Sunday, June 19, 2022

That's What He Said: Father's Day Edition

Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful dads!  My kids are so lucky to have Phil as their father, just as I was lucky to have my dad.  In honor of him, I'd like to share some of his Dad-isms...

"There's no maid that lives here." 

- to get us to help clean the house/stop expecting our mom to clean up after us.

"You would be right, but you could be dead right." 

- teaching us how to drive defensively because even if we had the right of way, we could still end up in an accident if we weren't aware of what the other driver was doing.

"What happened to the other two points?" 

- commenting on a 98% grade on a test.

"It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man than a poor man" 

- trying to help his four daughters pick a financially good catch.

"You make a better door than a window, even though you are a pane"

- dad jokes, amiright?

"Marriage is hard enough without adding that to the mix" 

- encouraging his children to marry someone from the same faith.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease" 

- teaching us to speak up for what's right.

"She says more than her prayers" 

- spoken about anyone who talks a lot.

"Your mother could run an army" 

- while completing a Honey Do list.

"How am I supposed to soar like an eagle when I'm surrounded by a bunch of turkeys?" 

- meaning, keep up or get out.

"What's for disaster" 

- spoken after dinner every night, he called dessert "disaster".

"Come on Lady Di!" 

- yelled to one of his daughters who was dawdling, usually me.

"Whoosy Whatsy" 

- in reference to anybody whose name he forgot, which happens quite a bit.

"Don't waste the day away" 

- spoken if we slept in.

"It's only borrowed" 

- responding to a compliment on his talent, meaning it's a gift from God and not about him.

"Can you help me find..." 

- asked of random strangers in the grocery store as he shows them his list so that they will become his personal shopper for free.

Happy Father's Day to the best Irish dad who taught his six children the value of an education he never had, showed them how to work hard to achieve goals, had the perfect blend of humility and pride, gave us the witness of a faithful, holy man who loved his wife and kids more than anything.  Dad, you certainly set the bar high and we are so blessed to have you in our lives.  Thank you for all that you have given to us, and I hope we have many more years with your love and laughter in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. These are so fun. I especially like WHAT'S FOR DISASTER? My dad was always saying YOU MAKE A BETTER DOOR THAN A WIDOW, since one of us was usually blocking his view of the TV. My other favorite was always WHERE THERE'S SMOKE THERE'S FIRE, which he said when anyone passed gas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, forgot about the door/window one...he always said that too!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE ALL OF HIS DADISMS. sorry for yelling. What a sweet post! I do hope you share it with him as it it full of sweet compliments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping my mom will read it to him from her smart phone as he only has a dumb phone :)

      Delete

Talk to me...