Friday, March 4, 2022

Week in Review: Skin Checks, Basketball Playoffs and Happy Sticks

Happy Friday!!!!  Every morning as I drive the K-8 kiddos to school, we say our morning prayers (Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Angel of God and St. Michael's Prayer) and then we each say something we are Thankful for and something we would like to Pray for.  It's a good daily reminder to be grateful and it's also a really sweet way to communicate what's going on in each kid's life.  Anyhoo, on Friday's when it's my turn to say what I'm thankful for, I always sing/yell "I'm thankful that it's FRIIIIIIIIDAYYYYYY" in my best Oprah voice.  The little boys just eat that up.  Aren't Fridays the best?  So full of promise.

I had two appointments last week, both requiring me to expose my body and contort myself in ways I never thought possible.  Yup, you guessed it - a mammogram and a skin check with the dermatologist.

  Mammograms don't normally bother me, I mean they have always been awkward (turn this way, hold here, lean there, squeeze the boob, turn your head, don't breathe) but never painful...until this time.  I think it's because the mammogram tech was 28 years old and has never had one (I asked her).  When I get the older women as techs, they are so much more gentle and apologetic.  Also, how is there not a better way to do these scans in 2022?  If men had to go through this feat with their precious jewels, you know for sure they would have figured out a less painful process by now.  


As for the dermatologist, she was also very young (does everyone magically become younger than you once you hit middle age?) and I picked her because her photo on the website showed she was pleasantly plump.  I like my doctors to be heavier and older than me.  Makes me feel better about myself as I lay their while they prod and use magnifying glasses to look over every inch of my body while remarking on my "unusual mole patterns".  Umm, thanks?

I am looking forward to basketball finishing up this week, Maggie's team just lost in overtime in their playoff game last night.  It was her last game for the CYO after 5 years, I can't believe she'll be in high school next time she plays ball.  She's hoping to grow a bit more, but the doctor thinks she is basically done at 5'6".


Scrappy, hard-working girls! (Maggie's in the knee pads)

Our spring schedule is way easier.  We only have swim lessons for the littles and tennis lessons for the middles and working at the ice cream shop for the bigs once that opens later this month.  In May we will have a First Communion and a Confirmation as well.

Phil has also taken up a new sport, perhaps it's his mid-life crisis?  I'm cool if it is, much better than him wearing tight jeans or developing a combover.  He's playing racquetball with a group of guys (most are married to the ladies I workout with) and he's enjoying it!  He's just so naturally athletic at whatever sport he plays, it would be annoying if I didn't love him so.

I tried to sneak a photo of him through the racquetball court door.  He's the one closest to the door.

Maggie made me a jar of "Happy Sticks" as my birthday present, which I immediately brought to my office because I need all the happiness I can get there.  I get to pick a stick each day and smile.  Having a sweet and thoughtful daughter is so refreshing amidst all the boys in the house.  Not that they're not sweet, but thoughtful doesn't seem to come as naturally.


And I love you...because you read like nobody's watching.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

11 comments:

  1. I like your happy sticks. That's a fun idea. I don't like dermatologist skin check appointments, but I pretend I'm not standing where I am. It's my adult version of "la-la-la I can't hear you." Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie is amazing! I am so glad you have her. That mammogram pic made me laugh out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise a good point - why ISN'T there a better mammogram way by now? Like the wand they use at the airport when you go through security. Why not develop that into a more advanced version of itself? I laughed that you choose doctors who are heavier and older than you are. That is brilliant. I've been feeling really old lately. I used to feel like I fell into the general 'mom' category but while I am still a mom - I feel like I'm the older end of that spectrum. That is a great morning routine. Almost makes me wish we drove our kids to school. Wait, no I do not wish for that. My kids walk to school and the high schoolers drive themselves. Fridays are great. They'll be even better next school year if I can manage to get most Fridays off vs Thursdays this school year. I love Maggie's gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fridays off would be dreamy, I hope you can manage that!

      Delete
  4. Was just talking about how annoying mammograms are with my hairdresser yesterday. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just heard about thermograms as an actual medically sound alternative so I'm looking into that. They are supposed to detect cancers better, too, as well as being more comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breast thermography + ultrasound is the way to go! I've never had a mammogram.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...