Friday, February 16, 2018

7QT: Olympics, VaLENTines and Crushing Dreams

Happy Friday!!

1)

I started some Notes from the Couch about the Olympics this year, but then kind of lost interest.  I LOVE seeing the back stories more than the actual sports events this time around.  When I see videos of the athletes training, I say to Phil how I wish I could train like an Olympian, and then he reminds me that means I would have to be best  in the world at a specific sport, and then all my dreams are dashed.  Phil Martin, Olympic Dream Dasher.  

Anyway, from the opening ceremony,I thought the hats were cute (and really expensive!)
But the gloves were U-G-L-Y you ain't got no alibi:


I knew they looked familiar!  Dumb and Dumber!


I also loved Katie Couric's explanation of why the Netherlands rule at Speed Skating:
“It is probably not a news flash to tell you the Dutch are really, really good at speedskating,” she said. “All but five of the 110 medals they’ve won have been on the speedskating oval. Now, ‘Why are they so good?’ you may be asking yourselves. Because skating is an important mode of transportation in a city like Amsterdam which sits at sea level. As you all know, it has lots of canals that can freeze in the winters. So, for as long as those canals have existed, the Dutch have skated on them to get from place to place, to race each other, and also to have fun.”
Rush Hour in the Netherlands :)

And was so glad to see Chloe, Mikaela, and Shaun win gold!




2)

When Phil's not dashing my Olympic dreams, he is buying me the most beautiful VaLENTine's Day present ever:


It's called "A Mother's Kiss" by Marco Sevelli and this picture truly doesn't do it justice...the image appears to jump off the plaque, and the colors are so beautiful.  I saw it at my mother-in-law's house and was moved to tears, and Phil remembered and got me my very own.  (Men - if you're reading this, get your wife this gift for Mother's Day!)

3)

Bet you're thinking, "So what did you get him, Colleen?"  and I would tell you that I gave him a similar VaLENTiney gift with a subscription to join RISE (a 30 day challenge for men created by Chris Stefanick and Bill Donaghy)


We either both really love each other and want to see one another in Heaven or both think the other has a lot of spiritual growth to do!

4)

(Image created by Rosie!)

I gave up Instagram for Lent and it has been so hard and so good.  I think I was getting addicted to the Grams and I know I was spending too much time looking at other people's lives instead of focusing on my own.  Eyes on your own paper!!  I get the urge to pull out my phone to take a picture and post alllllll the time.  I also grab my phone out of habit to check Instagram, but then it's not there (It's there, but I moved it into a folder on my phone so I can't see it).  Do you know what I have done with my time I'm saving from social media?  Family rosaries, a Lenten prayer study, sat with my kids and talked, cleaned the house, walked the dog, etc etc.  As it was when I gave up Facebook, I just might never go back on.  We shall see!

5)

How gorgeous is she??

We are watching Victoria (Season 1 Episode 4) and while I want to keep watching, it's definitely moving very fast in terms of character development.  Victoria hangs out with her cousin Albert for like a weekend, doesn't seem to like him, they have one dance together and one date in the forest where they fight, and then she proposes to him.  Say what?!?!  I do love Lord Melvin and wish she could have married him instead.  Phil and I were wondering if she would end up marrying Albert, then realized we should probably really know this from our history classes at school.  So basic.  So ashamed.  Turns out the actor and actress dated in real life too!

6)

Eamon (11) and Alexander (6) had their yearly physicals yesterday during flu season - why do I need to bring healthy kids to the doctor's office during flu season?  I kept yelling at them not to touch anything and we sanitized our hands a bunch.  

Hands on your lap!!

Anyway, they are both doing fine, Eamon said once again that he wants to be a priest when he grows up (our Doctor thinks it's so sweet how he answers the same year to year) and Xander said he wanted to be a Baker "so I can eat all the treats".  Xander is about 50% for weight and height which surprised me because I always think of him as a big kid (he was by far our biggest baby and toddler!) but he's really thinned out.  Eamon is only 30% for height and 25% for weight which is moving along the same curve as always but for a boy who loves basketball, it's depressing to hear.  I know he's so skinny because he burns more calories than we can get in him!  He is being watched for some slight scoliosis in his back and she thinks he might have a dust allergy too as he is typically sneezy/runny-nosed and red eyes.  I need to buy another one of these and these and set him up like we did when Declan tested positive for a dust mite allergy.  If only they had a mother who could dust!  (I can't because, you guessed it, I'm allergic too!)

7)

Andrew had his 7th grade science fair and did an experiment on how sight affects smell.  It was a pretty easy project to research and execute if anyone is interested to copy it.  

Andrew, the Pied Piper

He got the idea from Haley who was able to compete at the State level with it.  I tell all my kids that they should get a good grade on their Science Fair, but not good enough to get sent to the next level.  Ain't nobody got time for that.  Colleen Martin, State Science Fair Dream Crusher.  It runs in the family ;)

And that's what's going on in our neck of the woods.  Linking up with Kelly.  Have an awesome 1st weekend of Lent!  We are heading into our February break and hoping everyone stays healthy!!!

3 comments:

  1. You're so funny, Colleen.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for giving up Instagram. I gave up Facebook, but that’s so much easier for me—it makes me angry a lot, whereas Instagram is my happy place and I find myself inspired by all the Catholic gals I follow. But now I’m thinking that means I should have given up Instagram. It would have been a tougher sacrifice!! I am weak...

    I love your blog—so I hope to see you here more, now that you’re not on IG. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up instagram for Lent, too. I'm typically on it every evening but had started to check it periodically throughout the day, also. Ugh, I don't want to be consumed with social media like that. I'm intrigued with your giving up facebook. When did you do this and did you get any pushback from family/friends?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...