Monday, October 21, 2013

Tossing and Turning

I wish I could use the excuse that pregnancy insomnia is the culprit for my lack of nighttime sleep.  But, I can not.  It's the abundance of weekend naps and evening siestas in front of the tv that are to blame for my laying awake in bed at night.  

Take yesterday for example, I laid down to take a nap when the baby was sleeping, and conked out for an hour and a half (Xander beat me and slept for 4 hours!).  Then after the kids went to bed, I fell asleep on the couch watching football from about 9 to 11:30.  I woke up, mumbled something to Phil who was also semi-dozing and went to get ready for bed.  I lay down and rolled my big belly from one side to the other but could not fall asleep!  Everytime I would turn on the side facing Phil, he would turn towards me in his sleepy state (jealous!) and I would have to turn the other way because I will not die from carbon dioxide poisoning.

I definitely saw 2:13 am on the alarm clock and must have fallen asleep shortly after.  So annoying.  Now I know what you're thinking - just stop sleeping so much in the day/evening, and you'll sleep better at night.  To that I maturely respond "But, waaaaahhhh, I'm tired."

Some thoughts from my insomnia:

~ My Dad told me a story this past weekend about my mom's friend who got bit by a spider on her forehead.  She had a little heart-shaped scab from it, and a few days later when she was showering, the scab fell off...and the spider walked out!  So disgusting, and every time I thought of it, I would get itchy all over.

~ Jim Gaffigan's show on Saturday night was AMAZING.  
Date night selfie.  

I am typically hard to please when it comes to spending money on entertainment, but this one was so worth it.  He had all new material for the first 3/4 of the show, and then closed with some snippets from the past (Hot Pockets!).  He made fun of himself for being fat {"All this talk about good fats and bad fats...I like to consider myself a good fat."}, wondered why anybody would eat seafood {"Here in New England, everybody likes lobster.  I mean, I get it, I love butter too."}, and made fun of health food nuts {"Whole Foods might as well just have a trashcan with a picture of a wallet on it when you walk in the store.  As soon as you enter, you just throw all your money in there."}.  It was perfect.

~ When our cat was a little kitten, she was such a lapcat, and loved to snuggle on our lap and purr.  Then she grew up and became a teenager and stopped associating with us.  Or so I thought.  Turns out she just is using us for our body heat in the cold months. So back to being a sweet lapcat she is:
Purrfectly stretched out.
~ The Red Sox made me happy and the Patriots made me sad.  Seriously, the Pats got robbed on this call:


~ Speaking of robbed, Phil's cookies won him 2nd place in the Cookie Wars at our Parish.  The Youth Group kids won 1st place...with basically a brownie entry.  Cheaters.  :)

~ Speaking of cookies, my friend Sarah sent us a box of her famous sugar cookies with frosting to celebrate all things Fall.  I should have taken a picture, but they are all in my belly.  How nice is it to get a random package of homemade cookies?  Very.

~ And since I'm on a roll with this segues...Have you all had Kings Hawaiian rolls?  I get mine from BJ's, and we basically plan meals around them.  Chowder and rolls, chicken and rolls, rolls with a side of rolls.
And that's all she wrote, lucky for you!!  Happy Monday!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Colleen, you know how I didn't sleep a lot during pregnancy until I got medication? So when it got really bad, for some reason (I was checking a news story), I started wikapedia-ing serial killers! True story. At first, I worried I was a total psychopath, but then I shared with someone else and they were like, 'I totally do that!'. I don't recommend it. IN other news...poor Tigers :( Jealous of Jim Gaffigan, I REALLY wanted to take Aaron to the show in Detroit, but I had a retreat that weekend :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. a 4 hour nap ? none of mine have ever napped for 4 hours.

    when i am pregnant, my sleep is always messed up. i need to sleep in the day and can't at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collen,
    I hope you get all the rest you need! I have a little insomnia , but mine is because my husbands snores really loud at wakes me up all night I am now starting get up around 4.30 ish and make my way to the guest bed room... Now that was a gross spider story I can't stop scratching now.
    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm, that spider story? I've never heard anything more disgusting, scary, horrifying, blechy, terrible, awful in my ENTIRE life!! And now I'm itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealous of your Jim Gaffigan tickets!

    Magnesium helps with insomnia. I have a friend who swears by epson salt baths during pregnancy. I used to take Natural Calm Mg and I do think it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not pregnant, but I'm old--so I can totally relate to taking naps in the evening and then being up until the wee hours. (My husband and I are re-watching all 3 seasons of Downton Abbey, in preparation for season 4, and I keep saying, "I feel like I never saw this episode before." I think I slept through at least half of every episode the first time around!)

    We saw Jim Gaffigan do those same routines you mentioned at a show out at Notre Dame, a few days before their first football game of the season--he was hilarious.

    I love stopping by this blog--it's always entertaining. (And go Sox!)

    Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm freaking out about the spider incident.
    Really?
    Hawaiian rolls rule.
    I hope you get some sleep-filled nights soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do I even start...okay the spider story...AAAAACK! OMGosh...I'm dying over here. Red Sox versus my STL Cardinals...BRING IT. :) Oh the insomnia...I feel for you! I was all "hey...I need to sleep ALL DAY"...and then be up eating at night. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sleepy still and I want to slap everyone who says that you get your energy back in the 2nd trimester! I go between miserably forcing myself to stay awake so I sleep at night, and enjoying a nap and then miserably laying awake at night. I figure miserable-ness is involved either way, so I switch it up :P.

    When I was little, my mom used to buy me one of those 2 pack of king's hawaiian rolls for helping her at the grocery store. Such a sweet memory, and now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see Jim Gaffigan! Keeping my fingers crossed he comes near here. And the spider story....WTF???? (Sorry for my foul language but that seems only appropriate with that story. I think I'm going to be grossed out for weeks.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying to wrap my head around this...did you say the spider was under the scab?

    I would pay a ton of money to see Jim G. We just watched one of his old shows on Netflix. "HOT POCKETS!" so funny.

    just rub that belly and quit complaining about sleep. You are so blessed to be pregnant! lucky lady! and eat a ton of those yummy rolls..pregnant and rolls..HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those rolls! I make ham and cheese sammies, and top them with butter, poppyseeds, worchestershire, onion (I think that's it) and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes. Uhhhhhmazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this too!
      And Colleen, can't stop thinking about the spider in the forehead!

      Delete

Talk to me...