Friday, June 3, 2016

7 Rambly Quick Takes

Here we go, it's Friday so I'm hopping on Kelly's train and chugging along to the weekend.

1)

Maggie's class had a Wax Museum at school.  Her teacher is new this year and so none of my kids had done this before, but it turned out so great!  They researched a historical figure, wrote a paper and made a poster board (all at school, alleluia for no at-home work) and then dressed as their figure yesterday.  People could go around the room and press a button to hear them talk about who they were and why they were important.  Maggie chose Albert Einstein, and I ordered a white wig from amazon, but it didn't come in time, so I used lots of hairspray instead.  Maggie is the girl who never lets me do anything to her hair, and she was not pleased with the look, but I think it looked great!

I'm not going to smile.


2)

Declan is such a sweet little boy, I keep praying to God to make this next boy be even half as wonderful.  Toddlers are the best.  

Fish face

Cheese

3)

Oy, so if you follow me on Instagram you already know that I failed my first gestational diabetes test this week.  This test is something I failed with Andrew and then passed at the 3 hour follow-up, failed with Maggie and then was a borderline failure on the longer test (I failed by a couple points, so I just watched my diet) and now I need to take the 3 hour test yet again tomorrow morning.  I have such a hatred for this test that I flat out refused to take it with Declan's pregnancy, and my midwife allowed it upon seeing how anxious it was making me.  This new doctor would not allow me to skip it, and maybe that's a good thing in the end if I really do have it.  My only risk factor is being maternally ancient, and there's nothing I can do about that!  I eat healthy, walk 4 to 6 miles a day, take all the vitamins, drink all the water, avoid all the bad stuff.  I'm the perfect patient, so I'm hoping to pass with flying colors tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.

4)

The school kids had a music concert last week and they sang the song "Africa" which always makes me think of this video that Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell made:


and this one about her birthday present from him:


Gosh those two are so cute together :)

5)

We are trying to make summer plans while knowing a baby boy is due in August, and here's what we got going on:

Opposite Day.

Me: Work until I push out this baby, then vacation maternity leave!

Phil: Take care of the kids and run a 3 week summer camp at their school.

JP (13): Strength & Conditioning camp for a week, Soccer camp for a week, mile race each week, soccer season starts in July, summer camp at school, and a possible Counselor in Training program for two weeks.

Andrew (11): Soccer camp for a week, Basketball camp for a week, mile race each week, summer camp at school, soccer season starts in July.

Eamon (9): Basketball summer league, tennis lessons twice a week in August, mile race each week, summer camp at school, soccer season starts in July.

Maggie (8): Tennis lessons twice a week in August, swimming lessons twice a week, summer camp at school, mile race each week.

Xander (turning 5 in July): Tennis lessons twice a week in August, swimming lessons twice a week, summer camp at school, mile race each week.

Declan (2): Being brought along to all of the things :)

It seems like a lot, but most of them are just drop off/pick ups or the camps are held where I work, or with Phil and we've found that an unplanned summer does not actually make our family happy.  We are an out-and-about type of family who needs to be active and outdoors or we're all hungry and cranky and bored at home.  Besides, next summer we will have a 9 month old and that might make doing a lot of activities more difficult.

6)

From around the net:

Mary wrote a piece about the Culture of Outrage that hit the nail on the angry head.

Susan had her seventh son and gave him an awesome name!

Jolie wrote about how an IUD caused her PPD.  It's such an obvious connection to me that if you take hormones to change your body's healthy fertility, there are going to be some negative side effects.  Medication is supposed to fix something that's wrong, not change something that's healthy.

7)

 I'm going to *try* and read more this summer, and my first book will be this one after Ellen recommended it.  Any other books you think I must read? I've literally read next to nothing since grad school, and those were all business books, so yeah, help a mother out!

Have a great yard-working, glucose-drinking, graduation-filled kind of weekend everybody!

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 03, 2016

    Sending prayers for your test to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your test to go well, both in process and in outcome!. I am often borderline too and have debated refusing the test. But then the midwives get so anxious because I am so "old," that I feel like it causes more trouble in the end, they want to get all finicky with the monitoring. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard quickly became my two favorite celebrities after those videos! So so funny. Hope your test goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Maggie looks thrilled! That's such a neat idea! Prayers you pass your test. I won't go off about my feelings on that thing but I just hope you pass it so there's nothing to worry about and you can birth this baby in peace!

    Thanks for the link love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, I hope you don't hate My Brilliant Friend, it is rather intense. It made me really grateful that I'm Irish, not Italian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could definitely tell who Maggie was!
    Kristen Bell & Dax Shepard are just adorable!
    Here's to hoping the test goes well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched those two videos with Kristen! She is the cutest ever! Let us know how that test goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo I can't resist book talk. Some of my favorite recent authors are Liane Moriarty (What Alice Forgot & The Husband's Secret) and Kate Morton (The Forgotten Garden & The Secret Keeper). Other great fiction: Anne of Green Gables, The Nightingale, and The Martian. For non-fiction, check out Unbroken, Deep Down Dark, and In the Heart of the Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie looks UNBELIEVABLE. Declan has the sweetest eyes!!! Woah for activities... that's why I'm working on my house now... while the kids are still at home. wowzers. hope the test comes back okay! you are the healthiest person i know!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...