Thursday, October 16, 2008

Siblings Rule

Okay, so as most of you already know, I have 4 kids. While that may seem like nothing in the Large Catholic Family world (have you met this guy with 11 kids, or this lady with 8?) It does seem to shock people in the "normal world".

What shocks them even more is when I tell them we would like to add some more kids to the mix someday.


One of the most frequent questions I get is "How do you do it?" My answers vary between, "I do the best I can", "I take it one day at a time", or "It's getting easier than it used to be".

Usually the moms that ask this question have one child. I tell them that it is honestly easier with more than one kiddo. They hardly ever believe me...but wait, I should know since I used to have only one kid too, and they've never had more than one. Makes sense, right?

Don't get me wrong, the infant months are hard no matter how many kids you have...but I've learned that they do grow up, even though those sleepless nights are almost too much to bear ;)

The thing is, having one kid is life changing. Everything has a different meaning, a different purpose. All of your actions now affect somebody else, it's a tremendous responsibility. After you adjust to all of that, adding another baby doesn't double the work or responsibility, it just adds a little to it.

Yes, it can be challenging when everyone needs Mommy at the same time, or when there are a few sick kids in the house at once. But the benefits FAR outweigh the hard times.

Having more than one kid means an instant playmate . This is great for the child, but even better for the mom! You are no longer your child's sole source of entertainment/fun/ideas. They now have a partner in crime, someone to play tag with, a friend with unconditional love.

Are they gonna fight? Of course!! Don't we all sometimes disagree with the people we love? But they learn from the fighting that they can work out their problems.

They learn that even when they don't see eye-to-eye, they still love each other.

They learn respect, patience, tolerance, and selflessness.

I couldn't have put it any better than the wonderful Pope John Paul II when he said "The greatest gift you can give your child is another sibling".

What a wise man, and what a true statement. So, Mom and Dad, thank you for my siblings...and to my kids, you're welcome (I know you'll thank me one day)!

2 comments:

  1. Well said! I always tell people that every kids makes it easier in some ways and an adjustment in other ways...whether it's the first or fifth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely said Big Sis! And when are you going to be adding to the mix....you know the new baby needs a playmate!!!!
    Love,
    Your Lil Sis

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...