Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Lenten Thoughts on Becoming Like a Child

Sometimes when I am feeling like I need a kick in the behind when it comes to motivation to live a healthier lifestyle, I think of my kids.  

I think about while I have them in my house (especially when they are young) I make sure that they eat healthy and nutritious food, move their bodies to be active and strong, bring them to school to learn, have friends over for social skills, limit screen time, talk to them openly about what's happening, teach them manners and kindness, put them to bed early so they are rested, teach them their prayers and take them to church to get them to Heaven, and hug them as much as they allow it.  

I do it all naturally because I love them so much and I always want what's best for them.  I'm always thinking of them, always looking out for them and I'll always have their backs.

Sounds pretty cushy, right?  And so I think, "Girl, you need to mother yourself like a child! You need to just love yourself like you love those kids." 

I was sitting in Adoration last week, thinking about how much more simplified my life would be if I just followed the teachings and rhythm of the Catholic Church.   Not easier, but definitely more simple.  Jesus set out a way of life that can actually make us happy in eternity, if not in the present moment.  He loved us even more than we can love our babies and He showed us how to be God the Father's child.  We need to allow God to parent us.

I remember a homily from almost 20 years ago, when our pastor told us to imagine that Bill Gates said he would be coming to the church next Sunday at 10am, handing out $100 bills to everyone who showed up.  We would all make it a priority to get that $100 that morning, right?  Now realize, said our pastor, WHO you are actually receiving every Sunday morning at 10am.  Isn't He worth more than $100?  

I can still remember that homily because it convicted me.  We go through the actions sometimes of getting ourselves to church and by the time we leave, especially if we are wrangling fussy babies, we barely notice what just happened.  Jesus was not only present, we actually got to receive Him in the eucharist.  We can go pray with Him - literally in the same room - in Adoration, and yet we drive by our churches without stopping in to say "Hi Jesus. I love you. Thank you."  At our parish we have around the clock Adoration almost every day of the week, and people in my parish are waking up all throughout the night to pray for an hour with Jesus, and yet sometimes I skip my Tuesday at 7:30 pm Adoration hour (Phil goes) because I'm too tired or busy or it's dark or cold outside.  What if my kid didn't want to fulfill their commitment to a team or club?  Wouldn't I explain the importance of being true to your word, and encourage them to show up as promised?

The Liturgical Calendar of the Catholic Church teaches us that there are times for fasting (Lent, Advent, Fridays) and times for feasting (Solemnities, Easter and Christmas seasons) and times of moderation (Ordinary Times in between).  We don't need to be overthinking how to eat in this diet culture as long as we are eating liturgically.  We eat less or less often during the fasts and treat ourselves during the feasts and don't go to either extreme the rest of the year.  It's easier not to get addicted to food or drink when you are cyclically giving it up and then treating it as a special indulgence during feast times.  We do this with our children all the time!  Eat your dinner before you get dessert...stop snacking or you'll be too full for supper...drink water unless it's a celebration...etc.

So why do I always start a diet at the beginning of the year when it's actually still the Christmas season?  And why do I celebrate with holiday treats during Advent which should be a little Lent?  Because that's the way of the world, and we live in the world, and it's very hard to live counter culturally when parties are planned during Advent or Lent and Meatless Mondays are so popular though it should be happening liturgically on Fridays.  It's all already built in the calendar for us, and it just takes a bit more sacrifice to follow when it's not the accepted norm.

I drove by a protestant church this morning that has a changeable sign out in front, and it read "Sin is a short word with a long sentence."  And while that can be true, as sin is very easy to fall into and can be very hard to stop, we have the ability to get forgiven for our sins in the sacrament of Confession!  Not only do we get forgiven, but we get the grace to not sin again!   It's like therapy, forgiveness and a fresh start all wrapped up in one place.  It's available many times each week, and priests are available for appointments, and yet I have to drag myself there because it's so hard/awkward/emotional for me.  My little seven year old made his First Reconciliation eight weeks ago, and has already gone to Confession four times!  He goes every time it is offered at school and we encourage him and are convicted by him at the same time.

Last Sunday's bible reading was a reminder to keep the sabbath day holy.  God commands us to rest one day each week, and yet do we?  Do we make Sundays a family day of church and rest and recreation, or do we look at it as a weekend day to get things done?  While I don't think this commandment means we are not allowed to do necessary work, I do think I could be a lot better with my planning to make this more of a day of rest.  And hey, maybe then I wouldn't always be so tired?  It's like God knows better than me ;)

And then there is suffering.  No parent wants their child to suffer, but sometimes we must allow it.  I bring my babies in for their necessary vaccinations, and they look at me and cry, not understanding why I am letting somebody else hurt them.  I do it because I love them and it's what's best for them in the end.  God feels the same way towards us.  Look at how much he loved his own son, and what He allowed Him to go through in order to save us all.  Good can come out of suffering, and as St. Teresa of Avila said:

So at this halfway point of Lent, I encourage you (but also myself) to stop overthinking on how to finish Lent strong, instead think about finishing our years on this Earth strong.  It's simple, not easy, but we need to act like a child of God who follows His rules and way of life because He loves us so much and wants what is best for us.  

9 comments:

  1. This was so thoughtful, Colleen. I love reading your reflections on faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Suzanne. I love that you're so open to listening to others journeys :)

      Delete
  2. You give good thoughts to ponder. I also spend alot of time helping my kids learn balance and good habits, ... and then go and eat a secret treat just for me! You're so right that the rhythms of the church year are healthy for us on all levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to serve my kids a very healthy dinner...and then order Taco Bell...so I hear ya!

      Delete
  3. That was really, really good! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great message, Colleen. Thank you. I so appreciate your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ernie :)

      Delete
    2. Ernie- Bogarting your comment to tell you I miss your blog. I wish you and your family well.

      Delete

Talk to me...