Monday, February 26, 2024

A Middle-Aged Birthday Weekend of Fun

If you've been following along with Hallow's Pray40 for Lent, you know that there has been a lot of discussion around expectations and how they can steal joy.  I learned long ago not to expect too much for my birthday or Mother's Day and since then, I am always blown away by how loved my people make me feel.  My 45th birthday was just lovely, and I wish all birthdays were on Sundays because the whole weekend feels like such a treat.  I came home to these beautiful flowers to start off the celebrating.  They were arranged by Phil's coworker (and Declan's violin teacher) who owns a floral business and they are making our kitchen smell so good!


Phil always buys me flowers on our kids' birthdays, so these are actually in honor of John-Paul's 21st birthday.  Birthday Buddies for life!  When JP was born on my 24th birthday, I have such a vivid memory of sitting in the hospital bed, staring at his handsome little face, doing birthday math.  "When he turns 21, I will turn 45 - woah!"  That seemed like an eternity away, and yet here we are!  


On Friday, I took the day off from work, and Maggie and I fulfilled her 16th birthday present by getting her ears double pierced.  She had to wait until basketball season was over because no jewelry is allowed to be worn on the court.  We went to a tattoo parlor to have the piercings done, and we were a little intimidated about the whole thing, so we asked Andrew's girlfriend, Darian, to come with us because she had been there before.  Darian surprised us by getting her ears pierced right before Maggie's appointment!  Then we all went out for a meat-free lunch :)


On Friday night, we went to Stations of the Cross at church which is one of my favorite Lenten practices, and then came home and watched The Courier in bed on a tv with no ugly cords :)

On Saturday, Phil and I went for a nice long run and then to lunch at an Irish pub:

Horrible photo, but notice the top I'm wearing.

And then off to Providence, RI to see Nate Bargatze!!


If you don't know who Nate is, he's a very funny CLEAN comedian.  Here's a little taste of his stuff:

 

There were about 10,000 people at the show (and Nate was doing another one later for another 10,000 people) so the parking garage nearby was crazy busy.  Phil was driving Vanna White (our 12 passenger van) and dropped me off at the pavillion before looking for a parking spot (I get claustrophobic in parking garages).  He turned onto the road in front of the pavillion, asked a cop where he could park because he thought his van was too big for the parking garage, and the cop said "you can just park right there" and pointed to the side of the road in a no parking zone right in front of the pavillion!  Phil parked, then walked over to tell another police officer that he was told he could park there, and that guy said it was fine, and he just walked across the street to meet me.  Free, front row parking for the win!  We were very excited about that.  Then when we got to our seats, a lady who was heading to her seat in the row in front of us, stopped and turned towards me and was just smiling at me until I realized that we were wearing the same top, and then we both started giggling and that just continued through the whole show.  My jaw literally ached after.  We came home (super quickly because of the handy parking spot) and snuggled with the kids and watched an episode of The Chosen.

On Sunday, we went to the late morning Mass (we are typically a 4pm vigil Mass family) and we stared at the 12 day old newborn in front of us the whole time - talk about a precious gift!  Then we went to brunch and took too many photos because I had actually put on a skirt and blow-dried my hair ;)






On Sunday night, we had pizza and subs for dinner (the real family birthday dinner of chicken cordon bleu will wait until JP comes home in 2 weeks) and then I was seriously surprised to get a few more gifts!  Eamon cleaned out my car, Maggie cleaned up the house and babysat while we were out to brunch, the littles made me cards, my little sister gave me some delicious smelling body scrubs, my mom gave me a beautiful Irish sweater, and my bestie gave me one of my fave candles.  

Phil bought me Hokas after I casually mentioned wanting to try them for my next pair of running sneakers:

Shocked!


And a pair of beautiful Cape Cod earrings, that I tried to get a picture of, and ended getting a photo of some even better gifts :)


For dessert, ice cream, of course!


And just like that, the amazing weekend was over and I am now officially in my mid-forties and feel blessed beyond belief.

27 comments:

  1. Awww this just looks lovely!
    My husband and I are going to see Nate B this summer and I'm SOOO excited. I've rewatched all his specials and seriously have laughed until I can't see from the tears. We quote a lot of his stuff on repeat in our household.

