Friday, October 27, 2023

Week in Review: Holiday Decor, Homecoming Dates and Halloween Desserts

The fall sports season is winding down and life seems much more manageable lately.  But manageable makes for boring blog posts, so you've been warned!  

I saw this pretty holiday centerpiece idea and want to copy it:


It's just a Glass Bowl, Cedar Branches, Floating Candles, plus a bag of fresh cranberries and water to fill - voila! 

I had to take an appreciation photo of my salad yesterday.  I can order a sandwich or salad each day at work for $5 and it's delivered to my office...what a perk!  The salads are HUGE and come with fruit and a pita too.  Though Phil doesn't believe it can be true of anyone, I honestly love salads, especially when I don't have to chop everything.


The Homecoming Dance is around the corner, and Eamon asked a very sweet, smart, athletic and beautiful girl to be his date and for some reason, she said yes :)  These boys of ours certainly know how to pick the cream of the crop!  Andrew's girlfriend was there when he asked and thought to send me this picture of them, isn't that so nice? 


At work I have to learn a new system for recording grants:


Learning anything new seems like it requires more brain waves than I have remaining at my age, and reminds me of this:

I actually do have a really big head too, you would think I could fit more in there.

The Halloween candy has started trickling in from the kids various parties and events, and I have been enjoying the KitKat's and Reese's PB cups so much.  Our desserts are now "Go pick out a candy from the bowl" for the next month.  It was fun to read Elisabeth's best and worst Halloween candies, especially because of the Canadian variations...ketchup chips?!?!  Who knew?  Speaking of blog posts, Joanne surprised me with her big news!

I saw this and had to immediately send it to Maggie, whom I missed so much while she was away last weekend and I'm not ready to have her away from home anytime soon, but I know it's coming:


After Xander's improvised leaf blowing set up with the shop vac, I bought him a new leaf blower that he's going love.  Isn't it great when you buy your kids a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner and THEY ARE EXCITED ABOUT IT?  The best!  Very Tom Sawyerish.

I hope you all have a wonderful last weekend of October!  Get those Halloween and All Saints Day costumes ready (she types to remind herself).

11 comments:

  1. Jenny in WVOctober 27, 2023

    That is a beautiful centerpiece!
    I too love salads, especially when I don't have to cut up all the veggies!
    I'm not sure how I missed the update to Joanne's blog, but I am glad you pointed it out. It's one I always look forward to reading, being Byzantine Rite, it is nice to have some representation in the blog-o-sphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have known except she left a comment on my blog :) Exciting news!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE salads! My problem though is that I tend to love them only when they are laden with high calorie dressing. Oh well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha that games rules meme is 100% me. I learn by DOING not by reading the instructions. (Someone has to read the instructions and fortunately I married that person.)

    I love salads too, and that one looks delicious! what a fantastic work perk. I have been making what I privately call "nacho salads" this week. Basically, it's the ingredients I put on nachos (black beans, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, onion, avocado, corn, lime juice) but on a pile of romaine lettuce instead of chips. It is SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMMM that salad is right up my alley. My husband would ask where the taco meat was, but I would love it!

      Delete
  4. Our boys LOVE a leaf blower... Make sure you have extra batteries so they can being charging while the other is in use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one we got is a plug in - fun for hours yesterday!

      Delete
  5. I'm team I LOVE SALAD. Eamon is such a cute guy and his date looks lovely. The meme about card game rules being explained. YES. When Mini was home for a week, we played a new terrible card game. You are supposed to stick your tongue out when you have all of your cards, but get this - IF YOU AREN'T THE FIRST TO GET YOUR CARDS BUT YOU SEE SOMEONE ELSE STICK THEIR TONGUE OUT, THEN YOU CAN COPY THEM . . . SO LONG AS YOU AREN'T THE LAST ONE. What on earth? I didn't understand the concept, so I was too focused on my cards and they were all sitting there with their tonuges, out laughing at me. Tank got a leaf blower for his b-day from my folks when he was 12 and you would've thought he'd won the lottery. I need to send that daughter thing to Mini. YES! I feel that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've played a card game like that before, but it wasn't your tongue...it was like you had to touch your nose or something...and I was always one of the last to notice! Leaf blowers FTW!

      Delete

Talk to me...