Monday, February 5, 2024

VaLENTine Planning

How terrible is it when Ash Wednesday falls on Valentine's Day?  A day that should be full of feasting and indulging and making everybody around me feel special and loved is now a meatless day of fasting.  Boohoo.

Created by Rosie

So what does a practicing Catholic do?  Celebrate Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras on the day before?  But then that robs us of one holiday.  Celebrate Valentine's Day on the weekend before?  But that is already Superbowl weekend.  Celebrate on the first Sunday of Lent?  Sundays don't count in Lent...seriously 40 days of Lent do not include the Sundays of Lent...so maybe that's the best plan.

For Lent,  we give up sweets every year as a family, so that's a no brainer.  But then I try to do something extra, either giving up something else in addition to the sweets or adding in something that is good for my spiritual life.   The world can be kind of hypocritical about Lent.  I've had people question the practices of Lent, but then be totally on board with New Year's Resolutions or Dry January.  If we can give things up for our physical health, why can't we give something up for our spiritual health?  If we can start a new workout plan with a goal of running a race, why can't we have a Lenten plan in place with a goal of Heaven?  I don't think we have to practice any certain faith to want to try and better ourself.

One of my children's friends asked "How does giving up chocolate actually help someone's faith life?" and it's a valid question.  How does some seemingly insignificant sacrifice I make bring me closer to Jesus on the cross?  I think the easiest response is that every single time we deny ourselves of an earthly pleasure, we recall the sacrifice Jesus made, and we remember to try and  act more like Christ.  The chocolate cravings and denials don't actually make us a better person, but they point to His sacrificial love and remind us of how we should be living.

In past years, we have tried various diets for Lent, but there's a fine line between sacrificing certain foods for the sake of your spiritual life versus just wanting to lose weight.  This year I think my heart's intent would be to lose weight, and therefore I don't want to choose a dietary change for Lent.  I think I need to focus more on adding in prayer time, spiritual readings, going to a daily mass and Adoration hour each week...things along those lines.  I want to picture myself on Easter feeling very close to Our Lord after walking the way of the Cross with Him and then being very excited for the Resurrection.  

So on that note, give me your best ideas for how to grow in my faith this Lent.  What can I realistically add in?  What has helped you in the past?  Feel free to comment as anonymous :)

20 comments:

  1. I am never good at giving food/treats up for Lent. This year I will give up buying a fountain soda on my way to work (I love my refreshing diet drink!). I also try to say a good thought about other drivers who irritate me instead of saying frustrating things out loud. "Oh, they must need to get somewhere." or "Oh, maybe they didn't see me - it is a little foggy." instead of "What a jerk." I find that the effects last after Lent for a while; I want to be a better example for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great - one offering up and one becoming better.

      Delete
  2. I am honestly struggling with this post - is it part satire?

    I mean I never once felt bothered by Ash Wednesday falling on St. Valentine's Day. I get that many people relish in the celebration of that feast day in worldly way (not knocking it) but how much greater of a sacrifice can it be if we see it as an opportunity to deny our indulgent selves instead of what is lost? Our greatest love is Jesus after all.

    My plan this Lent is to wake up ten minutes earlier to read from Humility of Heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it doesn't bother you at all? That's great!

      I've had my birthday fall on Ash Wednesday, my child's birthday fall on Good Friday and those things really bother me, but I think I am way behind you on my path to sainthood.

      Lent is a penitential time, and it seems like it would be normal for people to struggle with it in general, but especially so when it trumps a feast day.

      Delete
    2. I do understand! :) I was actually born on Ash Wednesday (I joke that my parents did need any additional penance that year!) and so, my birthday is pretty much always in Lent and it was difficult to comprehend penance when we would wait until a Sunday to have cake. I am so very glad my parents did that even if it was hard because it showed how important the time of year is!

      I was talking with our priest about Lenten penances in general and he suggested instead of flatly giving up something you like, practice being moderate in it which can be harder for some people. I definitely find it easier to just go without rather than be moderate with something I really enjoy which is actually the discipline I want in my everyday.

