Monday, December 13, 2021

Counting Down and Counting My Blessings

 Happy St. Lucy's Feast Day!  

Five years ago today, Phil met our puppy for the first time.  She was a 4 month old Goldendoodle named Lady and we had been searching for almost a year to find her.  We were not allowed to rescue a dog because at the time we had a baby, a cat and a backyard not fenced in.  Yes, better to leave a dog in a shelter without a loving home than to give it to a family that *gasps* has to walk the dog on a leash instead of opening their back door.  

Much better than a fenced-in backyard.

I shouldn't be bitter that we were denied a rescue, because we ended up with the bestest purebred doggy in all the land, renamed her Lucy Doodle Martin, and surprised the kids on Christmas Eve.  Lucy's the kind of dog that makes you never want to get another dog because it would only be downhill.

****************

At my new job (how long can one consider a job "new"? Is it as long as losing the baby weight - Nine months on, nine years off?) we have been playing the 10 Days of Christmas, where every workday between last week and this week, there has been a fun activity planned, such as a cookie swap, a wine exchange, a crazy sock day, etc.  We also are each assigned a day to bring in a small gift for our coworkers' stockings...so every day I get a gift added to my stocking and we will open them at the Christmas Luncheon at the end of this week.  We don't have to participate, because every holiday party has a Scrooge, but why wouldn't I?  So fun!

****************

This weekend, I made Hawaiian Fried Chicken, after catching an episode of Cook's Country.  Instead of flour, you use Potato Starch so it's gluten free and super crispy and delish!  I sang Mele Kalikimaka while cooking, of course.  We doubled the recipe and used 2 lbs. of chicken breasts and 2 lbs. of chicken thighs and the breasts won in my family's taste preferences.  I guess we know what kind of men I am raising.

****************

And finally, JP is home for Christmas break!  We are all under one roof again and it truly is the most wonderful time of the year.  I hope you all are feeling it too.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Lucy . . . she was meant to be. We are all loving Finn here, but it is a challenge to have him live here with my daycare and my allergies. We don't let him have free reign and that's tough. As the weather gets colder and he's inside longer and longer, I feel bad for him but he seems very happy. Lad takes him to a dog park and a friend's fenced in yard to let him run. Plus we walk him, but I don't walk as long in the cold weather. That recipe sounds great - GF? Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...