Tuesday, September 22, 2020

On Instagram Quitting Me Before I Quit It

 Oh social media, you fickle beast.  Long ago, I signed up for a Facebook account and quickly realized that I was spending too much time on the site, looking up old friends, and getting caught up on everybody's life.  I deleted it and haven't looked back.  I continued blogging, as I have been doing somewhat regularly since January 2008 (!).  Then Instagram came along, and I decided to dip my toes in that muddy water.  I loved it.  I loved connecting with people who used to write blogs but had since switched over to Instagram instead.  I loved easily posting a photo and writing a short caption instead of sitting down at my computer, uploading photos from my camera or phone, and creating a long post on the blog.  I loved having some form of entertainment right at my fingertips when I was bored or waiting at a sports practice or in the bathroom (don't pretend you don't do that too!).

But with all earthly pleasures, I began to see that I was growing a bit too attached to that dopamine hit that comes along with getting likes and followers and comments.  I was pulling out my phone to scroll and read about other people's lives instead of focusing on the people right in front of me.  One day my husband said to me "I wish you looked at me the way you looked at Instagram" and I knew something had to change.  I started enforcing time frames when I allowed myself to scroll, never around the kids or husband.  I gave up Instagram for Lent a few years in a row, which was always hard but so fruitful.  I could feel myself being more patient, as my attention was not being pulled a million ways.  I felt more at peace worrying about those around me than those all over the world.  I felt more joyful being content in my own life instead of coveting other's highlight reel of a life.  

But on Easter, what would I do?  Hop (pun intended) back on to post a photo and see what everybody else had been up to during the time I was off.  FOMO is real and strong though I wish I didn't care so much.  This past summer, I started getting comments from a couple people on Instagram regarding the choices our family was making during the pandemic.  We had visited a few states, and while following the rules of each state, our idea of living life safely (but fully) didn't match up with their ideas of how we should be doing it.  I was offended by these comments (turns out my skin is the thinnest part of my body) and became afraid to post photos that might be judged.  I stopped sharing my life as openly and started to see all of the arguments going on around me online.  Between the pandemic, BLM, masks, school choices, and social lives, it seemed there was no winning when posting a photo.  


It was extremely eye-opening to me that we all saw current events so completely different.  I mean, duh, we all have different views on life, but when you share a faith, a vocation, and values with someone, you would think they would agree with you politically, right?  Likewise, when someone doesn't share the same faith, values, or lifestyle as you, you would be surprised to find out they align with you politically.  I kept being shocked over and over again.  My husband and I find ourselves scared to mention current events with coworkers, the family in the pew behind us at church, or parents at our kids' Catholic school.  You just never know how anyone feels or what might offend them.  I'm not saying that we all need to have the same stance on politics or the pandemic, but it was just very enlightening to realize who landed on which side.  Even my own family didn't quite line up the way I thought they would.

As the election draws closer, I decided I needed to take a break from social media.  For now, it's just too heated for me, but I'm hoping I can cut the tie forever.  Oddly enough, Instagram has decided that I'm a bot and has blocked my activity on there since Saturday.  I can post a photo but it erases my caption, and I cannot like, comment, or follow anybody (and Jim Caviezel just joined!!)   Although I'm super frustrated to have Instagram take away my rights, I am realizing that I was heading that way anyway.  I just wanted to be the dumper instead of the dumpee, you know?  Maybe this is just God working his magic to cut me off before it gets any worse.  So for now, I'll be here when I feel called to write, but in the meantime, I'm going to look at my family's faces as much as I used to look at my phone.  They deserve it, and I want to lead by example.

11 comments:

  1. Wow - you wrote EXACTLY what I've been feeling! Although it was Facebook for me, not Instagram. I think there are a lot of people out there feeling the same way. Going to hunker down for the next couple months ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook...Instagram...we all have our vices :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing this, Colleen. Your humor and honesty are a delight to read. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh solidarity! I was the opposite though. I quit Insta in January 2019 and that was so good for me. But I just recently let Facebook go. And I feel really good about it even though it's hard. Have you watched the social dilemma on Netflix? It made me more convicted! I will be praying for you and your family as you enjoy more time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We canceled Netflix during the pandemic because of a movie they made portraying Jesus in a bad way, and now with Cuties on there, I'm so glad we did!

      Delete
  4. Just the impetus I need to cut the cord from social media again. I was thinking about it, and now I know it's something I should do, definitely until the election/supreme court biz is over. Nothing good comes of being in the fray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Hopefully it will settle down after the elections...but that might depend on who gets elected?!?!

      Delete
  5. This is exactly how I feel- I need to cut the cord too! Thank you for sharing your heart on this blog - as a fellow mom of 6 boys and one princess it's a breath of fresh air to see your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, a mom twin! How fun! What ages are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say this so much better than I ever could. I feel addicted to instagram. I scroll every night and it's rare when I don't. I'm not on facebook every day but I keep it because I have a lot of family out of state and it's a great way to keep up with them. But the political posts on facebook are very disheartening even a lot of it coming from some of my own family. Now instagram is full of politics (I typed "fool" instead of full; maybe I should have kept that). Maybe I should forego insta at least for the next few weeks/months. I have too much going on in my life right now including trying to sell a house by myself. If you keep blogging, Colleen, I will continue to read!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...