Friday, February 24, 2023

Week in Review: February Vacation, Double Birthdays and That's What He Said

After eating my way though the last few days before Lent, I really felt this meme:


Phil and I took the youngest three kids to a hotel on the Cape for a night.  They had some fun activities for kids like a make-your-own sundae bar, bonfire with roasted marshmallows, big indoor pool, scavenger hunt and a huge breakfast buffet.





The teenagers were able to keep themselves and the dog alive for 24 hours, so that was great.  
I've been forcing myself to play family board games during this vacation week.  I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't seem to understand any new games, and I have no patience to learn and then sit still and play a game for an hour.  But the kids love it when we play together, so I'm basically a modern day martyr over here.  I did win Clue the other night.  



Skyjo is my favorite game to play (thanks to my bestie, Larisa, for introducing me to this game!)

My kids had some cousin time this week (bowling! shopping! ice skating! sleepovers!) so I didn't feel too bad when I made them put together our new home humidifier :)


Brendan came home with this drawing of Pope Frank from school:


Lots of discussions in our house about what people are doing for Lent.  As a family, we always give up sweets.  That one is a no-brainer.  But here's what the little guys are doing individually...

Xander (age 11) - Practicing his piano every day for 20 minutes and no chips/crackers/popcorn.
Declan (age 8) - Only playing screens if someone plays with him.
Brendan (age 6) - Only drinking water and plain milk.

Saints in the making *fingers crossed*.

The big kids are making their own Lenten sacrifices but they wouldn't want me to post about them here.  I need to have more babies for continued blog content ;)

Speaking of babies, my oldest baby, John-Paul, will turn 20 on Saturday which makes me feel really really ancient.  Guys, I met Phil when I was 20.  Since JP's out at Franciscan, we will celebrate together over Spring Break.  Did I mention it's my birthday too?  Yup, birthday buddies!


I miss him so much, my favorite birthday present.

{sniff sniff}

I'll leave you on a funny note with Xander Blaise and his witty ways:

 Playing Scattergories with the following prompts:

Things That Are Cold: Letter - L  

Xander wrote "Lucy's personality" (Lucy is our dog).

Part of the Body: Letter - W  

Xander wrote "Western buttcheek.  You know, the left one."

Tools: Letter - D

  Xander wrote his friend's name and then said "What?  He is a tool!"

I hope you all have a wonderful last weekend of February!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you!!!!!! It looks like you guys had a great week. And I know the feeling about having more babies for blog content. I don't feel like I have anything to write about any more. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, I read every post of yours and thoroughly enjoy them, and I often mean to comment. But I was having trouble for the longest time leaving comments on people’s blogs. I just updated my phone today (it was long overdue!), and it seems to be working this time! Woo hoo!

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that this is one of my all-time favorite sites. I absolutely love reading all about your delightful family. You are equal parts, funny and inspirational, and just so down-to-earth. I’m so glad you’re still blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love reading about the fun little trips you do on the weekends with your kids. What a great way to build family culture and make memories! It's really important to recreate as a family, and it's not easy to make that happen. You set a good example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you (as busy as you are) manage to have time with the kids in smaller groups, like the hotel stay!
    My husband never like playing board games with the kids and I can fake it for a while; unless it's UNO. That one we all love! You are the sweetest modern day martyr.

    Happy birthday to you and JP!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you treated the 3 little guys. What a sweet photo of them holding hands. Aw, the memories you make with them. So wonderful. Board games are a lot more fun now that people do and say funny things, and can read/ follow the rules - or not follow the rules on purpose. One of our fam favs is Guestures, similar to charades. Brendan is quite the artist. Happy coming up combined birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the games thing. I used to love them as a kind, but mostly find them tedious now. Scattergories is a new family favourite, though and I LOVE Xander's responses so much.

    Also...I saw Pope Francis on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...