Friday, August 8, 2008

Review of "Pocket Guide to the Bible"

After having signed up with The Catholic Company’s Product Reviewer Program, I received Scott Hahn’s Pocket Guide to the Bible.
After having graduated from Franciscan University of Steubenville, where Scott Hahn taught, I was thrilled to be chosen to review a book by this author. I must admit that as a former Scott Hahn student, I knew how insanely brilliant he is, and was a little afraid of this book being too "over-my-head". However, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was just the opposite.

This handy, tiny book (hence why it's called a pocket guide) was just what this sometimes lazy Catholic needed. In the beginning of the book, Scott Hahn explains answers to simple questions about the Bible. I found myself trying to memorize some of these answers as I have been asked the same questions before, and been stuck on how to respond. Where does the Bible come from? Why do we have different books than the Protestant Bible? Who really wrote the Bible? Hahn clearly answers these questions and more.

I must admit though, the best part of the book for me is the last section where Hahn has broken down the Bible according to each book. He then gives a brief explanation of what each book is about, and has a section of where to find specific stories in the Bible. This was and will be so helpful to me as I begin to read the Bible more often.

Although this book is not a page-turning-number-one-best-selling type of book, Scott Hahn and his Pocket Guide to the Bible has inspired me to read God's Word, and what could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...