Friday, November 3, 2023

Week in Review: Sinners and Saints and Sports

This cold weather has been very welcome this week.  I like my summers to be warm, my falls to be cool, my winters to be cold and my springs to be cool.  50 degrees and sunny must be what Heaven is like, just look at that beautiful cotton candy sky!


And that beautiful foliage seen on my lunch walks!


Our Halloween plans kept changing, but at the last minute we decided to carve pumpkins at home and then let the kids go trick-or-treating with cousins.






The cousins' neighborhood is extra fun because they have a golf cart that they travel around in!




Lots of candy was gathered and dumped into a familial bowl (and bag for the overflow) and will serve as dessert for the foreseeable future.  

Next up!  All Saints Day!

The elementary school kids dress as saints and they have Mass and trunk or treating at school (more candy).  We did not do our best job at costumes this year, but may I present St. Brendan the Navigator:


And St. Patrick who forgot the shamrock we made:


Special shoutout to my Irish dad who loaned the cap and green scarf to the boys.  I can't believe that after all of these years we are down to only two kids who need to dress as saints.


Can I be honest?  I am so so glad Halloween is over.  I do not like this scary/evil/creepy holiday and everybody needs to take down their awful decorations now, m'kay?  Next up I'll be complaining about the people decorating for Christmas too early.  I'm a firm believer in waiting until Thanksgiving is over first.

Speaking of over, both of our varsity high school players are done for the season.  Neither the volleyball team or boys soccer team made it to playoffs.  I was a wee bit excited about the season ending to be honest, which probably makes me a terrible parent.  Declan and Brendan have a couple more soccer games each before their seasons end, and swim team runs from the fall through the winter seasons so that is still going strong for Xander.  Basketball starts this month, and we will see who makes what team, as basketball is every Martin's second favorite sport and played with much less talent and intensity.

Have a wonderful leaf-raking, pumpkin baking kind of November weekend everybody!

12 comments:

  1. I have spent many tournaments hoping my kids' teams would lose so we could go home! I think most parents have those thoughts at times. Sports sucks up so much family life!
    Isn't weird to have only a few kids dressed up for Halloween, and not seven little ones in their costumes? I only had one this year (Harry Potter - graduation gown and his own glasses, his sister made a scarf and boom -he was good) - his slightly older sister is not into costumes and she just wears a flowered coat and call it a "garden" costume. I also forgot to carve pumpkins, so you're definitely on up on me!
    I like Halloween for the social aspect - go around to neighbors, kids get candy, nice adults give candy -and it's done. It's better than Christmas in that respect - gift-giving and expectations are so high.
    I love the saints outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said to my son at one of Maggie's volleyball games...I just hope they lose in three sets and the season will be over...and he goes "you know that is terrible, right?" Ha! Just wait until he's in our shoes one day, he'll get it. Also, that graduation gown costume is an awesome idea! I have a couple gowns hanging around uselessly!

      Delete
  2. We must be headed to different parts of Heaven! I love my falls WARM (with just a hint of crispness in the mornings and evenings). And I HATE cold winters. Oh I hate the cold. Please tell me the Bible doesn't say anything about the temperature in Heaven!! Or maybe, since it's perfect, we'll all have personal temperature-controlled. Not even being cold again sounds like Heaven to me :)

    I'm NOT a fan of Halloween and I'm always so relieved it's over. It always seems to go okay in the end, but it's a holiday I would love to skip always and forever. If I get to keep some Reese's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Heaven is a mystery! It's like when people say their dogs will be in heaven, and I secretly hope that's not true because a heaven with dogs all over the place would not be heavenly for me. But seriously, I can't imagine anyone could possibly be disappointed in heaven, and it's just our simple earth minds not able to understand it yet :)

      Delete
  3. Ha! My Heaven is a little warmer but I have to believe there will be absolutely no weather there. I am glad for you that soccer, volleyball and Halloween are over. We took down our jack-o-lantern door hanger and put up our turkey. And that was the only Halloween specific decor we have. Otherwise our felt pumpkin garland and felt pie garland stay up for two months. I am not going to win any awards for my holiday home. We will switch to Christmas after Thanksgiving as the world intended. :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "as the world intended" indeed. I'll sleep better knowing you are waiting too :)

      Delete
  4. Awww your boys are so cute! Love their jack-o-lanterns and their costumes. And how fun that they were able to trick-or-treat with cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little boys are just so much fun. Tiring, but fun :)

      Delete
  5. Aw, and then there were two. They sure are cute. I'm excited for b-ball season, but I know I'll be a bit relieved when it's over. I'll be ready to get my life back. Note to self: upload the videos from the video camera so it's ready to go.

    I don't love Halloween either, but I don't feel bad that we don't do a lot of decorating because I feel like it's pretty optional, so there's that. Our pumpkin turned to mush on the front porch a few weeks ago. Gross. that's one way to wiggle out of carving pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mushy pumpkin is why I try to avoid carving pumpkins at all, but I give in every once in a while for the memories! You're so good that you record their games, watching your kids play would be very exciting!

      Delete
  6. That golf cart set up is amazing! And their pumpkins look great. We didn't manage to carve pumpkins at all this year.

    Your first photo with the sky is absolutely stunning. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years with babies and toddlers = perfect excuses to not to any of the things you don't want to :)

      Delete

Talk to me...