Friday, August 25, 2023

Week in Review - Medical Updates, Tryout Updates, Lobster Roll Updates

OK so let's start with Andrew's chest pain saga.  Earlier in the summer he told me that it felt like his heart was fluttering, but it would go away and we didn't really think much of it, I think we've all experienced those random weird heart feelings.  Closer to the end of the summer, he was really putting in intense workouts to get ready for soccer tryouts, and he complained of finding it hard to breathe sometimes.  It was hot and very humid out while he was running sprints, and we assumed that was the reason why.  When it happened more than once, Andrew started to think maybe he had asthma.  Andrew has played sports his whole life and never had a problem with running so it seemed weird that he would develop asthma at age 18.  Phil and I struggle through humid summer runs (which is why we mostly don't run in the summer) and hoped it was just the weather conditions affecting him.  Then right before he left for college, he complained of chest pain.  This is when I started to put all the symptoms together, which before had seemed like random incidents, and he went to the doctor.  The doctor thought he probably pulled a chest muscle from lifting weights but ordered an EKG to be sure.  Andrew left for college a day and a half later and we all assumed that he would get an EKG at some point in the future.  Well college athletics are very thorough and told him he couldn't play until he got an EKG and was cleared, which makes sense.  His doctor called the Athletic Trainer and they were able to do the EKG on campus and they cleared him to play!  Woohoo!  

Andrew is standing, 2nd from left

Bonfire on their team retreat


Hanging out at Applebee's with his new teammates, after an impromptu haircut

Sadly, his being allowed to play was short-lived.  He is listed on the Franciscan Men's Soccer Team roster but he is currently not allowed to play because when his doctor got the EKG results, she said there were a few slight irregularities and she wanted him to see a cardiologist to follow up.  Guys, it is SUCH a pain to figure out doctor appointments and insurance stuff when you live in MA and your kid lives in OH.  But he has an appointment with a cardiologist on Monday and we will see what they say.  All of his symptoms point to an arrhythmia, so we are praying it's not serious and he can get back to playing.

Heart arrhythmia symptoms may include:
Heart palpitations
Dizziness or lightheadedness
Fainting episodes
Shortness of breath
Chest discomfort
Weakness or fatigue

P.S. Whenever our family has a health scare, I always think about our life insurance plans.  It's not the happiest topic to think about, but I'll use this as a reminder to make sure you have life insurance before any health issues pop up.  I was able to get life insurance without a medical exam through this company and it certainly puts my mind at ease.

Onto a happier update - Brendan finally lost that stubborn tooth.  Not on the last day he was six, not on his seventh birthday, but on NATIONAL TOOTH FAIRY DAY!  Who even knew that was a thing?


Phil sent me a text listing off all the things he needed to get done for the shop that day, and I asked him if he wanted to switch:

Don't become an accountant unless you love numbers and spreadsheets!

He did not.

Eamon had his third Xray for his broken wrist and everything is healing well and he will be in a cast for three more weeks.  He got a new cast because he has been practicing with the soccer team and running tons of miles and you can bet how smelly and sweaty that thing was.  Phil said Eamon washed his arm and hand for like five minutes straight in between castings, and who can blame him.


High school sports tryouts have been happening all week and Maggie sent me this picture with Darian (Andrew's girlfriend) after she found out that she officially made the Varsity Volleyball Team as a Sophomore.  The team wanted Maggie to have jersey #3 which was the best player's number from last year, so that's a good omen :)


The Volleyball team was supposed to go on a retreat today but it got cancelled last minute because a couple girls have Covid.  We had bought her this white dress because everybody was supposed to wear a white dress and Maggie didn't have one.  It's cute and not see through and they have around 25 colors, definitely recommend!


Speaking of dresses, she also needed a pink dress to attend a Sweet Sixteen Barbie themed party this week, and she picked this hot pink number:



I looked at Phil last night and said "I have literally no idea what the date is.  Like if somebody told me it was August 16 or August 29, I would believe them".  He said he felt the exact same way.  I think between travelling last week, and so many things happening for our kids, and the store is still open everyday... we are just finally burned out.  I am so looking forward to October 10th when the ice cream shop closes.  I did manage to squeeze in my annual summer lobster roll last night, and it was worth the wait.  Was it worth the $34 though?


Today Eamon finds out which soccer team he made and we have JP's last dinner before he leaves for college tomorrow morning.  Then school starts next week for everyone.  Goodbye summer!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I am praying for Andrew. And for you and Phil! It's a lot. Launching kids, traveling, ice cream, other jobs... but you know what? You are doing it!! And I am so proud of you! That lobster roll looks delicious and considering it's a treat and you didn't have to make it yourself, that seems worth the cost to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tired just reading about your days, my friend! But I have known you here for so long, I know if anyone can do it, you can! Prayers for your children's health and happiness, and for you and your man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that white dress! So pretty and so versatile.

    With so many kids there are so many "irons in the fire" - hoping all the medical things go smoothly, everyone is able to play the sports they love safely...I had to chuckle when you said you had no idea what date it was; I can so relate to this sensation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird to feel so out of the loop!

      Delete
  4. Jenny in WVAugust 28, 2023

    I was thinking about you guys this weekend when I drove through Steubenville (went to the Great Trails Festival out past Carrollton). I hope Andrew gets good news from the cardiologist today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am eagerly awaiting the news...

      Delete
  5. Yikes, sorry to hear about Andrew's health issue. I hope that they figure it out and that it is a no brainer. I did not know that the ice cream shop would not be open year round. I guess this makes sense - it just never occurred to me. I'm sort of breathing a sigh of relief, because HOW? Love Maggie's cute dresses. Curly finally played on varsity volleyball, but it really is pretty frustrating. They have too many kids on varsity, so when she did play she felt terrible because an upper classmen didn't get to play and that same upper classmen was not allowed to go to a JV tournament. Curly went to the JV tournament and played there. Sometimes these coaches are so clueless. I had no idea about Tooth Fairy day. So funny that he lost his tooth on that day. I hope the next cast is the last cast for Eamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God it's seasonal! You're right, HOW? Haha! I feel so bad for Curly to be put in that situation :(

      Delete
  6. I hope his EKG confirms arrhythmia and he can get back to practice ASAP!
    I love that pink dress on Maggie - what a beauty. And congrats to her for making varsity volleyball. How awesome!
    Peter gets ONE lobster roll a year when we visit the Cape. Will be price ever come down???
    I hope you and Phil are able to relax after October when the Cottage closes. But why do I feel like you won't? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to relax too, but I feel the same ;)

      Delete
  7. Would love to know what was weird about your Hartford CT Mass & also which parish . . . Also, praying that your boy's ticker checks out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just say there were dogs in the pew and the homily was about a dog and communion was handed out willy nilly while the pastor had conversations with us as we received Our Lord.

      Delete
  8. OMG. Praying that Andrew finds good news with his heart!! ♥️♥️♥️
    Brendans face: SO stinking cute.
    Eamon and his wrist: hoping for the best.
    Maggie and her dresses: I wanna be her!
    You and Phil need a break and I hope it comes sooner than October XO

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...