Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mum

Linking up today with fabulous mom Cari for Theme Thursday: Mom

When I think of my mother, whom her six children call "Mum", this is how I picture her:

Standing in the kitchen, making sure everybody has enough to eat and being the last to sit down at the table.  In fact, we usually have to tell her to sit down and eat because she is happiest serving others.  What a saint.

I also picture her like this:

Cracking up at something.  Anything.  In this case it was my laughing at my Dad's pride in his poop scooping abilities.  She is the best to watch a funny movie with - you WILL laugh so hard just because she's contagious.  The Pink Panther movies are some of her absolute favorites.

She's also known and loved as "Gammy" by her 20 grandchildren:

And my Mum loooooooves her sweets.  Especially ice cream.  Word has it she used to make my Dad drive out in the middle of blizzards while she was pregnant to get her hot fudge sundaes.  That's why she opened up and ran her own homemade ice cream shop on Cape Cod for 20 years:


And finally, it's impossible to think of my Mum and not think of her faith.  She is a Third Order Franciscan, prayed the family Rosary with us every night, attends daily Mass, is Our Lady's bff, cries after receiving Our Lord in the Eucharist (seriously!), and has taught me so much about my faith and how to live it.  If I could only be half as holy and devout as she is, I'd be all set.  Amazing.
with John-Paul on his First Communion

with Andrew on his First Communion
Happy Mother's Day to the most wonderful Mum I have ever known.  I love you.
  Love, 
     Your favorite ;)

26 comments:

  1. I love your Mum! She is so sweet and I always smile when you post with/about her. Happy Mother's Day to your Mum who bore one of my other favorite Mom's EVER. (that would be YOU!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me tear up. What the heck, Martin? Why you gotta make me all teary over your mom? Mum.

    Now, because you know I can't stand being weepy, I have to say that the second picture, with your mom cracking up, I thought she was pinching your dad's butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... she probably is! Or he, hers. Such flirts those two. ;)

      Delete
  3. Your mum is beautiful, inside and out. I really love people who will laugh easily. It makes me laugh more, like you said. Happy Mothers Day, Colleen, to you and your Mum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tribute to a beautiful mom, Colleen...and Steve's brothers and sisters all call their mom Mum too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading about your mom crying after receiving Communion made me cry! How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful colleen. Thanks for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colleen, what a beautiful tribute! Your mom is amazing, an ice cream shop, really!!! I knew you had a great mom by the way you turned out. She did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tribute!
    Hope you and your mum have a wonderful Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, your Mum is so sweet! And this was a lovely post about her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! And my husband and his siblings call their Mom "Mum". Is it an Irish thing or a Massachusetts thing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a mom! The part about her receiving the Eucharist was particularly touching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful! Your mum sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post. I especially love the picture of her and her grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous woman to have guide you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great tribute to your mom....all that food looks so yummy and I love the pooper scooper one.

    My parents used to be Third Order Franciscans...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't even know your mum and I like her!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful post! I'll bet your mum will love it!

    And thanks a lot. Now I really want ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww! I love your mama too, and I haven't even met her! My mom is always the last one in the kitchen serving too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet! I love your mom without ever having met her! And that poop picture is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! What a wonderful mother you have and how beautiful she is. Have a blessed Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love your Mum. THAT about sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful tribute to your 'mum'. She seems like a person I would love to know! Or ANYONE for that matter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was wonderful. An ice cream shop on Cape Cod? Something out of a book!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...