Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Scenes From Thanksgiving Break

Hello from the other side of Thanksgiving!  Remember when Thanksgivings were so sad because we couldn't get together with family and friends, and then this year we could?  And it was awesome.  

Praying grace and giving thanks.

My brother who lives in New Hampshire hosted the meal, and 28 of us were able to attend.  That's just my parents and siblings + spouses and their kids.  One sister couldn't make it so we were down five people there and two of my nephews didn't come as one is in grad school and one went to his girlfriend's family.  JP also wasn't there because he is in Austria until December 4th but we facetimed him while he was *unknowingly* at a big Thanksgiving dinner and dance the school threw for the students.  He's below the arrow, dancing in his Austrian garb:


Like a good big Irish family, everyone brings a few dishes to share and I need to note that I don't have to double/triple my recipes because there is always soooo much food.  I made Chocolate Chip Spiced Cookies which were amaaaazing and I am definitely making them again for the cookie swap at work in December.


I also made ten pounds of mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese, no recipe because it wasn't my favorite.  And finally two Apple + Pear Crisps (minus the orange juice because I don't like it):
The crisp to fruit ratio is just divine, so much crumble!  See that little guy in the background keeping himself busy?  He was making a turkey out of perler beads WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS, just completely freestyling it at the ripe old age of 6 years old.How adorable is that?

On Black Friday, we decorate for Christmas:



Both Maggie and I wanted to be intentional and particular about what ornaments we hung up this year, so she was very bossy while handing out the chosen few to the little guys and my successor has been officially named Maggie. 

The Willow Tree Nativity is my favorite.

Lucy the dog likes Buddy the elf.
This Fontanini Nativity was a wedding gift from one of the priests who married us.
The kids have their cherished Little People Nativity and then we have one last outdoor nativity in the front yard.  Do I have a nativity addiction...or just collection?  It's a fine line ;)

Would you believe that the kids still expected dinner after decorating all day?  The nerve!  

I made some pizzas, which I think I have down to a science now.  Three balls of dough left out to rise all day + one small jar of tomato sauce + one huge bag of mozzarella cheese + basil from our AeroGarden.  Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, rotating pizzas every 5 minutes between the three shelves.

Oh wait - that's another nativity set, but it's Maggie's nativity and handmade stable that she received from her godfather...I told you she was my successor ;)

We did zero shopping in person (except for groceries) and a lot of shopping online, watched too much football, ran and walked many miles, and relaxed unapologetically.  It was a wonderful and much needed Thanksgiving break.  I hope yours was too :)

12 comments:

  1. 28 people! Wow! I have another blog friend - perhaps you know each other, it's Ernie - who is also a part of a big Irish family. It's a thing! I can't imagine having so many people for dinner. The food looks really great - especially the cookies! Your house is gorgeous and I love the decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ernie - hi Ernie!! Thanks Nicole, I've learned to love our home that is probably too small for all of us, but built over 100 years ago and has so much charm!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Reminds me of the Thanksgivings we had growing up with our huge Irish Catholic family. Unfortunately those ended when my Grandma passed away.

    I LOVE your mantel! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have the memories to cherish!

      Delete
  3. I definitely think you're in the collection camp. When you have more nativities than people who you've given birth to, then I would worry. But especially if one is Maggie's and one is outside (and that's it's own category) I am quite certain you're good. So glad Thanksgiving was good to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very thorough on this investigation b/t collection and addiction and I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  4. I have made those chocolate chip spice cookies twice now - SO delicious! I love all the nativities, especially that handmade one from Maggie's godfather.
    I want my crumble to be 90% topping and 10% fruit. Seriously, fruit crumble topping (ON ITS OWN) might be one of my all-time favourite desserts!
    Also, love the perler bead creation. And your house looks so lovely and festive + I want one of those pizzas right now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just give me the crumble!!!!!! And thank you :)

      Delete
  5. You definitely have a collection! I'm very interested in the chocolate chip spice cookies and will have to check them out. Also, sad that the potatoes, bacon, and cheese as no good. Those are three of my favorite foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad about the potatoes, and they really weren't bad but they were tangy from the sour cream and cream cheese and we prefer our mashed potatoes buttery and creamy. Next time I will just make normal mashed potatoes and add bacon and cheese :)

      Delete
  6. Your Thanksgiving weekend sounds just delightful. I laughed when I saw Nicole's comment. I've told my folks that we would host my side this Christmas. My parents aren't up to it, but they've given no indication if they will take me up on that offer. Not sure if it's too hard for my mom to let go of that duty, or if they are going to insist on staying home alone out of fear of germs.

    I can't believe JP will be home so soon. I bet you are so excited. Love your little turkey making creative guy. Your decorations look so beautiful. We have nothing out yet. I admit that I JUST put a pumpkin decoration back in the storage room yesterday. It was on the mantle and I forgot about it.

    I laughed at your nativity collection. My mom is a nativity addict. My nieces and nephews counted them one year. It was well over 30, I think. They are EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Maggie, sometimes you have to be bossy when decorating or else there is chaos! 😜
    I love that you guys have such a large crowd and again, I want to live JP's life!
    Your tree is amazing and the pizzas look divine.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...