Thursday, April 2, 2020

You Can't Stop Time: Declan Turns Six

 This was going to be the year.

This year, I was going to remember to put him in a box with a brick on his head, on the eve of his sixth birthday.  We talked about it for weeks leading up to it.  He bet me that I wouldn't remember.  But I did.  So on the evening of April 1st, I told him it was time to get in the box.

He got nervous and scared.  He didn't think I would remember since I had forgotten every other year, and only recalled when he awoke the next morning to announce he was another year older.  But I made sure to remember because Declan Kolbe at age five has been one of my favorite things ever.  I wanted to keep him there just a bit longer.  Seeing his nerves, I announced "April Fools!  I'm not putting you in a box!  You're allowed to turn six tomorrow!"

And then he woke up and did exactly that.


See that birthday crown?  His Kindergarten teacher drove to our house, dressed as a bunny, and dropped it off at our door with a little birthday package of goodies as well.  We were inside and didn't see her, but my mom texted me that a big white bunny had left something at our door.  Ha!  It's encouraging to see how people can still make others feel special, even during a quarantine.  
Thanks Mrs. Jason!


He picked out generic Lucky Charms for breakfast and his little sidekick followed him around the whole day.  Declan doesn't know it fully yet, but his best gift ever arrived the day that Brendan was born.

His siblings made him some cards...



Brendan drew him a "cool dog with a walkie talkie because Declan loves walkie talkies."


Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Needs a Hat Like You.

For lunch, he picked a Happy Meal, so we braved the drive-through and hope no germs were transferred onto his cheeseburger!


After lunch and homeschool, he wanted to open his presents (wrapped in Christmas paper by Andrew and Eamon).





All week, he has been saying "I just really want rollerskates.  I don't care what other presents I get, as long as I get rollerskates." Talk about pressure!  Especially when his old mom bought him rollerblades.  He didn't seem to mind :)




Some inside practice on the rainy day before it cleared up a bit to go outside:


I love how he's so terrible at it, but still chiding his younger brother.  Boys!!

Brendan started making this "staring face" at me, and we thought it was funny.  JP snapped a photo.
 Ummm, guys, this Googly Eyes game is fun!  

It's like Pictionary while tipsy minus the alcohol.




For dinner, Declan asked for Shepherd's Pie, and this smile is how I always picture him.  He can be so nervous and shy around others, and his smile isn't genuine...but when it is, man, he lights up a room.


Phil made the ice cream cake.  Yummo!  He used mocha chunk and coffee oreo ice creams inside, with a layer of crushed oreos and hot fudge.  So much better than store-bought!


Flowers for the birthday boy's mom.



Sadly, we couldn't celebrate with family (thanks a lot coronavirus) but Gammy sent up a present and face timed while he opened it.


He loved his new car track, and after building it, we all think it's quite cool.


Links for the gifts:



A shirt for Easter time (similar)


Oh Declan, I'm sorry I can't keep you little forever, but I do love watching you grow.  You are so thoughtful, and sweet, and prayerful.  

You love spending time with Mom and Dad, playing with your siblings, running for miles around the track, smelling and taste-testing your food before you enjoy it, reading, and playing Super Smash Bros.  

You don't like to hear anyone sniff (it reeeeeeally annoys him), zoom with your class during this quarantine (oh the tears!), or too much attention.  

You came into this world ten days late, yet so peacefully and with so much grace.  You are a light in our lives and we adore you.  Happy 6th birthday, and remind me next year about the box ;)

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post.....thanks for the smile in spite of COVID 19

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, it made me smile :)

      Delete
  2. You are such a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Nope. He cannot be six yet. Because that means my 2014 baby who also showed up 10 days late is on her way to being six and I am not ready for that! I may have to steal you box and brick idea! In all seriousness, happy birthday Declan! It looks like you celebrated well despite the virus setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if the box works for you ;) I feel your pain, momma! I think when my last turns six, I might start praying for grandchildren!!

      Delete
  4. This is so sweet. Times really does fly way too fast! We also have the googly eyes game and or is so fun! Happy birthday to your buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...