Monday, September 28, 2026

Week in Review: Sickies, Stormies, Studies, and Service

Happy Friday, errr Monday!  Xander and Brendan stayed home sick on Friday, so I used a sick day to play nurse and I brought them to the doctor to get tested for all the things before our big stormy Nor'easter weekend.  They were negative for everything, so just a run of the mill virus it twas.

Happy to have the throat swab and nose swab over with!

Out in Ohio, Maggie brought her friend to Urgent Care because she was feeling sick with mouth/throat pain.  Maggie volunteered because "I thought she probably had strep and I'm immune to strep since I had my tonsils out."  Girl!  That's not even true, but she hasn't had strep since, sooooo hmm.  Anyway she took her friend who ended up being diagnosed with Hand Foot and Mouth.  Ugh!  So painful and soooo contagious.  Praying Maggie doesn't get it and that she will somehow be immune to that because she has no tonsils ;)

All up in each others business

"Studying"

Intramurals

Xander 's Cross Country meets are usually at 3:30 and I get out of work at 4 so I don't get to see them, but Phil was able to catch one last week:



Sophomore Year

One of my nieces had a graduation from nursing school party last weekend (she since found out she passed her boards - yay!) and her dad (my brother) had printed out an old nursing photo of my mom using AI to enhance the colors:

What a beauty!

JP drove from Pittsburgh to Steubenville to help Andrew study for a Cell Physiology exam.  He had all of his old notes and is a great teacher.  Like father, like son!


I made Brown Butter Maple Pumpkin Cookies last weekend and they were delish!


Brendan wanted me to take a photo of his lego house:




When the kids all left for college, they left behind "Grape" the Kia.  Phil was going to switch to driving Grape instead of Vanna White to save on gas, but then Grape wouldn't start.  Wethinks a light was left on and killed the battery.  AAA came and jumped it but then it was dead the next day, so Phil went to Autozone and bought a new battery and installed it.  Meanwhile Andrew called to let us know that the Honda Odyssey they have out at school is having issues again.  One of the sliding doors won't shut all the way, and that makes it beep while driving.  Also the bottom is falling off but they ziptied something to something.  All I can do is be grateful that I just finished paying off my car early because I think we will be in the market for a replacement soon.


Elisabeth had mentioned making Egg Bites for breakfast, and I was inspired to do the same.  They were good!  Like a crème brulee consistency.  I think I would like them with some veggies in there next time, and maybe cheddar cheese.


I love what we call a Chinese Chicken Salad that's just a regular salad with grilled chicken and chow mein noodles and Yum Yum sauce as dressing.


I made Thai Coconut Chicken Ramen for the sickies in the house, and we all enjoy this meal:

 

Andrew sent a photo of his meal prep - chicken, potatoes and green beans.


Eamon turned TWENTY over the weekend!  I can't believe he's no longer a teenager.  He went with his cousin to a Sam Barber concert:

Two golfers at a country concert



He spent his birthday playing in a football tournament, watching golf, and hanging out with his siblings and friends.  So nice to have family around to celebrate with!  I also bought him his plane ticket to Vienna for January, when he will take his turn studying abroad.


Our family group chat was blowing up with this one:


What do you think the answer is??

And last, but not least, JP made it safely to Guatemala on Saturday and is completing his mission this week with Operation Walk.  I've received one photo so far, of his hotel:


But I can see he's busy at the hospital all day, and I can't wait to hear all of the stories when he comes home.  What a good doobie!


I hope you all had a great weekend and stayed safe in the storm.  Personally I can't wait for the rain to stahp already, but I'm grateful we are all safe and sound.

1 comment:

  1. I know the answer is one, but there's probably some trick that I'm missing. PEMDAS all the way!
    Cars - they always break down at the same time. I nagged my husband about the oil in the old car my kid uses in town - turns out we hadn't changed the oil since fall 2024 - eek! It only had 5000 additional miles, but there wasn't much oil left in the system. We've zip-tied parts to cars before, and I've even just chucked a part that fell off into the back and kept going. For charging batteries, one of those portable jumpers (which can also act as a charger for phones, etc) is so much easier than waiting for a tow truck. We've used our several times as my daughter likes to play with the indoor light from the back seat, and I wouldn't notice it on due to the sunny day.
    My 7th grader started XC this fall - he's not fast but it's good to build endurance for basketball. The atmosphere is really positive at the meets - parents are cheering everyone on, not just their own kids. And it's over a lot faster than a track meet is!
    I hope everyone stays healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...