Monday, November 9, 2015

Weekend Workouts

The big boys ran a 5k this weekend.


Andrew came in 7th overall with a time of 22:46.  He was close to his best 5k time, but was upset that he was in first place for the first two miles, but ran it a little too fast and then got passed by 6 people at the end.


Eamon finished with a time of 28:29, he was disappointed in his pacing (he tends to sprint then wog on repeat) and wants to train with Phil to get a better pace. 


JP had a personal record of 23:36 (10th overall).  He said after that he could have kept on running and wants to try a 10K.  I am much impressed with the improvement he's made over the year!  He was happy to beat this guy at the very end too :)

They have another 5k coming up in 2 weeks, maybe we can squeeze in a few training runs with them before then.  Phil and I aren't running races, just because they cost $$ and the boys love doing them and we're a lot slower.  Thankfully, we have been able to run a lot this Fall with such gorgeous weather.  We haven't even missed the gym yet (we cancelled our memberships back in June) but I think we will join one again as soon as it's too cold/snowy to run outside.  We are hoping to run our 3rd Half Marathon in March, as long as Mother Nature allows for some gentle winter weather to train.

Maggie and Xander and Declan are just slackers when it comes to running ;)  Haha, Maggie looks at us like "Why would anyone want to do that?" so she sticks with Irish step dancing instead.  That is a tough workout!  They just jump for an hour straight!  Xander's thumb muscles get the biggest workout as he plays Wii and other video games like a champion gamer (but only on the weekends!) and Declan is the cutest baller in training with our indoor hoop.  He can't throw a ball without jumping, it's adorable.

I love being an active family, I couldn't imagine it any other way.  Maybe that's because we have so many boys, and boys are like puppies and need to be ran around :)  Our pastor has been giving a lot of homilies lately about the importance of putting Mass and church events before sports and work events.  I always flinch a little when I hear these homilies because while I know we would never miss Mass for a sports practice, we do put a big emphasis on sports and health and fitness in our house.  I need to make sure I'm putting more emphasis on the soul workouts as well.  I'm thinking of getting one of these for the house, maybe they can pray Hail Mary's while they use it ;)  

6 comments:

  1. I think your family is one that doesn't take part in traveling teams that make you miss Mass, right? I know a friend of mine has a rule for her kids that Sunday is the Sabbath and non-negotiable as far as being off-limits for sporting events and practices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't do travelling sports - but the kid's new soccer league and CYO basketball all have games on Sundays! They are in the afternoon, so it doesn't interfere with Mass, but I had to put aside my "No sports on Sundays" rule once they were old enough to join CYO. I know it's when the gyms are available for the kids to play, and it really does result in family time as we (usually) all go to watch the game. But still!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I feel like exercising calms me and allows for more prayer time! But there's always room to improve, and our Pastor is really good at challenging us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And good luck with your future races!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's great for them (and you and Phil). Myself? There's something about running that I can't stand. I always admire people who do run, but it makes me feel like I am going to have a heart attach. And that sensation started when I had to run for PE in high school. I dreaded it so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Klayt and I haves to decided to get a treadmill instead of joining a gym. With therapists in the house all day to work with Rhett and Eric, I can't leave therefore I can't go walk around the block with the girls. I also hate leaving the house at night. We figured a treadmill would pay itself off quicker than a 1 year gym membership for me since he works out on base for free.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...