Friday, April 21, 2023

Week in Review: Not a Break, Not Poisonous, Not Your Boss

 It's the end of our April break here in Massachusetts and while it was a reprieve from school, there was a lot of working involved to get The Ice Cream Cottage ready to open in a few weeks.  So was it really a break or not?

We are so lucky to have my dad helping us reconstruct the shop.  Being a builder AND an owner of multiple ice cream shops is a very unique niche and he has all the expertise.  While my mom's not swinging a hammer, she has been giving great advice and researching for us.  Phil is THE MAN for working so hard cleaning, building, painting and setting up all the repair guys, electricians, plumbers, etc. to keep it all moving.  When the big kids aren't working their other jobs, they have been helping us too and the little ones bring the excitement.  Other family members have helped out with loans and physical labor and encouraging support from afar.  It truly is a family affair!

Our biggest expense has been the purchase of two dipping cabinets.  Getting them delivered was a nightmare because of their size and weight.  A friend brought his bobcat over to get them off the truck for us, and then more friends helped carry them inside.  We owe so many people so much ice cream :)





My dad is sitting on one of the dipping cabinets and the other one is in the center of the shop.  Phil slept much better once those were in place!



We had a technician from Taylor come to service our machine and we needed to make our first soft serve ice cream of the season to test it out and make sure it wasn't poisonous like any good mom who has to test their kid's sweets.  It was delicious!  Not poisonous at all!


Happy customers :)


I've been designing the signs for outside of the shop which is a tough job because it's not only about the design but about settling on exactly what we are selling, what flavors, what prices, etc.  I've learned a lot about researching colors and using hex codes though.  For example I looked up the hex code for the navy paint we used on the building's trim and matched the sign to that.  Cool, right?  Then I tried to find a raspberry sorbet color as our pink.


Brendan impressed me with how high he could jump at gymnastics...that tower of blocks is almost as tall as he is!  I couldn't imagine looking at a tower of blocks that was about eye level and jumping over it.  Getting our trampoline during the pandemic was a great gift for the kids.


I can't wait to make this mango salsa and put it on grilled chicken - a perfect summer dinner!


I took the little guys to see the Mario movie and they enjoyed it!  I napped on and off because the chairs are so comfy and it was dark and I'm old now.


Have a wonderful Earth Day weekend everybody, pick up some litter or don't, I'm not the boss of you just the Cottage Crew :)

10 comments:

  1. I love soft serve and just reading about it made my mouth water! So much time and effort is going into this, but how wonderful to have so much support. It's a group effort and that creates so many happy and satisfying memories for everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to swing by from Canada for a soft serve on the house :)

      Delete
  2. I took my kids to see the Mario movie over our Spring break last week too! I lost interest halfway through and used the time to get a few lists made. Maybe I should have napped instead?!?!?!? Anyway-- the shop is looking so good. Awesome that it is such a community event to get it together with so many friends and family helping. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kids movies are a real sacrifice for me to sit through :)

      Delete
  3. It looks like you guys are on track (hopefully) for your Mother's Day weekend opening!!! I would have fallen asleep at the movies too. I can't be in a reclined position any longer without dozing off! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stress of the Mother's Day opening is intensifying each day, but I think we will pull it off!

      Delete
  4. My only experience sitting in those movie theater recliners was to see A Man Called Otto (HIGHLY recommend, but still annoyed they changed his name from the original Ove in the book!) and I was SURE I was going to fall asleep (evening movie, & I was in the first trimester at the time!) but the movie was so good I stayed awake!

    That mango salsa looks DELICIOUS. My husband can't stand fruit on meat, so I pretty much never make recipes like that, but I may have to make an exception (and he can just eat it with chips or something!).

    You nailed the raspberry sorbet color! Looks like it's all coming together so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell asleep to The Passion in the movie theater, so I know it's me and not necessarily the movie quality. Thanks for the color affirmation, it means a lot!

      Delete
  5. I have to argue with you; you're NOT old, but you do work a lot and you're tired...the nap was deserved.
    The ice cream shop is coming along beautifully. I love, love, love soft serve in a cake cone.
    I'd be overwhelmed with the sign making; I know you will do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime you want to come by for a soft serve cone, just let me know :)

      Delete

Talk to me...