Wednesday, July 13, 2022

A Week at Lake Winnipesaukee: July 4th, A Great Swimsuit and Good News

I know that I take too many photos, but this blog turns into our family's scrapbook from year to year and what's a scrapbook without pictures?  We took the week of July 4th off from work and headed up to Laconia, New Hampshire with our youngest four kids.  Our oldest three teens stayed home for the first few days to work through the holiday weekend (busy ice cream time!) and then came up to New Hampshire.  We stay at a condo right near Weirs Beach that has a great pool, tennis courts, a small playground, a pond with frogs and many fun places in close proximity.  The kids love it there, and so do we.

On Monday, we stayed close to the condo because the lake was crazy busy for July 4th!






We went the pool multiple times a day, it was awesome.  Brendan (age 5) learned how to jump into the 9 ft. deep end and swim over to the ladder to climb out without any floaties.  He was so proud of himself.  When JP (age 19) came up later in the week, Brendan whispered in my ear "Should I tell JP about the deep end or should I just show him?"  I said "You should definitely show him tomorrow, he'll be so surprised!"  And you know what, JP was so over the top excited for him, like the best biggest brother he is.


I'm gonna tell you a secret.  I found a modest, flattering, three-piece swimsuit that both my teenage daughter and her not-so-young mother both love:


This suit has shorts, a sports bra style top and a tank top that seems to flatter all body types.  Two of my nieces (aged 16 and 13) actually wore this suit first, and I bought it for Maggie and then for me.  Maggie is wearing a Small (and she had already jumped in the pool in this photo) and I'm wearing a Large because my derriere identifies as Kardashian.


OK my swimsuit modeling days are now officially over.  The things I do for you, my dear readers ;)  Moving on!

Funspot is an indoor arcade that the kids are addicted to.  Little gamblers we are raising I fear, as I watch them deposit token after token hoping to win a jackpot of tickets.  I totally fell under the spell as well. One of their cousins joined us this day, a girl for Maggie to hang out with :)


Kellerhaus is a make-you-own-sundae shop that also serves homemade candies and cute gifts, I could look around for hours.


Declan (age 8) said "Take a picture of me and Dad because we are twins!"


My honey's looking at the bees:


Because it was July 4th and because you can buy sparklers at the grocery store in New Hampshire #livefreeordie, the kids went out before bed and successfully did not burn off their fingers.



Tuesday was the only bad weather day, a chance of rain all day that didn't happen until the evening.  We went to a really nice thrift store and to TJ Maxx and then the kids went to see the new Minion movie...


... while Phil and I went to dinner at Lago across the street!



We were also able to get up early and walk four *hilly* miles each morning, while Maggie poured cereal for the youngest boys and they watched cartoons.  It felt like a family vacation and a couples getaway at the same time.  How times have changed from the days of never being able to leave the house without multiple babies attached to our hips!




While we were away, Phil had a teleconference with his hematologist, who said all of the blood work came back normal and that he does not have a genetic condition for blood clots.  Yay!  Thanks be to God.  He just needs to finish his three months on the blood thinners and take them again if he travels far in the future. His right leg is still so swollen and he can't run or jump on it without pain, so we're hoping the swelling will go down as the clots dissolve.  He has another ultrasound this week and then a follow up with his regular doctor.  

More New Hampshire travel stories to come...get excited ;)

12 comments:

  1. I'm gladit was such fun. Also, where is Maggie's Choose like Gianna hoodie from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw a sweatshirt like it when we went to the bookstore at Catholic Familyland. When we got home, I ordered it for her birthday from proudcatholiccompany.com and even though it wasn't on their website, they custom made it via emails back and forth :)

      Delete
  2. Well that looks like a lovely vacation! How nice to get couple time together in the midst of family time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness for teenagers :)

      Delete
  3. First off, so glad about Phil's excellent news and fingers crossed,that the swelling goes done soon. Hopefully, a little less worrying for you.
    Secondly, you look awesome in that suit, a twin to Maggie! Remember, you had seven babies, and change and time does happen. But all in all, not bad at all. Your hard work shows. That cheerleader jump was pretty darn good. :)
    And finally, you can never have too many pictures of cute kids having a good time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making this mama feel good :)

      Delete
  4. Hello! Enjoyed sharing your vacation with you! Looks awesome. I love the photo at the pool with your little one all wrapped up like a burrito! I remember and miss those days!!! So happy to hear that your man got good news. Amen! And just wanted to say that I am so happy you are still blogging. There aren't too many of us from back in the day left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, we say wrapped up like a hot dog, which makes absolutely no sense!! Gotta start calling it a burrito! And I'm glad you're still blogging too :)

      Delete
  5. That's good to hear about Phil. And yay for a girl cousin for Maggie! This is such a nice season for y'all as you mentioned. So the oldest kids stayed at home overnight by themselves? I'm going to have my four grandkids for a week and a half soon and the oldest is 17. I was thinking he may want to stay a night or two at his house during that time. He has before and it was some nice alone time for himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aileen! Yes the oldest three boys stayed home for 3 nights. They are 19, 17 and 15 and my parents live downstairs, so they're not that alone ;)

      Delete
  6. This looks like a fun and semi-relaxing vacation for all of you. I laughed so hard at your "my derriere identifies as Kardashian." Same girl, same.
    Brendan should be proud of himself; that is an amazing feat at 5.
    SO happy to hear that Phil got good news from his lab tests...hopefully the swelling can go down and he can jump like his hawt wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the size of our behinds matched the money they made, we would be good for life! Until then I'm thankful that they made big bums fashionable - ha!

      Delete

Talk to me...