Friday, August 11, 2023

Week in Review: Eyebrow Talk, Broken Bones and The End of Summer

Last Friday, I picked up the boys from sailing camp and took them out for pizza.  They are just so full of stories and literally fight over who gets to sit near me.  Can I please freeze them at these ages forever?


I got this Caprese Mango Burrata Salad, and I can't stop thinking about it!


We went to a friend's house on Friday night to use their new cocktail smoker.


It was like drinking a grapefruit paloma while sitting around a campfire, minus the campfire.  Quite a cool experience!


I did a thing.  I got my eyebrows tinted for the first time ever.  I get them threaded every three weeks, and I've seen women in there getting them tinted and decided to try it.  To be honest, I hated them right away, they were so dark! I was used to my blondish brownish color!  But a shower and a day later I loved them, no more eyebrow pencil needed!


On Saturday, we just kind of hung around and did chores and worked out and went to Mass.  That's all I can remember!  On Sunday, our parish had their annual picnic, so we went to that with the kids who weren't working.  


Later that afternoon/evening we hung out with friends at the beach while the kids played in the ocean (without swim shirts on - a rare event!) and pretended they were lifeguards after the real lifeguards left.


Monday and Tuesday were just typical work days.  On Wednesday evening, Eamon had a soccer game for the summer league he plays in and we got a text that he hurt his wrist.  Apparently he had a very ugly challenge with a kid from the other team who then pushed him down in a dirty move.  Eamon's team got a penalty kick for it.  Now Eamon NEVER complains about pain, which is rare in this family so when he says "hurt wrist" I hear "broken wrist".  Out of all these kids and all these years, we have only had two broken bones.  A finger and a toe and both belonged to Eamon, who even at those young ages barely complained and kept playing in the game:



But now we have our third broken bone (and first cast) and it's still the same kid!


He was wearing red in all of these photos with broken bones, maybe he should stop that.  We were so lucky that he was able to get into the urgent care ten minutes before they closed, got x-rays and a temporary cast and then saw the orthopedic surgeon the next morning to get the real cast put on.  He needs to be in it for 6 weeks which really puts a damper on his Junior year of soccer (he was hoping to start on Varsity this year) and also stinks as an ice cream scooper!

Eamon, pre-injury, golfing in the rain.

On Thursday, Andrew and his girlfriend, Darian, went to Six Flags together and only Darian sent me texts and photos because she is awesome and Andrew is just okay ;)



These two are trying to squeeze in all the quality time they can get before Andrew leaves for college next week.  I can't believe it's that soon!  She was even willing to "watch" a scary movie with the boys one night.  Do you see how she watched it?  Same way I watch scary movies.


Thursday was Lucy Doodle Martin's 7th birthday!


Alexander went to the orthodontist for yet another appointment to see if he was ready for braces and he finally got the green light!  He will be getting them on in September and he is so excited!!

Today is the last day of summer camp for Declan and Brendan.  They got to make tie-die shirts earlier in the week and then wear them today over their swim suits and shirts because there will be an inflatable water slide.  All of their camp weeks went really well and successfully kept them busy while I worked and Phil ran The Ice Cream Cottage.  


Next week we are headed to Ohio to drop Andrew off at Franciscan University and dropping off the second child is only about 1% easier than dropping off the first child, much to my mother's heart's dismay.  Letting them grow then letting them go is our job though, it's just not for the weak!

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!

9 comments:

  1. Awwww, your poor heart! I hope Andrew has a fantastic time at college!

    Your eyebrows look fabulous. Welcome to the tinting club!

    I am so jealous of people whose kids TALK to them. My daughter is very close-mouthed about her life and when I ask her questions, says "I don't like answering questions!" Sometimes she will let loose some interesting tidbits, but it's rare! I love that your boys fight over who gets to tell you all the details. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the competitive part of WHO gets to tell me things FIRST and therefore own the narrative probably is why they talk so much!

      Delete
  2. Poor Eamon! I love your brows! I cannot believe it's time to take Andrew to college... what the actual heck?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy bday Lucy! It seems like she joined your family not that long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please remove all red attire from Eamon's wardrobe. *Sigh* And he's even smiling in all his broken bone pics; what a champ.

    Your brows are amazing! And you know, I know brows! 😳 I also can't stop thinking about that salad. YUM.

    You have amazing sons (and that lovely daughter) who just adore their parents. Even Andrew, who doesn't send texts to you. :)

    Lucy Doodle!! Braces!! So many good things happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brows are amazing! I've never had anything done to mine, but I'm very tempted now!
    Love the: we let them grow and then let them go. *Sob*
    My son also had a broken wrist a few years ago in soccer. It came right at the start of our summer which ended all baseball, soccer, and swimming for the season. Oh well, he lived to survive it, but now I am VERY cautious about his wrist, but that child loves to play goalie in soccer. Eeks. So far, so good this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer about the broken wrist. Ed broke his wrist the VERY first day of summer when he was a sophomore in HS. It stunk. Hope he heals quickly.

    I have had salads that I continue to think about too. Yum. I love how the boys all want to sit near you. So sweet.

    Camp and 6 flags and scary movies- all sounds like a wonderful summer adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s hard letting them go, isn’t it? Even though that’s the goal, getting them prepared to go out and make their own way in the world. And you think going through it the second time or the third time, it’ll be easier than the first. But no…that’s not the way it works! However, as hard as it is (especially if like me, you aren’t a fan of change!), there are also so many joys and blessings with adult children. ❤️

    You look beautiful, btw! Such pretty eyes (and eyebrows!).

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...