Thursday, May 11, 2023

We Always Said We Would Like an Even Number of Children

Do you know that feeling you get when you have a new baby, and you are sitting in the hospital with them, just staring at their perfect little face and then it hits you that THE WORLD IS STILL GOING ON OUTSIDE OF THIS ROOM?

I can remember that feeling after each one of my baby's births.  Like this totally amazing, life-changing, wonderful event just happened...and yet people are just acting absolutely normal outside of this window?  Getting their coffees and going to work?  Don't they realize that there's a whole new person living their first moments up here?  Can't time just stand still for a minute?

On a much smaller scale, I am having the same feeling about the opening of our ice cream shop.  

It's not as awesome as a new baby, but there was a lot of dreaming, planning, praying, patiently and impatiently waiting, suffering, learning, and blood sweat and tears poured into this shop.  And it feels like a really, really big deal to us and yet, like the coffee-buyers and work-goers outside of that hospital window, I know that life goes on.  Time does not stand still.  I wish it would!  We still have other jobs to go to, school and church events to attend, prom and graduation coming up, dinners to cook each night, groceries to buy, laundry to do, a dog to walk and I find myself questioning why we thought this was a good idea in the first place?

But is there ever a perfect time to have a baby open a shop? 

Nope, and we all know what God does to the best laid plans:

So it feels apropos, after months of hard labor, to deliver open The Ice Cream Cottage on this Mother's Day weekend.  Our eighth baby.  We even had the shop baptized enthroned last night.  I think that's what you call hedging your bets ;)

The Cottage Crew is as ready as we can be:

Please pray for our sanity and success.  And a very Happy Mother's Day to all of you!!

10 comments:

  1. That pic of your fam in front of your shop is priceless! I hope you have an amazing opening weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It looks so, so wonderful. Gorgeous choices in colours and uniforms and such a great family legacy! Wishing you all the best this Sunday and wish I lived much closer so I could pop by for regular ice cream treats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a wonderfully sane and successful weekend and a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a daunting task. I have no idea how you balance everything, but yet you seem to do it with endless energy and a positive attitude. Best of luck. I know it will be a great success. Looking forward to the stories surrounding this great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I'm so happy for your family and the New Baby! You're going to do amazing stuff while making great memories with your kiddos. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 11, 2023

    Sooo exciting! Congrats! Who from the family gets to work the first shift?

    My guess is your parents are the first customers :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I am so very happy for you! The Ice Cream Cottage looks beautiful and is now on my bucket list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and I'm praying that opening weekend is a huge success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful family! Congratulations and prayers and love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just dying to hear how the opening went! (When I read the title of this post, for a split second I thought it was a birth announcement! LOL! )

    We spend our summers in upstate NY, and sometimes we drive over to where we lived in NH before we moved to VA, to see old neighbors. It would be another couple of hours from there to Fairhaven...but if we decide to take a road trip to the Cape, we'll plan to stop by the Cottage for an ice cream. 😀

    Your family photo outside the shop is awesome. I would make a giant canvas of it to hang inside. 💜

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...