Friday, April 12, 2024

Week in Review: No Soggy Waffles, No Ugly Shops, and No Wasted Food

Another rainy April day here, but it's FRIDAY!!

My dad, who was a builder and an ice cream shop owner, built us this box to keep our waffle cones in down at The Ice Cream Cottage.  A lightbulb goes inside at the top and keeps them fresh and crisp.  In the humid summer months, the issue with waffle cones is that they get soft and nobody wants a soggy waffle...that's actually how I learned the order of North, East, South, West when I was a kid:

"Never Eat Soggy Waffles" 

#tellmeyougrewupinanicecreamshopwithouttellingmeyougrewupinanicecreamshop  


We are so lucky to have my parent's expertise and skills.  Isn't she cute?  I think I'm going to get a sign made to put on that will read "The Cone Cottage".


In other Ice Cream Cottage news, Phil and I received an award from our town last night for beautifying and improving the town with our building renovation.  Here's a reminder of the shop before and after:





Of course, we had to bring my parents with us who were instrumental in getting The Cottage beautiful!  Filet mignon for everyone!!  Except me, I don't like steak.  The fish was delish :)


The dinner was held at The Wamsutta Club, which is inside a beautiful mansion built in 1821.





We were very honored to have been chosen.

Eamon had a project for his AP Biology class, where they had to visit the local zoo and create enrichment projects for the animals.  His group hid food for the bears, and I'm glad my dried berries that went missing from the pantry went to good use :)


Like most of the USA, we spent Monday afternoon doing a little solar eclipse watching.  The next time we have one in the US, these boys will be grown men of 32, 30, and 27 years old!  We will have to recreate this photo, God willing:


Andrew and Fr. Dave, the President of Franciscan University, watched the eclipse on campus:


I saw it from my office:


Haha, just a nerdy accounting joke.  E clips.  I actually did go outside to view it.

I kind of forgot to do the grocery shopping this past weekend, and so we are eating our freezers down and it has been...interesting.  Previously frozen buns are not the kids favorite thing, but younger Colleen was a bit obsessed with not wasting food.  Actually, she still is.  Is there anything more satisfying than creating a recipe with the odds and ends you've saved?  Methinksnot.

I ordered this tuna salad for lunch at work for $5.00 and it gets delivered right to my desk, which is such a nice perk of working in a school district.  It comes with a pita and fruit that I bring home for the kids.


I saw this recipe online, and I think it seems so interesting!  I will be making it soon ~ Chicken Caesar Salad Pizza:


After all the Easter goodies being ingested at our house (waste not want not!) I had to send this meme to Phil:


Honestly, I'm just in training for the large consumption of ice cream that I will be eating this summer!  I can't wait!  A little ice cream before bed helps me sleep sooooo well.  That's a good marketing point...sweet dreams....gotta remember that.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!!  

19 comments:

  1. Congrats on the award. Well deserved! And that little Cone Cottage is TOO CUTE! Love it. And yes, no one wants soggy waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom, a mother of nine, had a little bowl of ice cream every night before bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother sounds like an amazing woman :)

      Delete
  3. If I forgot to go shopping one weekend, we'd be eating pasta and more pasta. That's about the only thing I have on my shelves! Great that you pulled off some good meals!
    Have Sweet Dreams with Ice Cream ... from the Ice Cream Cottage.... Sounds like a successful marketing strategy for me! I know my teenage boys would line up for cones.
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were deciding on names for the cottage, I thought of Happy Endings...until we realized the other connotation. But I could have used Sweet Dreams! Ah well, people probably would have thought we were a mattress shop ;)

      Delete
  4. A well-deserved award! The cottage looks both fresh and vintage (in the best way) -- like something that has been a staple in the community for years. And the cone cottage is too cute! I never thought about the potential for soggy cones!

    That AP biology project is way more fun than anything I ever did in AP biology! Super cute idea. I'm sure the bears enjoyed the berries ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! the bears enjoyed the berries and nuts, but my empty pantry did not :)

      Delete
  5. That meme at the end made me snort laugh. LOVE IT.

    THE CONE COTTAGE. Oh my goodness, so adorable. And practical!

    Congrats on your award! What a lovely honor to receive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me snort laugh too, but that's because we have great personalities :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness. I have not read your blog in years. Today I read something that reminded me of your blog, so I looked it up. I was thrilled to see that it still exists and there are recent updates. I will be busy catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Welcome back! I try to blog 2-3 times a week :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the award! This talk about waffle cones makes me think I need to get one soon. I wish I lived closer to your location - I would find myself there a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are sooooo good. It's impossible to make them and not taste at least one!

      Delete
  8. I love the last meme. My body always looks like I have a good personality. Congrats on receiving an award. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new Cone Cottage; your father is brilliant! Congratulations to you and Phil (and the whole gang) on the award; much deserve!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is the bestest builder and dad!

      Delete
  10. The Cone Cottage is adorable!! Congratulations on your award. What an honor. And the improvements you guys have made to that building are definitely award worthy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...