      I pray you have a fruitful Lent! Yours and JP's birthday is the day after mine. I will be offering my Rosary for you both.

      May God Bless you and Mary keep you.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this, Colleen. Even when I was a regular church-goer, I didn't participate in Lent, and I appreciate knowing why it is meaningful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the Hallow app and have found it wonderful during different times of the year. I believe they are doing Lent Pray 40 again this year. The guided meditations were a beautiful start to my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect recommendation! Yes, that is what I will try to do...maybe even wake up early to do it first thing....a double sacrifice :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh girl, yes. For whatever reason the drudgery of Lent has really been creeping up on me this year. And I LOVE Valentine's Day so it's a total bummer to me that it's also Ash Wednesday. However I am not a big Mardi Gras person so celebrating Valentine's early works for me. I had spiritual direction today where we talked about the impending Lenten Season and I was instructed to spend time in prayer and ask God what he wants from my Lent and go from there. Is it a sacrifice or something more? So that's what I will be doing this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are priests always like this? JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO! Haha I know it's for the best for us to discern it and be true to ourselves, but I'd so much rather just follow rules.

      Delete
  6. I loved this. Our double issue is Wed is also my Dad's 85th birthday - we will celebrate that on Sunday after. Valentine's Day will probably be celebrated the Tuesday before
    In the past I:
    added daily Mass, prayed a Rosary daily, given up tv during the week (honestly not a sacrifice at this point), gave up non-spiritual reading, added a spiritual book each week during Lent, added an Adoration hour each week, gave up Dunks (at the time I was working outside the home and had at least 2/day - that was a truly horrible Lent), at various times gave up sweets/ice cream.
    I am struggling with what to do this year. I look forward to some more suggestions to ponder.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestions in here, except the giving up coffee, that would be punishing everyone around me :) One Lent I gave up sweetener in my coffee, and that one stuck around. I've tried to do the no cream a few times, but again, punishes everyone else!

      Delete
    2. I understand the coffee. Full disclosure, I just gave up purchasing the coffee premade at Dunks, still had coffee at home. It was so not the same. However, now I cannot drink the premade Dunks.
      Here's to a Lent that transforms our hearts without punishing everyone around us!

      Delete
  7. My current plan is to roll Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday into one feast. We always do breakfast for dinner on Fat Tuesday, so heart-shaped pancakes are a must! And then I found some cute heart shaped pasta at Aldi so I can make a meatless meal on Ash Wednesday that still has a nod to St. Valentine.

    We're giving up sweets as a family, except for Sundays, and I'm giving up Facebook and dedicating 20 minutes to prayer each day (doesn't sound like a lot but it's more than what's happening now, so...) I also really want to find some way to help my older girls practice love and charity to each other. So often they just pick on each other and I guess it's fairly normal for this age (10 and 7) but definitely not the goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK you are so good with your heart meal planning! I gotta get some of that pasta, what a good idea! Giving up social media was always a good Lenten penance for me and led me to give it up completely for years, getting back on for the business, so basically still off except for the summer. I wish I had some advice for kids fighting, but I only have empathy!!

      Delete
  8. I don't know what to do for Lent! For so many years I've been pregnant or with a new born so it seems like with friday fasts my penances have been built in. I want to do something to grow in spiritual discipline and prayer, also so that easter is a celebration. I am not sure what. I like very concrete actions so i will probably choose a book to read or schedule a day to go to an extra mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, it was much easier back then! My husband and I are going to do something Lenten together - declutter and organize the house, divided into 40 spaces. I think the physical cleansing will bring spiritual cleansing as well. And I'm going to try to wake up early (no specific time just earlier than my normal 7:01) and do Hallow lent readings. I think that's enough, anytime I try to BE REALLY GOOD - I just fail faster. Ahhh humility!

      Delete
  9. Love this!! We try to pray together at night, but I've never done scripture study with my kids. Is there an app or book that you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure YOU will figure out the best way to observe Lent this year. The crazy thing is that after reading this, I'm now craving chocolate and I'm not a big fan of sweets. Thanks Colleen!😀

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...