Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Ups and Downs Lately

We're running on empty over here at the Martin casa.  

It's been all hands on deck trying to get the shop open later this week.  There have been a lot of headaches, including failing the plumbing inspection this morning because we need a bigger water heater since we installed a bigger sink.  We installed the bigger sink because we were required to have a three bay sink per the board of health.  So now we are trying to get a plumber and electrician (because bigger water heater = different electrical outlet) in there ASAP.  My parents have been helping us so much by meeting people at the shop for us, building counters and cleaning and even delivering a soft serve sample to a testing company an hour away to get the green light to serve it.  There's so many last minute things that we still need to do, like learn how to use the credit card machine and cook the chowder and pickup the quahogs and get the ice cream delivered.  We would have done some of these things earlier, but were dealing with fridges and freezers not working properly because nothing can ever be easy.

Rant over.

Let's think about the good things, because a thankful heart is a happy heart.

I am so very thankful for my sweet and hard-working husband who is doing 80% of the work on this family business and still makes my heart go pitter patter by sending back texts like this:


Eamon passed his driving test!  I don't think I've ever prayed as many Memorare's as I did while he was taking his exam.


Of course, he came back and tried to pretend that he failed...but couldn't stop smiling :)


I took the younger four kids to Mass on Saturday evening, and then to an ice cream shop to meet up with friends and their kids.  Brendan may be smitten with my friend's daughter, as he followed her around and did whatever she wanted.  Train them young ;)


A former employee of Maggie's Ice Cream messaged me the nicest memories of her summer spent working for my parents in 1992.  She was a college student from England who worked for us (Cape Cod used to attract lots of Irish and English college students looking for work in the summer).  She talked about how much she learned and how my mom would make my brother driver her home from work at night instead of having her ride her bike.  She is now an attorney in London with three kids and her message and photos made my parents so happy.  




The two Maggie's (my mom and my girl) planted flowers at the shop, and we got the signs hung last weekend.




I am waiting on the "Order Here" and "Pick Up Here" signs that I designed to come in.  They will go above each window, and another "Prices Include Tax" sign will go above the main sign.  We will hang some lights around the underside of the awning, and then I think the outside of the shop will be done!

It was officially announced who would be opening the restaurant to the left of us (the ice cream shop is in the middle of two restaurants) and it's a well-known local baker who will do a great job.  When I welcomed him to the neighborhood on social media, he wrote back "We're about to make this block THE PLACE TO BE!!!" and between his words of enthusiasm and his excessive use of exclamation points I know we will get along great!  Dinner and dessert in the village of Fairhaven!!!

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that all of these last minute issues are cropping up. I am praying that everything gets resolved quickly! And I have said my fair share of Memorare's. When Dan had his high blood pressure scare in March of 2020 I had just memorized it as I had recently learned about Mother Theresa's Flying Novena. Saying 10 of them in a row sure has been helpful in getting my prayers answered quickly and in calming a worried spirit. I'm glad Eamon passed his license test! What a relief. Also, I love that your mom made your brother drive your former employee home. The number of foreign summer workers riding their bikes on Route 28 makes me very nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah yes! Bikes on the rotaries, yikes! We used to drive home anyone we could, throwing their bikes in the back of the pickup. I love that you do that novena, it's a good reminder for me :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this sounds so stressful but how nice to be surrounded by such supportive people. Wishing you the best of luck with the opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes!! Fingers crossed we pass the board of health inspection today.

      Delete
  3. Rant away! It's your space! Many prayers all gets resolved in a positive way. It looks simply lovely. So neat that soon the after Mass ice cream shop will be your very own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your place is absolutely perfect!!!!! Prayers for everything to go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and not THAT far of a drive for an ice cream lover like yourself ;)

      Delete
  5. You and Phil are an incredible team! The ice cream shoppe is going to be so lovely and all these frustrations will be in the rearview mirror soon. Love how the young lady reached out to you with photos and good memories of her time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so sweet to reach out and it gave us just the boost of huzzah we needed to keep moving forward!

      Delete
  6. The shop looks AMAZING. I love the colors. It's cute and inviting. Bummer about the last minute headaches, it's like the GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE book. . . one thing leads to another. Praying that it is all sorted out and that you have a great opening. How timely that the London lawyer reached out. So sweet. Your parents are top notch.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...