Friday, January 19, 2024

Week in Review: Inflation, Donation, Taxation

Happy Friday!  Today it is supposed to lightly snow all day here, probably not enough to cancel anything but just enough to make things difficult.  Brendan has swim lessons on Friday afternoons while Alexander is at Swim Team practice and I took this photo of him while we were waiting for his lessons to start.  He then took my phone and zoomed in on his mouth and said "Oh wow, my tooth looks so weird!"
 

Yes, that's because it was about to fall out :)  He was really hoping that "it would fall out at school so everybody would know and the nurse would give me a little tooth container and then you wouldn't have to put it in a plastic bag".  Luckily, the tooth fairy remembered to visit that night, or else he would have had a very disappointing Lost Tooth Experience.

*Side note about that Tooth Fairy - When she was younger, and JP lost his first tooth, she did the math and realized that she would be spending a lot of money at our house in teeth, so she only gave $1 for the first tooth and 50 cents per tooth thereafter.  Now that she is more financially stable, she hands out dollar bills willy nilly and the older kids do not care for it one bit.  She tries to explain INFLATION to them but they don't want to hear it.  And this, my dears, is why the baby of the family is always spoiled.


Our parish had a second collection for the parish school, so they had school students wearing uniforms passing the baskets and there was a little cutie collecting donations as people left church:


On Sunday my big boys safely drove back to college with their cousin:

JP usually drives with his eyes open ;)

I already miss them so much!!  

The weekend was also spent helping Xander with his presentation for his COOL EXPERI-MINT:


I hope we he gets an A!

On Monday, the holiday, Phil and I drove to a town about 30 minutes away, took a great strength class that our friend taught, showered, and then ran some errands and went out to lunch.  The restaurant was still decorated for Christmas and this was my view from the table:


But the view across the table was even better:


They gave us homemade cinnamon swirl bread and had a big salad bar and we will definitely go back!

Speaking of food, Phil made these chicken meatballs in the instant pot for dinner one night (he omitted the oregano and cooked them in a pad thai sauce instead of tomato sauce) and we ate them with rice (kids), cauliflower rice (adults) and coleslaw for a yummy meal.  We need to double the recipe next time because we all wanted more meatballs!  I think I will also try cooking them in barbecue sauce next time, just to switch it up.


Over the weekend I was craving a baked good, so I made some Paleo Pumpkin Muffins then added the leftover pumpkin puree (plus a generous sprinkle of cinnamon) to a big pot of chili for lunches this week, it was so yummy!  It gives me the highest form of satisfied achievement when I use up leftover ingredients.


Maggie has a home game tonight and Eamon has an away game and is basketball season over yet??

Maggie is 5th from left

Oh man, when I saw this meme I just had to send to Phil because I always have to double check!  But for me it's that the lights are out and the dog's crate door is closed.


Anyone else started their taxes yet?  


Y'all know I love to do ours on Taxact (use that link for 20% off) and this year was even more fun because of the new Schedule C we have to file for The Ice Cream Cottage.  Every time I get a document, I add it in and watch our bottom line change - thrilling!  I'm not kidding, it really is one of my favorite activities.

Have a wonderful wintery weekend everyone!

20 comments:

  1. My eyes bugged out when you said you really do enjoy putting documents into your tax software. That, my friend, is where you and I part ways on our similarities. Ha. I used to do our taxed, but once Coach became a partner and we have to file a whatchamacallit extension thing I handed the duties over to my friend since 2nd grade who does taxes as a job. *shudder*

    I love the tooth fairy story. As a middle child who often felt things weren't fair, I gave very little for lost teeth and I stayed consistent, when I remembered. ;)

    Cute photos of the kids and I'm glad JP drives with his eyes open.

    Your day off date sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be the Consistency Queen when it comes to how I raise my kids. We have certain ages and stages when we allow them to do things, and being the 5th of 6 kids, whose little sister got to do EVERYTHING at the same time as me (so unfair!) I try to stick to it. I just feel like how can I give 50 cents to a 7 year old in 2024? At least that 50 cents seemed like it could buy more back in 2010. Ok I am just rationalizing for why I literally spoil my baby even though I am against it theoretically!!!

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Taxes. The sooner they are over the better for me. We have an accountant (<3) do it for us, but still there is lots of effort on my end AND this year we owe both corporately and personally and just SIGH.

    I laughed so hard at the marriage meme because this happens almost every night in our house, but it is my husband asking about the door!!

    I am now craving chili. CRAVING it. This may make itself on to our menu next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to worry about the door, but then we got a keyless entry so now it's always locked and everybody in the family knows the code. It was a good purchase because we have so many big kids coming and going that we would have had a lot of (potentially lost) keys out there. And yeah, I have already made 2 pots (so 2 week's worth of lunches) of chili this year and it's only January 19 :)

      Delete
  3. Those tooth fairies keep us all on our toes don't they? I don't envy you with basketball season... it's the one sport that makes me want to curl up and die. (The back and forth, the squeaks, the gym echo... it's too much.) I haven't started my taxes but probably will soon. It's not as much fun for me as you, but there is something satisfying about getting them completed. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy it is indoors and the games are relatively fast if they start on time. I think I'm just extra burned out on basketball this year because both E and M are on Varsity which is a 2-3 hour 6 day a week commitment and there is only one court at our high school so they always have seperate practices that change each day (One early and one late). Plus they don't get to play much because they are certainly not the best on their teams. Seems like a lot of work with little reward when they would both be amazing on JV. I think they are both going to do Winter Track next year, which means they will have the same practices and meets so that would be wonderful!

      Delete
  4. Our taxes are all ready to go except for a couple of forms we are waiting on. Unfortunately, the numbers are not in our favor this year, boo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo is right! I don't think I would love taxes as much if I had to pay - actually I know I wouldn't!

      Delete
  5. What is this restaurant? Love a salad bar !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Old Grist Mill Tavern in Seekonk

      Delete
  6. I'm laughing at your Tooth Fairy Inflation story. I suppose, you really have to think ahead with that many kiddos. ;)
    Girl, I am down for a salad bar too! I miss those so much.
    Taxes give me the heebie jeebies; I hate writing those checks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so shocked to see a salad bar that made it through the pandemic :)

      Delete
  7. I love it that you get so much joy out of watching your bottom line change. And I didn't even think of the tax implications of starting a business!!!! Hopefully it is pretty straightforward??? I find taxes extremely confusing just as a baseline so I admire that you tackle it yourself.

    Love that the Tooth Fairy has to deal with inflation just like everyone else.

    Those pumpkin muffins sound great! I may have to try them out!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work in a CPA firm, doing taxes as my job and I think it's fun and not that complicated, but I'm glad people disagree because that's why they pay so well!

      Delete
  8. The tooth fairy over here brings gold dollar coins and I know if we ever deviate from this policy the bigs would cry foul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had done that, what a great tradition. When your kids use them to buy items, do they get fun comments?

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous day date! I'm such a huge fan of day dates and I feel like that preference will only get stronger as I get older ;)

    The tooth fairy is unpredictable around here, depending on how much cash is on hand. There have been a few unexpected tooth losses that were rewarded with a little toy. But on average, 50 cents to $2 is the typical range ($2 only a few times, typically when that child is having a really rough time of things for other reasons and the extra dollar is enough to flip the frown upside down!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trying that recipe today looks so good!
    I have made a couple of other recipes you have shared and they all have been so good! I have 3 littles and am always looking for easy and healthy dinners ideas! Please keep sharing those !
    Greetings from Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Indiana before! So glad my recipe sharing is helping you, it's a struggle to cook dinner every night :)

      Delete

Talk to me...