Monday, June 29, 2020

A Day Trip to Newport, RI

Last week, we realized that Saturday was going to be a rare day where nobody was scheduled to work, and decided to pack up Vanna White (our new Ford Transit) and drive to Newport, Rhode Island with the kids.  

We hit Easton's Beach because it has bathrooms (so many beaches around here are open, but the bathrooms are locked up...not great with lots of little bladders) and waves, unlike our local beach.  Unfortunately, there was also a lot of seaweed.  Phil researches the best waves in the area like it's his day job, and knew the swell was about 2 feet, but there's no way to tell about seaweed until you get there.  The kids love boogie boarding, but came home with TONS of seaweed under their suits.  Blech.  I love the ocean, but from my perch on the shore, for this seaweedy reason in particular.  
And sharks.  
And salt water.  
And sand.  
Geez Colleen, you have a strange love/hate relationship with the ocean.
Yes, I SEA your point.
Hehehe.

Anyway, some photos of the day...








A typical sMother Son moment :)  When I went to the dermatologist this past year, she told me that I really needed to cover up more in the sun, so I bought that swim shirt.  I actually love it!  I can wear it over a tankini top or sports bra, and I don't need to waste a gallon of sunscreen on my upper torso (it's UPF 50).  I'm wearing the high-waisted swim skirt as well, gotta tuck that mummy tummy in.















After a few hours at the beach, we headed over to the Cliff Walk.  It's a famous path along the cliffs overlooking the ocean.  Hence the name :)  It's about 3.5 miles long, and passes by some of the beautiful mansions that Newport is known for.  We had to pay $25 to park at the beach, so we just kept our spot there and walked over to the start of the Cliff Walk.





I put a few videos over on my Instagram New England stories if you're interested to see more, the walk is so beautiful!  We only did a small portion of it, but I would love to go back and do the whole thing...maybe in the fall when it's cooler.

The last time we visited Newport, we toured one of the "summer cottages" aka mansions of the rich and famous families from a time gone by, and it was very educational and enjoyable.  I would definitely go back to tour a different one sometime.  Here is a photo slideshow of The Elms mansion:



I have so many more posts to write to get this little bloggy up to date.  Hopefully I'll see you again soon!  Hope you are all doing well and staycationing as much as you can.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 29, 2020

    We're from southern PA but just made it to Newport last week, maybe a day or so from the time you were there! We hit the waterfront (uh, NO, too many people) but really liked the cliff walk! I'm pregnant and it was hot so we didn't make it too far but I'd love to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. My husband and I lived in Providence for 5 years and really enjoyed it, but we were only parents for the last 15 months of our time there. I would LOVE to take our kids up to the beaches and the cliff walk someday when we get the chance to make it up from PA.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...