Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Halloweenie Thingies

Let's talk Halloween, shall we?

The Candy

As a kid, I really loved any gummy candies, extra points if they were sour.  Give me all the sour patch kids, swedish fish, Nerds ropes, peach rings, gummy grapefruits and sour watermelons.  My kids definitely take after me and love trying any new sweet and sour concoctions like Nerds Clusters, sour skittles and these gummy candies:


As an adult, my tastes have evolved a bit.  I can't tolerate too many straight gummy candies anymore (my blood sugar skyrockets and I feel jittery) but Trader Joes makes these addicting Super Sour Scandinavian Swimmers that are delicious.  I have tried some low sugar gummy candies that actually hit the spot but they are expensive.  Currently I tend more towards a chocolate candy if I'm craving a sweet treat, with my favorites being KitKats, Snickers and Hershey Bars, oh my gosh this box is perfect!

Bone-appetit ;)

I don't think we will ever be a house that gives out full size candy bars, although that is a good goal for when we have disposable income one day.  Everybody loves those people!  We have always just left out a bowl on our front steps and taken the kids trick or treating. The thought of being home and answering the doorbell all night sounds terrible to me since I typically avoid answering the phone or a door, but I'm thankful for those who do it!

The Songs

There are a surprising amount of Halloween songs!  The kids ask Alexa to play Spooky Scary Skeletons, This is Halloween, Monster Mash, Thriller, Ghostbusters, The Purple People Eater, I Want Candy, We Got the Treats, and Love Potion Number Nine.

The Costumes

We've already had the kids dress up in Halloween costumes this year for the Halloween Dance at their school last weekend.  Xander's class put on a haunted stage walk through with a prison theme so we bought him an inmate outfit.  

That's a fake bruise on our favorite inmate

Declan and Brendan went as Milk and Cookie because it was the best financial option from amazon, plus it was cute!


Because my kids go to a Catholic school, they also have to dress up as saints on November 1st for All Saints Day.  Here's a few photos from the past:

2010

2018

2019


Overall, Halloween is not my favorite holiday as a parent - too scary, too evil/weird, too late, and too much work when we have to have a whole other costume ready to go the next morning.  I hate hate hate all the creepy decorations that focus on death and blood and violence.  We only have a few pumpkins and one sign that says "Welcome to Our Haunted House" that's not spooky at all.  But to nobody's surprise, the kids love it and so we power through the costume changes and late bedtimes and sugar highs for the lovely childhood memories :)

What are your favorite Halloween candies?  Do you decorate?  Any costumes planned yet?

2 comments:

  1. Only one kid is going in costume- he made a minecraft mask and outfit. Everyone else is too old 😞.
    I tend to give out 2 smaller candies, and anymore try to make sure we have nut free and gluten free options.
    We carve a pumpkin or two, but I'm not feeling the decorating bug this year. Bit Halloween is nice - you can still hand out candy if you didn't decorate your yard with witches and gravestones. It's a low bar, which suits me!
    That bruise looks real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The low bar is a very good point :) Only one trick-or-treater left? What are your kid's ages?

      Delete

Talk to me...