Friday, July 22, 2022

Week in Review: A Portuguese Feast, Some Recipes Worth Trying, and 24 Hours to the Lake

Last Saturday evening, after attending Mass, we headed to our friend's parish feast.  I never grew up going to these "feasts" but they are a fun mixture of the Portuguese culture and the Catholic faith with lots of food/drinks and games.  We met up with Fr. Jay (Xander's godfather) and bought some malassadas (Portuguese fried dough) and the kids played a few games each until they all won something.  Maggie and Xander each won a goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball into a tiny fish bowl, much to their father's dismay ("We just got rid of our stupid fish tank!") which makes it even funnier.  Why does Phil hate fish tanks so much?!?!  The little boys each won a stuffy by landing bean bags on a board in the right spots.


On Sunday morning I baked a hootenanny for the kids and cut up some strawberries as a topping and they thought I was the world's best mom.  I'm not and this recipe (I doubled it and baked it in an 8 x 10 dish) is ridiculously easy.  I ignored the grapefruit and rosemary instructions as well.  Wow, I am not great at following recipes.



I made bo ssam and sweet and sour zucchini after reading one of Simcha's food posts.  I get a lot of inspiration on how to feed a big family well, and inexpensively, from her.  This picture is sideways but I don't know how to fix it.  Anyway, it was good!  The zucchini was a lot of work and yet I'd think I'd make it again, especially when paired with the practically no-work required pork.


On Wednesday afternoon, Phil and I took Andrew (age 17) and Eamon (age 15) up to Merrymeeting Lake in New Hampshire to stay with a friend at his friends' house.  The house was GORGEOUS!!  And Lake life suits us very well.

Who's that strong lady on the paddleboard?


It's me!  And boy those are a lot of work.  I traded mine in for the kayak pretty quickly.  Apparently, these muscles are just for show ;)






View from the back of the house:









The bed was so big and comfortable, the shower had six heads, and the whole master suite was private with a balcony overlooking the lake.  I could seriously get used to this.



It was a great getaway and with only two kids, it felt so easy!  The younger set had camp, and JP had to work, but we all agreed we should go back together next time so they could all experience it too.  There is certainly enough room for multiple families to stay here.

Now it's back to work for one day before the weekend.  I would like to slow down summer please, can I see a manager about that?

10 comments:

  1. What an absolutely gorgeous house!! And the views!! Wow :) I saw that recipe from Simcha too but seemed like too much work. It does look good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth the try if you have extra zucchini this summer :)

      Delete
  2. Those picture of that lake house are so beautiful. Those are the kind of friends everyone needs. It looks amazing.

    The recipe of the breakfast thing looks similar to something I make for special occasions called Apple Puff Pancake. I think your looks easier though - peeling and slicing the apples super thin is very time consuming. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made this hootenanny with sliced apples, and it's more work but so good too :)

      Delete
  3. Lake life looks enjoyable. You all look so happy, refreshed and shiny/happy! The food does look amazing and you are Super Mom. (I don't care what you say!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only life could be an endless vacation!

      Delete
  4. That lake house looks dreamy to me!! So... a few days later, what's the fish update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly still alive in a glass bowl because *someone* wouldn't let them set up the fish tank.

      Delete
  5. That house looks fabulous!! Living there would feel like being on a permanent vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the family that owns it hasn't even used it once this summer - what a shame!

      Delete

Talk to me...