Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer Reflections: John-Paul

I thought I would write a little bit about each of my babes to remember how much they've changed over the summer. After all, this is a place for recording my family memories hence the title of this blog! So, we'll start with John-Paul, not only because he is the oldest, but also because he has probably grown the most over this summer.
John-Paul had started reading words just before he turned five, which we were so amazed at. Over the next few months, he began reading books, but it was choppy, it seemed like he was reading the words, but not really understanding the story because he was focusing so much on sounding out each word.

This summer has been a complete change. He now reads books with ease, and only occasionally asks for our help. He LOVES to read, and besides playing outside, it is his number one activity. He even reads to his siblings!

The other day, I "caught" him reading to Andrew, and he knew how to speak loudly when the characters in the book were yelling, and how to pause at the end of each sentence, etc. He has really impressed me with his skills.

The only problem is that I'm afraid he's going to be a book-worm. As a mother, I would never discourage reading, but as a formerly shy child, I really want to encourage his social skills. I'm thinking Kindergarten will be very good for him in that way.

Which brings me to another big change...he's in KINDERGARTEN! Already! What happened to my little boy? He now has to wear a uniform, and even a belt. He looks so big, I now know the saying that "The days go slow, but the years go fast" is sooooo true. I don't feel old enough to have a 5 1/2 year old, I'm still 21, aren't I?

Even though he is enjoying his older-boy-status in our house, he always lets me kiss and cuddle him. He is definitely our best helper around the house, and the best listener. He's my sensitive one, and he still gets scared of bad dreams, and pretty much every tv show he watches (even when it's Veggie Tales, Sesame Street, Word World, etc), which we are working on.

John-Paul, we love you and are so proud of you! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...