Monday, September 29, 2008

Feast of the Archangels


Today is the Feast of the Archangels, which reminds me of a story about John-Paul and an angel.

When John-Paul was 2, we were sitting having lunch, and he looks up to the corner of the kitchen, and says, "Mama, there's an angel". He said it so nonchalantly that I thought I didn't hear him correctly. He pointed up to the corner again and said, "There's an angel over there" (by the way, there was nothing where he was pointing).

I got chills right away because we had never really talked to him about angels. Sure, we said the Guardian Angel Prayer at night, but he was too little to ask any questions about God, Heaven, Angels, etc. at that point. I kept feeding him his lunch, and casually asked him what the angel looked like. He said "He's wearing a white dress, and he's singing". Okay, how would he even know what angels are typically depicted as wearing?

This actually scared me at the time, and I didn't want to talk to him about it anymore, because I didn't want to make it seem like it was unusual. But a few weeks later, I asked him what the about it, and he told me the same story. Pretty cool, huh?

This past weekend, we went to Mass with my parents, and John-Paul was sitting on Gammy's lap during the last song. Gammy said something about the beautiful angels (statues) in the Church, and how it felt like they were singing, and John-Paul (now 5) said "Gammy, the angels are ALWAYS singing." Duh, sorry us lay folk don't always catch the same Heavenly glimpses as you, John-Paul ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...