Monday, March 30, 2020

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

We've reluctantly settled into a homeschool/homework routine over here on the East Coast and I've discovered some things I really enjoy about this new setup, such as...

Running the dishwasher every night and emptying it every morning.  So soothing.

Playing games in the evening - The Game was a new one for us, Ticket to Ride, and we bought this one for our soon to be six-year-old's birthday coming up this week.  
Note: Game prices seem to be really high!  I guess COVID19 is helping out that industry.

Collecting the mail each day.

Dumping out a 1000 piece puzzle and watching everybody help put it together over a few days.
Note: Puzzle companies are also ridiculously raising rates, the ones I bought for $9.99 right when the quarantine started are now $49.99!


Baking or prepping food every morning.

Reading on the living room couch at night with lavender oil diffusing.


Getting so many hugs from my little guys (they are going to be devastated to go back to school).

Walking the dog off and on all day long.

Having shorter school days and less homework.

Finding new shows to watch, currently on season one of Jamestown.  Phil hates it, I'm intrigued by it.

Watching family movies a couple times a week (always with popcorn!).  Would love any good suggestions.  We watched Ghost Town with the older boys, and it was so funny, but a bit inappropriate at times, which always makes me squirm for my kids.

Making a big pot of coffee in the morning and drinking it from my favorite mug.

Picking little areas to organize (especially on rainy days) make me so happy every time I look at them.  This spice rack organizer brings me joy!

Watching my little ones learn new skills - tying shoes, wiping their own behind, writing words.  Things I might have missed at work.

Putting on an audiobook for the kids, and watching them snuggle with blankets and pillows.  These cozy blankets they got for Christmas are sure getting lots of use.

Going on "Coyote Hunts" with the little boys to see if we can find the neighborhood coyote.  (Phil and I did see him recently on a walk, and it was terrifying as he started to follow us, and we had to run away!)

Getting lots of sleep (when I don't wake up in the middle of the night, worried about the state of our world).  Going to bed by 10 and waking up at 7 = 9 hours a night :)

Lighting a Yankee Candle every morning, so glad I stocked up on those recently.  Turning on lamps, keeping the house clean (steam mopping brings me peace)...all to create a cozy atmosphere to live in.

Two weeks of nine people living at home full-time = A Very Dirty Floor
What makes your good list lately?  Spill the secrets :)

7 comments:

  1. We did an entire 1,000 piece puzzle last night. We also stayed up until 1 a.m. to watch Monsters, Inc. We've organized the pantry, the game closet, and the homeschool/art supplies. We go on walks, but it's so rainy here today, ugh. Maybe we'll just go anyways...we have 8 here during this quarantine, we were down to four kids still at home out of sixteen, but two more moved back in...I am super thankful, as it is quite fun most of the time.
    Della

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 16 kids...my hero! :) I'm so happy you left a comment, and now I've added you to my blogroll so I can keep up with your beautiful family!

      Delete
  2. I also just posted some things I'm thankful for ;-) As for movie recommendations, I put this big list together of movies based on books and there are a lot of good family movies on there. Many can be watched for free or with popular fee or library based subscriptions: https://bookishfamily.blogspot.com/2020/03/100-movies-great-books-free.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that liost must have taken you so much time!! Thank you for that. I've also added you to my blogroll so I can access your book recs and movie recs easily. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. It did take more than a few minutes ;-) But it also helps me find great things to watch. The Pride and Prejudice version on Prime is actually really good! And my kids and I are reading David Macaulay's Mill and then we can watch the PBS show on youtube. It brings me back to my work days as a law librarian . . . I had to do a lot of linking. I'm glad I can put my skills to use because I really enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I noticed that about the puzzles. Price gouging!! And now the ones like yours and similar are sold out. I should have gotten them while I was able.

    My husband and I are now working from home. And while I'm obviously thankful we still have our jobs it doesn't leave us much time for household projects and hobbies like I was hoping for. Oh well, we must count our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our whole family just finished watching the animated TV series "Avatar: The Last Airbender." You have to buy each of three seasons on Amazon to stream, but it was worth it! My oldest is 19 and my youngest is 2 and they all watched it and loved it! (Even with a couple of early bedtimes thrown in for the two youngest, they still sat for a good portion!)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...