Wednesday, January 29, 2020

January 2020: Book, Cook, Look

Here's what I've been reading, eating, and wearing lately!

Book

The St. Paul Company (Dr. Scott Hahn's company) sent me a copy of The Attic Saint to review, and it was a big hit.  


I must admit, even my 8 year old kept walking back and forth as I was reading to the little guys, trying to listen in without appearing to want to.  My 12 year old gladly sat nearby and listened as well.  Even I was intrigued about the story, not something you can say about most children's books!  The story is about a boy, whose family moves into an old convent, and he finds an icon of St. Ambrose in the attic that helps make his new house feel like a home.  The best part was that once the book was over, I told 5-year-old Declan (who was reeeeeally into the story) that I had something special for him, and handed him the St. Ambrose icon prayer card, and he was thrilled!  We went up to his bedroom and hung it up right away in a spot that he can look at when he falls asleep.  I have purchased icons from this online store before, and can't wait to reread this book as it gets closer to Easter, and have icons for the kids in the Easter basket this year. 

Cook

After Jen Fulwiler suggested this cookbook, we have been trying to make a couple new soups each month.


Phil and I eat soup every workday during the school year, so I make a big pot on the weekend, divide it up into these glass containers, and we grab them each morning, along with a greek yogurt.  It's a great way to get in our veggies, homemade bone broth, dairy and protein.  Recently I discovered these protein chips that taste very similar to Doritos, and if a soup recipe doesn't contain much protein, then I will eat it with the protein chips as well.  For the month of January, I've been having a daily shake as an afternoon snack, made up of protein powder, collagen, psylium husk powder, spinach, blueberries and vanilla unsweetened almond milk.  It hits the spot and helps me from snacking on crackers before dinner. Why are crackers always calling my name at 4pm?

Look

I bought this cute dress for the Spring for less than $17 and a sweet rose colored cardigan to wear now for only $13.  



I just love Loft Outlet sales.  I am looking at rice cookers as well, as we seem to be eating it more often as a side, but I do have an Instapot already, so I'm wondering if it's worth having another appliance?  Or does the Instapot do a good job of cooking rice?  I'm just sick of it sticking to the pot when I cook it on the stove.  Any rice advice appreciated :)

4 comments:

  1. I love my rice cooker! It is this one https://amzn.to/36yaCwh but I don't have an instapot. We make rice 1-2 times a week and I love being able to set it and literally walk away for hours if necessary with nothing else to do and the rice stays warm. But I would only get it if you have the room for it. Kitchen appliances can overwhelm your life if you aren't careful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only make rice in my Instant Pot now because it’s so much better than the stovetop. I make brown rice and usually do 1:1 ratio rice to liquid and set it for 15 min high pressure. Then I can just leave it on the keep warm setting without opening the pot until I’m ready to serve it. —Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the Instant Pot. We make jasmine rice in ours using a 1-1 water rice ratio, a drop of oil, and some salt with 3 min on high(manual) and a 10 min natural release.

    I'm usually a rice burner too but every batch I have made in the Instant Pot has been fabulous and doesn't stick at all. It's the only way I make it now! Maybe try the Instant Pot before you invest in something else you'll have to store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The instant pot is fantastic for cooking rice! This website has instructions for a few kinds, I’m linking you to the basic basmati because her instructions are good for rice that isn’t sticky but is perfectly cooked: https://myheartbeets.com/perfect-instant-pot-basmati-rice/

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...