Friday, June 30, 2023

Week in Review: Sweets and Servers and Spots

Happy last day of June!  Not much to report on this week at Casa Martin, we are just plugging along and staying sane by sending each other memes like this:


The answer is: Always something sweet, like our special flavor this week.

Brownie Bits

My mom and brother-in-law are both recovering as well as can be expected from their neck surgeries, still in pain and not sleeping great but they are heading in the right direction!

Eamon, Xander and Declan attended Altar Boy Boot Camp at our church this week, and JP and Andrew volunteered to help train the new servers and JP even gave a talk.  I need to get some photos from the week from someone.  The thing is that it's a bunch of guys running/attending the camp and guys just don't think about taking photos like us ladies, ya know?

Brendan hung out with Phil while the other boys were at camp and was put to work cleaning the alley behind The Ice Cream Cottage.


He got paid in ice cream :)  I also took him to play with a friend in a pool yesterday, so don't feel too bad for him!

On Wednesday, Maggie and I had dermatology appointments for some suspicious spots, so we made a day of it and went shopping and it was so fun!  I learned some new teenage slang "you're her" that I continue to use wrong and I picked up this beauty for 70% off.  We went out to lunch and I was wearing a Franciscan University shirt, and a handsome young guy came up to us, asking my affiliation with Franciscan.  I told him that both my husband and I graduated from there and my two oldest are attending.  He said he just graduated and I asked if he knew John-Paul Martin and it didn't wring a bell, and I said he went to Austria last fall and the guy was like "Oh yeah, JP!  I know him! We were in Austria together!"  Turns out he's from MA and lives about 30 minutes away from us, and he and JP never knew they lived so close to each other.  That would be the second question I would have asked after meeting, but college kids brains just work different ;)

The derm appointment was serendipitous because I went in for a flaky spot on my forehead that wouldn't go away, which she froze because it was pre-cancerous, and she saw a troubling spot above it that she biopsied (under the band aid) that I never would have noticed had I not gone in for the spot below.  I'll get the results in a couple weeks.  Maggie's mole was A OK so that was good news. 

Wear your sunscreen kids!

I've been subconsciously celebrating the 4th of July by eating this breakfast this week.  Cottage cheese with strawberries and blueberries - red, white and blue!


We are gearing up for a *fingers crossed* busy holiday weekend and I wish you all a wonderful July 4th with your family and friends!

12 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth, my friend. I am sure it will be busy for you! Eat some coffee ice cream for me! I was at the dermatologist this week too. Prayers for your results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate the coffee ice cream for you! Those derm appts are so nerve-wracking but necessary, hope yours was ok.

      Delete
  2. For some reason, the thought of Altar Boy Boot Camp cracks me up! Glad your mom and brother in law are recovering well. Hope you have a wonderful and prosperous holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny, hard-core training and playing for three days to become an altar server!

      Delete
  3. Yes to the sunscreen! I've already had two basil cell carcinomas removed from my face. I blame my time in the tanning beds in the 90s. And yes, college boys definitely don't ask the right questions! I hope you have a great (and profitable) 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had one mole removed, and it was from my behind where the sun has never shined! But this biopsy will prob come back abnormal too, but so good to catch early!

      Delete
  4. That ice cream looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little Brendan. Love that you made time to get him to the pool with a buddy. The meeting with a guy who knew JP only as JP is so funny. Yes, taking photos seems to ve linked to the girl gene. Your meme sharing never fails to crack me up. Hoping you have a very hungry ice cream eating crowd over the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the greatest weather, but today is finally nice and the fireworks were postponed to tonight, so I hope we are really busy!

      Delete
  6. AnonymousJuly 03, 2023

    Ohhhh that brownie ice cream sounds divine!! Glad everyone is recovering from surgeries.

    And yes to sunscreen and skincare checks - I've had two Basal Cell Carcinoma surgeries in two years. My dermatologist told me "you started young with the BCC" and I burst into tears! I spent my teen years trying to pretend like I would eventually get my skin to tan if I didn't wear sunscreen. Ugh! Hindsight..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the Meme--follow it up with sweets. Brownie Bits Ice cream would be a great choice! We have to be diligent with sunscreen and skin screening---hope your biopsy is A OK as well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...