written tribute shows the joy and love you have for them.
    And muscle definitely weighs more than fat! If your clothes still fit, you're doing fine! You are so active and eat well- you're treating your body right. The Oura ring can track the NFP data accurately? Cool! Smart move , though, to overlap the methods just to make sure it works for you. ( All those years of science fairs for your kids means you know how to verify data!)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the clothes fit or do I just keep buying stretchy waists...you'll never know! Haha he didn't seem concerned about my weight gain, but he was very concerned about my cholesterol which keeps getting higher and I don't want to get on statins. I said I would test again in 6 months and will try to take Metamucil faithfully between now and then.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Xander!! It has been so fun watching you grow! I am glad the Oura ring works for you. I am in the scary NFP days where several of my friends are having those late in life surprise babies and... I really hope that isn't the plan God has for me. Looks like a really good week was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes those days are scary and those years are long! I'm still in them at 47?!?! The Oura ring just tracks temperature and monthly cycle patterns, so much better than trying to wake up at the same time each day and take a temp like the good old days of NFP!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to Xander! What an absolutely adorable baby! I had to read up on your birth story post -- wowee, that is quite the story and you are a trooper for delivering such a big baby unmedicated! (Our own #5 arrived three weeks ago, also with a fast labor but he only weighed 6# 14 oz, and I was able to get an epidural!)

    Ugh NFP. We have used Marquette for the last several years and I do really like that it is so reliable but I hate how few available days it gives us. Is there an official NFP protocol for the Oura ring? I don't know that that would be any better for us than Marquette (my cycles are short so we typically only get a few phase 3 days per cycle which is... supremely annoying).

    Re: the scale, I swear the scales in our office always read 10 lbs over. I wish we had body composition scales to get a more accurate sense of actual fitness and health rather than just a BMI calculation. Regardless of the number on the scale, all of your exercise is definitely paying off in terms of bone density, joint health, mobility, and mental health!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATS ON YOUR BABY BOY!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics and read all about it when you can post :) No pressure. Ok maybe just a little bit of pressure!

      Delete
  4. Hey there, I read this days ago and just came back to check on my comment . . . that I apparently never wrote. Sorry. That's not as bad as the other mistake I made Tuesday and discovered today. I'll blog about it soon, but OMG it was a very smelly mistake.

    Anyway, happy birthday to Xander. I love the newborn photo of him. Such a chubby face. What a doll. Maggie looks over the moon. Aw. Brendan is a lucky duck to score a dinner out with mom and dad. Such fun summer-y pictures. Curly is in the same boat as Maggie . . . for our last hangout (when we know it will not be the last one). Her bestie from travel ball, who lived in the city (so a hike), drove out tonight. They're at the Spider man movie and then she's sleeping over and they'll hang out all day tomorrow. She's made plenty of money, but OMG - imagine if I suggest she caddy on one of these final days of summer. She so prefers babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are nice! Maggie gets one day off from work the day before we leave - haha! She's had other days off this summer, but we need her to work up to the last minute. Poor Eamon will be holding down the shop while we bring Maggie to Ohio, and then has to fly out early on the morning after we come back. College and Cottage logistics are no joke! I just read about your upcoming trips so you get it! Have you ever listened to All Creatures Great and Small? I'm listening to Three Bags Full right now which is kind of slow but the narrator is Irish so that's fun to hear.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your Xander. Don'tcha love a guy with a sense of humor? He's a funny one!
    "Engaged and tired"---that's the best way to run your kids all summer. :)
    I can't believe your girl is leaving you for college!! TEARS.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...