    Gorgeous earrings, LOVE YOUR nails, and what a wonderful weekend. That's so fun that you had your first baby on your birthday. My sister and father share a birthday and it's really special. That same sister got married on MY birthday, so we tend to steal the limelight from each other on special days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's the same Be Funny tour, you will hear some of his jokes that you already know from watching videos, still hilarious, and to be expected, but I was surprised by how many I already had heard. The nails are STICKERS! I did them myself that morning! From Lily & Fox online :)

      Delete
  2. Awww.....Happy birthday Colleen! Your weekend looks so lovely and I'm so happy that you were celebrated so well! I love that Phil brings you flowers for each Childs birthday; what a gift he is! (well, all of you are gifts!)

    Nate is really funny. How cool to get a great parking spot like that? These are what we call signs of Clean Living. Just doing what you do and good stuff happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My dad always said that about good parking spots too!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday!!

    So much birthday fun! And I LOVE Nate Bargatze. His bit about asking his wife what time she leaves for the airport gets me every single time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a lot of funny stuff about his wife, I would love to see them together :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! Happy birthday, Birthday Buddy!!! It sounds so nice, and I love your point about expectations. Those flowers are GORGEOUS! And your new shoes are awesome!!! I have heard such great things about Hokas. It sounds like such a delightful weekend with the people you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing it was missing was some yummy lemon cupcakes ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! It looks like a lovely day and weekend. I hope your son has a great birthday as well! My oldest was born on our anniversary, which means we never celebrate our anniversary on the actual day. Then we got Rex and found out his birthday was the same day! Can we spread things out a little? Apparently no. Anyway, happy happy and I'm glad you had a lovely day and were showered with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That day is just so full of love and lovely people (and dogs!)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to you Colleen and JP! What a wonderful weekend you had! I don't blame you for taking pics after doing your hair and putting on a skirt! You looked beautiful! Your family truly loves you...you must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Cheryl, your comment is so sweet!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, Colleen! It looks like you had a wonderful birthday weekend. 45 looks good on you—you look about 25 to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always pretend that I was 29, and this year I was like "Better move that up to 39 now!" but thank you for the nice comment :)

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! What a wonderful weekend, and you deserve it! Please update us with how you like the Hokas. I know people who rave about them but they just seem so big to me... I've been a New Balance girl for life but need to replace my running shoes soon, so I'd be curious to hear what you think!

    That bouquet is absolutely stunning with all the nuances of pink, peach, and lavender. Love the tradition of flowers for each child's birthday!

    It's been a long time since I've been in a tattoo parlor but when I have gotten piercings there in the past, I'm always pleasantly surprised by how nice everyone is ;)

    Your kids are so sweet too. Nothing more you could ask for than the gift of a clean house, clean car, and babysitting! I'm dreaming of the day that may happen for me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hokas are so nice and new that I don't want to ruin them by running in this gross snowy/muddy weather. I will update once I do though! I would say that the tattoo parlor was to be expected - the owner had lots of tattoos and piercings and she wasn't exceptionally welcoming, but it was fine.

      Delete
  9. I don't know about Nate Bargatze and am laughing out loud at the YouTube you shared. I occasionally think about getting a second set of holes in my ears, then I realize where I'd have to go to do that and lose my gumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a hoot and a half! So are you, as you made me laugh with losing your gumption!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, you young thing!!!! What a lovely celebration for a lovely lady! I am loving Hallow's Pray 40!!! Today's was especially beautiful. And...When I had Flynn, I was 40. I remember sitting with her, and thinking that when she turns 40, I will be 80!!!!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hallow is killing it this Lent! I am reading He Leadeth Me in Adoration each week - so good!

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday! Looked so fun from beginning to end. And we LOVE Nate Bargatze! And Jim Gaffigan as well. I think Fr. Schmitz' series is great but I need to adjust his speaking rate as he talks so fast and my brain can't keep up haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We used to be big Jim Gaffigan fans until he got too political. I hate when that happens. I actually listen to books on 1.25 speed because I think everyone talks too slow, but I only use 1.10 speed for Fr. Mike because he does talk fast!

      Delete
    2. We've seen Jim on stage and loved it- love his wife Jeannie too. Would like to see Bargatze sometime, have only seen his specials! Gotta support (pretty rare) 'clean' comedy.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful birthday weekend, Colleen! You are truly loved by your family. Those flowers are gorgeous and I think Nate Bergatze is hilarious! And I feel the same about Jim Gaffigan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Beth! Please Nate, don't let us down!!!

      Delete
  13. My jaw dropped over those flowers, I think I can smell them all the way down in Memphis!!!! Happy birthday dear Colleen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They got even more beautiful once all of the lilies opened!!

      Delete

Talk to me...