Monday, March 28, 2022

Weekend Wrapup: Essay Winners, Good Sports, Science Experiments, Perms and Birthdays

What a busy weekend we had!  Poor Brendan (5) got sick on Thursday night with a fever and he still has it as of this morning.  We took him to urgent care and he doesn't have an ear infection, doesn't have strep and doesn't have Covid.  They say it's just a virus but he's so pathetically sick with a runny nose and a cough and he has thrown up when his fever spikes because we don't get medicine in him fast enough.  Poor baby.  If his fever doesn't break today I'm taking him back to the doctor.  

But on to happier things...

Eamon (15) won 2nd place in our Diocesan Pro-Life essay contest, and had to read his essay at a Mass with the Bishop.  He's such a good kid and a great speaker, I'm so proud of him.  He won $75 which he was very excited about.



Andrew (17) was invited to go to a Sportsmanship Conference at Gillette Stadium to hear speakers and get a tour around the place.  He said it was really a great day and I'm proud of him for being chosen as a good sport!


Eamon has been working on his Science Fair project to see if sight and smell affect taste.  Luckily he has plenty of subjects in our family willing to drink lots of juice while looking like weirdos:





Xander's taste test made us laugh:

 

On Saturday, Phil and the teenage boys went on a Guys Retreat at the high school, where Phil helped out and Andrew gave a talk.  He spoke about the importance of having good groups to support you on your faith journey and mentioned being part of a big family, an alter server at our parish and attending youth group as examples.  It's nice to hear that he considers coming from a big loud crazy family as a positive :)  Declan (7) also had a First Communion retreat on Saturday, and because I had to stay home with a sick Brendan, my friend, who was attending with her son (and Declan's bestie) took him for me.  Maggie (14) went over her best friend's house for the day, so I found myself alone with only 2 kids.  Very weird, and way harder than having lots of people around to play with.

Oh!  And I got a perm!

Before:


During:



After:


I'm still getting used to it but I *think* I love it.

And finally, it was my beautiful mom's 84th birthday!  One of my sister's and I took her (and my Dad) out to breakfast, and the rest of her children visited in and out all weekend.  She had six kids, six kids-in-law and 22 grandkids who all love her so much.   Even the college grandkids remembered to call her to wish a happy birthday.


Funny story - When we went to the restaurant, I mentioned to the waitress as she was leading us to the table that it was my mom's birthday.  The waitress, who looked to be about 65 years old, asked me how old my mom was.  I said 84 and she replied "My mom is 84 and she looks great too!"  We were all *shook* that this waitress had a mom the same age as my mom, since she was so much older than me. But then I realized that when I am 84, my oldest son will be 60 so maybe it's not that weird after all.

Finally, Happy Birthday to our goddaughter Haley today!


And that is a weekend wrap, I hope you all enjoyed yours too!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats, Eamon! Glad you guys are all doing well. Love the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big family is great for getting a good data set!
    I love your hair. It's very pretty straight, but the perm is really cute. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like it straight too, but the curly has so much more volume :)

      Delete
  3. Xander's video cracked me up. So funny. I love your hair both ways. I had a perm back in high school. Disaster. I will have to share on my blog at some point. Essentially my hair was so short they used little granny sized curls. I looked SO BAD. Plus I had it done at Main Street, which is now Kohls. Just a little dept store. Not exactly hair experts.

    Congrats to Eamon. And Andrew. Hope Brendan feels better soon. This is a long time to be sick.

    Our weekend was spent in Vienna with Eddie. Beautiful. We fly home tomorrow and have been trying to upload documents proving we took negative covid tests while being videod thru an app. It might qualify as the most stressful thing we've ever been thru. It has taken hours. HOURS. We are supposed to check out a few museums and I'm starting to think we just plop down at a bar near the square and drink. Heavily. More details in a post eventually . . . after I put my house back together and do mountains of laundry. See, heavy drinking seems in order. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That testing situation sounds horrible. Brendan got put on antibiotics today, so hopefully things are looking up soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh, and a very happy birthday to your sweet mom. My mom has 5 kids. 5 in laws. 22 grand kids. She just turned 80 a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you give me water??? I think we know what the results of this experiment are going to be! :)
    I love your hair! And best part, you got a change without having to chop any of it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fruitcake, that one. And thank you!

      Delete
  6. Your hair looks great! I haven't had a perm since the 80s; yours looks fantastic. It looked good straight as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Lots more volume was the goal, so I'm happy with it!!

      Delete
  7. I love the perm! This is my first time seeing your blog but I just wanted to say hello! I’m Jess :) it sounds like you have some really smart kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you and nice to meet ya!

      Delete
  8. I like the perm! In fact I like nearly everything in this post, the Martins are a good bunch. But boo for Brendan not feeling well. Hopefully he's better by now.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...