Friday, December 16, 2011

7 Quick Takes: It's Almost Christmas!!! Edition



1) Oh my goodness, December is FLYING by...right?  This is the last weekend to get any shopping done before Christmas!


2)

I *think* I only have a couple things left to buy for some siblings-in-law  sibling-in-laws  Phil's siblings.  I've done all the rest online, and I'm almost good-to-go.

3)
Although I never really feel that I'm good-to-go until I wrap all the presents and pile them according to recipient.  Because above all else, the presents must be fair.  The last thing I want to hear on Christmas morning is "It's not fair that so and so got a stereo and I only got ice skates." (Which is what SOMEONE said back when SOMEONE was ten and coveting her sister's new stereo.)

4)

After about 6 months of hearing John-Paul proclaim his love for trash packs, and how much he hopes to get them for Christmas.....this week he decided he would rather have "boy squinkies".

Well, guess what I bought him over a month ago?

Trash packs.

And I thought I would be the coolest.mom.ever.

I just can't keep up.

5)

Speaking of "keeping up"(get it?)....this trampoline is on our ultimate wish list for the kids.  We don't have a huge yard, but I think we could find a place for this.  If it means they will go outside all the time to jump until their heart's content...then we would love it!

6) Andrew's teacher called us this week to let us know that a parent called to complain that Andrew told her child that "Santa doesn't bring the toys.  Our parents do." We've been through this Santa debate before, and in the end we don't tell our kids the truth (Santa is fake) or lie to them (Santa is real and brings you presents).  

We try to stay somewhere in the middle by avoiding their questions and just asking them what they believe instead.  And we emphasize that St. Nick was a real man and Santa is a story about him.  Which would be fine if my kids live in a bubble.  But they don't, and while they should not go around dashing the hopes and dreams of little children who's parents tell them that Santa is real...they should also not get in trouble for telling the truth.  

John-Paul got in trouble for doing something similar back in first grade as well.  I'm not looking for a Santa/No Santa debate here, but I would like some advice on how to talk to Andrew about not telling everyone that Santa is a fake without telling him to lie.

7) Well, #6 was so long, I think I'll skip this one.

Merry *Almost* Christmas!!

10 comments:

  1. Sophie van WijnenDecember 16, 2011

    Colleen, about the Santa thing. Here in the Netherlands we only have St Nick, but the same dilemma. The way we solve it is by explaining that St Nick may no longer be with us in person, but the essence of his teaching is still here in the hearts of all people who have taken over his 'duties'. Furthermore, the fact that this is the case should not be told to little ones who are too young. Thus children are let in to the secret and it is a package deal: once you know it, you're not allowed to tell the young children. Works a treat around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the gift thing and feeling good-to-go. Until I start wrapping, counting and calculating $ amount spent, I'm not satisfied. And then, I still fret whether the kids will feel satisfied and that it was 'fair'. Ugh. So far, I've been able to keep with the three gifts and the dollar amount is pretty close as well.

    Thankfully, this year the kids' gift list has stayed the same for the most part. And what hasn't I've decided it was just too late to change their minds and left it at that. It's tough though when you buy something a month before, score a great deal and are pleased that you will indeed be the.best.mom.ever for the gift and then they go and change their minds. double ugh.

    Enjoy your weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has laid out all the gifts twice already--once to make sure it was "fair," once to be sure it LOOKS "fair" after we decide what gets wrapped from us and what is left open from Santa.

    Which brings me to the Santa question...sigh. I have no idea how to deal with it. This is such a "first world" problem to have. I'd like to sit on the side of the fence you've taken, but my husband feels strongly about the "magic" aspect of Christmas, and letting it last as long as possible. I think it's coming soon for us, though--Alex is already talking lots about people who "don't believe in Santa Claus." So far it hasn't occurred to him that the fact all these people don't might be significant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, am I the only one who thinks it odd that a parent called to complain about that? I mean, deal with it yourself! If that's all you've got to complain about, life is going pretty well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Allison. I'm pro Santa, but if another child told mine that Santa wasn't real then I would deal with my child in my way. I would kindly let the other parent know what happened and they can deal with thier child in their way. Sometimes kids just say and believe what their parents do without thinking about what others believe and don't realized they are hurting others and sometimes kids just want to be cruel and then there are kids who just go with the flow and aren't bothered either way.

    My only sugguestion would be to allow him to say this is what I (or my family) believes and to say to the other child if it comes up that is okay for him to believe something different. It's not much but it would help him to not lie and the other child can still believe what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela MartinDecember 16, 2011

    Colleen, I'm with the gal from the Netherlands! Andrew is old enough to understand our love for Jesus and our happiness about His birth overflows in our hearts and makes us want to give gifts to others. Santa is part of the "magic" of Christmas - he helps us to understand God's great gift to us of unconditional love, and when we share that love with others, we are "being Santa" or "helping Santa." Once you're old enough to understand that parents "help Santa" by buying toys for their kids, you have to help "keep the secret"so that younger children still can enjoy the magic of Christmas. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so hard to be fair...and I think that the stereo was much better than ice skates. :) Does that open old wounds???
    On the santa thing...all I can say is, I am glad I got through it unscathed. Sorry your kids get called out on it....You have some great advice here from some other peeps too.

    A trampoline?? That is one thing my girls wanted for years and years and my insurance lady told me to never get one cause of injuries. Well, can I just tell you that I am tempted to get one now because I want one??? yeah, I would never hear the end of it from two young ladies.

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the Santa question is always so hard so I'm taking the easy route and staying out:)
    The trampline though....love! We saved up this year and the girls will be finding exactly that under the tree this year! I CAN'T wait!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will LOVE that trampoline. Boys outside burning energy. Who would call a teacher to complain? That's weird. Isn't there bigger issues for teachers to deal with in classrooms?
    Have a great Christmas Colleen, with your darling little (actually big) family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My, your Santa cartoons are hilarious! Merry Christmas to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...