Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Wednesday Workout Wrapup: With a Side of Weather Worries

The problem with running and walking outside is that you have to consider the weather.  And weather whether you like it or not, there's nothing you can do to change it, so you just have to adjust.  This week brings lots of rain...


I personally am a big baby when it comes to needing the right conditions in order to work out outside, which is why I generally only run on treadmills in the summer (I hate the heat) and won't risk a fall on ice/snow in the winter (I love my original joints).  Running in the rain is doable if it's not stormy, but I'd rather not if I can switch up the schedule.  Wet soggy feet are kinda miserable.  

Then there's the additional consideration for when I walk on my lunch break, because I face the dreaded "Will I get too sweaty in my work clothes to then sit back down in the office for another 3 hours before I can go home?" question.  I have my own office, so I don't worry too much about offending others with my potential stench, but it is a thought.  I think I am a fairly normal cardigan sweater, nothing extreme but I certainly prefer to take a shower right away than to sit in sweaty clothes and stink.  So if it's too hot or rainy or snowy, I won't go for a walk outside at work. Usually I will drive the five minutes to the gym and do a 35-40 minute workout, quick shower and drive back.  It's very rushed and stressful and kind of defeats the whole exercise-brings-me-peace feeling.  But what a privileged problem to have.

To overcome all of these potential problems, I try to look at the weather for the week and make a plan.  Then I look at the weather each night for the next day to see if the plan needs to change.  It's a lot of thinking and I long for a job that would just keep me active all day so that I wouldn't have to try to fit in steps and weights.  Anyhoo, here's what went down this past week...

 Wednesday, February 28:

4 mile run on treadmill at gym during lunch

1 mile walk with dog in evening


Thursday, February 29:

EPIC III - Day 13 before work

3 mile walk at lunch

2 mile walk with dog in evening

Friday, March 1:

EPIC III - Day 14 before work (I love her full body workouts the best!)

3 mile walk at lunch

 2 mile walk with dog


Saturday, March 2:

Not quite 6 mile run + 1 mile walk cooldown with dog and littles



Sunday, March 3:

Cardio Pump Class at gym with Maggie

3 mile walk with dog


Monday, March 4:

EPIC III - Day 16 before work

3 mile walk at lunch

3 mile walk after work with dog


Tuesday, March 5:

4 mile run on treadmill at lunch (it was raining)

I was able to wear my birthday gift of Hokas for the first time, and they definitely made the run feel bouncier and easier.  I can't wait to try them on the road once all of this mud goes away!

2 comments:

  1. I love the map view. Wow, you really are close to the water. So cool. I am sitting here debating running today. It's drizzling. Will it get worse? I do not like running on a treadmill. I feel like it messes with my back. Right now, everything messes with my back though. Love Brendan photo bombing your bday gift opening. I wear Asics. Is this your first pair of Hookas, or is that what you always wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so lucky to be surrounded by the ocean :) I hope the weather clears up for you, dreadmills are the worst. This is my first pair, I usually wear Saucony or Brooks, but I like them so far!

      Delete

Talk to me...