Friday, June 3, 2022

Week in Review: Medical Update, Moon Landings, and Marinara is not a Type of Pasta

Happy first Friday in June!  

1)

Let me start with an update about Phil's blood clots.  He followed up with his doctor, who also thinks it's weird that this happened to him.  He wants Phil to see a hematologist and get blood work done to figure out if he has a genetic condition, but I think he needs to wait until he's off the blood thinners to do some of the testing.  He recommended that Phil wear compression socks, then pulled up his own pant leg to show him his.  I guess lots of people who work on their feet wear them every day, so Phil will be joining them!  Otherwise, his leg is still very sore and swollen and he walks with a limp.  These things just take time to go away.

2)

In Second Grade, the kids have a Wax Museum where they dress up as someone famous, create a poster in class, and memorize a speech to recite as people push their button.  Declan chose to be Neil Armstrong, and practiced his speech a lot to be able to memorize minute details of his life.  He did a wonderful job and if anyone's looking for an astronaut costume, this one was great!  I'm still not convinced we really landed on the moon at all, but that's a conspiracy theory for another day :)


3)

We have a new nephew!  Phil's sister Diana had her third baby, a little boy named Tony. Well actually he wasn't little at all, weighing in at 10 lbs 6 oz and 21 inches long.  Wow!  He is our kids' 34th first cousin.

4)

Lots of 8th Grade events are going on and coming up for our Maggie Rose.  First up was the last walk through the school hallways.  My sister is the nurse there and sent me these photos:


Next up was the Appreciation Dinner for parents and teachers, planned and served by the eighth graders.  We are still trying to figure out the marinara pasta option ;)



Maggie is the Class President and definitely stressed over the details (wonder where she gets that from?!) but it all turned out beautifully.  Each student made a hand painted tile to give to their parents as a favor, and then performed a cute "dance".




Last night, we got the announcement of the Valedictorian and Salutatorian, and we are so proud of our hard-working girl!


My friend Laura's son was named salutatorian, and she sent me this collage of Maggie and Robby as toddlers next to their 8th grade photos...time flies!


5)

I filled up my minivan :(


6)

But then came home to find this cutie had left me a message :)

Dear Mom, I left a note on your bedroom door

Dear Mom, I left you a card on your bed

To Mom I *heart* U
Brendan
I love you

I'm not saying he's my favorite child, but the other kids certainly need to step up to even be considered at this point ;)

7)

Coming up...

June 4th - Maggie's Baccalaureate and Graduation
June 7th - Eamon's Confirmation
June 8th - Declan's adenoid removal surgery
June 10th - Brendan's Kindergarten Graduation

Turns out June is starting off just as busy as May was, but I'm thankful to be here for all of it. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Awwww, that note. How cute. Congrats on the valedictorian, the grad, and the new baby nephew! As a note, I wear compression socks/ sleeves often. I love high compression sleeves for running, and I wear compression socks whenever travelling or if I'm going to be on my feet a lot. They really help with circulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought runners just wore high socks to look trendy - ha - now I know better! He's thinking he can wear them with pants, but what to do all summer in shorts??

      Delete
  2. Oh Maggie in the middle, you are so lovely. Congratulation on all your hard work! I will be praying for Declan's surgery and for your family on all the upcoming life events. And Brendan, so stinkin' sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie in the middle certainly shines! Thank you for the prayers :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on so many things here. I had to wear compression hose at one point and they did make my legs feel better, but they were darned hot-- and it was summertime. I love the dinner menu. I didn't know that marinara was a type of pasta! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can imagine the annoyance of the hose in the summer, hopefully the socks are better. We tried ordering the marinara pasta but the kitchen said they were out ;)

      Delete
  4. Yowzers! Your gas is cheap! The last time I filled up our minivan it cost me $125...and that's Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 03, 2022

    My husband is 41 and had a similar experience...was measured here at a shop but now orders compression socks at Amazon cheaper—gray ones don’t look horrific in shorts

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a feel-good post (aside from the blood clots). The notes are adorable and congrats on the school achievement!
    We just came back from the US and everyone is talking about the price of gas (and it is high), but it's literally almost double that in Canada right now. Yikes, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 04, 2022

    What great photos! Your graduate is so beautiful -- congrats to her on being valedictorian! And I love the Neil Armstrong costume!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Maggie! Beautiful AND smart! I know you are proud of her achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 06, 2022

    Just paid $5.35 a gallon to fill our Ford van!! Yikes!! Gas in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! Congratulations to Maggie--she looks like the sweetest girl. And your little guy's note...💜. You certainly have a busy June! (And conspiracy theories...don't get me started! #somanyrabbitholes)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...