Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Declan Turns Ten

On April 1, we were in the car travelling home from Easter in Maryland.  

I said to Declan "It's your last day being nine!" 

He replied "Oh yeah!  And it's April Fools Day!"  

I said "Actually, they cancelled April Fools Day this year"

Declan whines "What?  They did?  Whyyyyy?"

;)

That's our Declan Kolbe in a nutshell!  The sweetest, most generous, innocent, holy, nervous, athletic, kind, indecisive, active, outdoorsy and handsome little boy who just turned double digits.  He's the type of kid who cherishes every compliment, treasures every gift, holds on to memories and retells stories of the good times past.  You just want to give him the world because of his simple and transparent joy at literally anything.  He was thrilled that I bought some birthday cake flavored animal crackers to send into school as a treat for his classmates ("YES!! I was hoping I could bring in a treat for everyone!") so excited to pick "any donut he wanted" on the way to school (he got a Churro donut), and kept covering his eyes so as not to ruin the surprise when he walked by the kitchen as I was making his cake.  On the morning of his birthday, I asked him how he felt and he said "I think I do feel a little bit taller!"  Declan was such an adorable and easy baby...

0

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8


10

Declan chose shepherd's pie "with only corn, no yucky green beans" for dinner and a chocolate sheet cake with Andes mints on top for his dessert.  Easy peasy!




Phil bought some trick sparkler candles :)


Gammy and Grandpa joined us and gave the birthday boy some cash which he was very excited to receive.




Nana and Gramps gave him a present while we were visiting, a book about St. Maximilian Kolbe, one of his patron saints.  As is the tradition when a Martin child turns TEN, Declan received a tablet and case.  As a huge Snoopy fan, he also got a Peanuts water bottle with $10 inside.  




As is also birthday tradition, Declan got to use my foot massager before bedtime...which gets pushed back from 7:30 to 8:00 now that he is double digits.  What a special day!


I threw together some videos from my phone of our DK, just to make myself reminisce for days gone by way too fast:

Happy Birthday Declan Kolbe Martin!!  We love you to the moon and back and back again!!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute! Also...April Fool's Day is cancelled...haha! That's a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that he just thought it was cancelled for real...gotta love the innocence. At least there were no tricks pulled that day!

      Delete
  2. Oh Declan! Happy Birthday! I remember when you were 10 days late. And then my 2014 baby was also 10 days late. Maybe the two of you will end up at Franciscan together some day and be 10 days late friends. Looks like he had the perfect day for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that happens, we should make them shirts or something :)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday!! That picture of him and Maggie w the cake is just the sweetest - the looks on their faces! Thats how I probably look when cake is around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo, their faces are so sweet!!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to Declan! He sounds like a wonderful kid. And I love that he said he felt taller! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so innocent, it's adorable. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet boy. I love these tributes. It's so fun to learn all about your guys. I am blown away at home very much his little guy photos look like Brendan. I never noticed that before. Do you see that? Does he get that a lot? The April Fool's Day prank cracked me up. He's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they look that much alike, but I can understand when people think they do. They definitely look related! Once you know their personalities, they look even less alike :)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, Declan!!! I just love the birthday treat of using your foot massager! So sweet and funny the things our kids deem to be super special ;) He seems like such a wonderful kid and you've captured his personality so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids always wanted to use it and one day I said "Everybody can use it on their birthday!" and that was that...and of course they don't forget!

      Delete

Talk to me...