Friday, March 1, 2019

Fine it's March, but I'm Still Feeling That February Love

I'm always surprised by how many people seem to hate February, when I tend to like it, and this year, I would daresay love it.  Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but here's why they are wrong ;) and why I love this month...

1)

Short Month

On the first day of February in Boston, the sun set at 4:58 pm.  On the last day of February, the sun will set at 5:32.  This is the month that I really feeeeeeeeel those extra minutes of daylight after a bleak and dark winter, like a little promise of hope.  Compared to January and March, which seem to be long months for me, February is a little blip of a month that goes by much too fast.  And this year, we've had such dry weather that the winter is pleasurable.  I've been running outside more days than not, which is a rare winter treat!  Treadmills are dreadmills.

2)

Valentine's Day


Who doesn't love love?  Probably the same people who don't love February, ha!  I know that Hallmark and Hersheys make out like bandits on this holiday, but that doesn't bother me.  It's always nice to take a moment and let those you love know how you feel, and we will take any excuse for a date night for any reason!  Valentine's Day, sure!  World Marriage Day, great!  Chinese New Year, why not?  President's Day, yes sir!  (All FEBRUARY holidays, by the by.)  February is the life of the party!


3)

February Break

This is always a "staycation" sort of week for us.  The schools close down, and we don't usually travel because it can be times of illnesses/bad weather, so we just try and let the kids do some fun things around home instead.  This Feb. break included snow tubing, indoor mini golfing, a trampoline park, indoor gym times, roller skating, big kid hangouts and cousin sleepovers. 



4)

John-Paul's Birthday

He turned sweet sixteen and hopefully never been kissed until he's 20 and meets a nice girl with good morals :)  He spent his break taking Drivers Ed classes every day and then I took him for his permit test on the morning of his birthday.  He passed!  Barely!  But he did it!  He said he was down to the last question that if he got it right meant the permit was his, and if he got it wrong meant he failed, and he was sweating.  Methinks he should have studied beforehand.  Much like the person with the lowest GPA in med school still becoming a doctor, JP has his permit.  



We gave him two presents this year, one being a new mattress (lame), and the second being a trip to an Escape Room with friends (awesome).  They had a great time, and came back to the house after for cake and ice cream and were all so charming and wonderful to the little kids.  




Teenagers are pretty awesome, turns out.  JP has always made the nicest friends, and I think that's a testimony to they type of friend he is to everybody.  Love that kid.

5)

My Birthday

Well, it finally happened.  The BIG FOUR OH.  I can't believe it and was a bit weepy the day before, just trying to figure out a way to stop it from happening.  But alas, time marches on, and honestly the day itself wasn't difficult at all.  Phil made the most delicious annual birthday dinner of chicken cordon bleu with rice and sugar snap peas, and he ordered a lemon cake from a great restaurant in Providence, RI.  Mmmmmm!  My parents and goddaughter came over for dinner, and it was really great.  Phil surprised me with an Apple Watch and some Sorel boots.  I thought I was getting a Garmin, so I let Brendan open the gift and was totally surprised when I saw what it was.  

39 forever!



Am I wearing pajamas and a vest?  Yes!  I'm an old woman who can do what she wants now.  
#dreamsdocometrue

We also went away to the Chatham Bars Inn last Sunday and wow, that place was actually a dream come true.  The room was amazing...here's a little tour:



6)

No Lent!

Usually Lent comes in February, but this year it's so late!  Yay!  I like having Easter later in April when there's a chance that it will be warm enough for all those cute Easter outfits, instead of having to cover them up with winter jackets. 

Easter in March be like whaaaat?


7)

Basketball Season is Almost Over

But Colleen, you love watching your kids play basketball!

You are right!  

(But I also need a break from all the sports commitments, and Spring is our break for that!)




These photos are from the Faculty/Parent vs Kids Game during Catholic Schools Week.  Currently we have finished all regular season games and are waiting to hear when their playoff games are.  Andrew, Eamon, and Maggie all play.  JP (and Coach Phil) are finished with Winter Track and I sang an Alleluia to have afternoon Phil back in my life.  Half-marathon training is winding down as the March 17th race date gets closer, so that will be another thing off of our to do list.  I'll keep on working out of course, but not following a tough running plan of five running days a week for the past five months will be sooooo nice!  I'm planning on doing a lot more group exercise classes and weights and cross-training.  So soon we can say aurevoir to basketball season, winter track season, half-marathon training...and bonjour to swimming and spring track - both are only one day a week and so much easier!

Bonus...

If you do your taxes early, and get a refund....that refund comes in FEBRUARY!  Woohoo!  Love tax time :)


Except don't go to H&R Block (I used to work there and they overcharge).  Do it yourself with TaxAct :)

And that's a February Love Filled wrap everybody!  Enjoy your 1st day of March!!

4 comments:

  1. I will take February over March any day. It looks like you birthday buddies had a great one. Driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just ready to turn the clocks back next weekend! Woohooooooo! That means spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giirrrlll I should live with you during February.. It is my nemesis...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family. So enjoy "the moments".
    God bless you .

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...