Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Vatican CHRISTMAS Cookbook, Filled with Delicious Stories and Tales from Rome (Great Gift Idea!)

After having read and loved The Vatican Cookbook that came out a couple of years ago, I was so excited to receive The Vatican CHRISTMAS Cookbook to review.  With the holidays coming up, and a pandemic still forcing us to stay at home, what better time to create and taste some recipes straight from a Swiss Guard chef at the Vatican?


From the Back Cover

The Christmas Vatican Cookbook shares with the world the glorious spirit of joy and feasting that characterizes Christmastime at the Vatican.  

Acclaimed chef and former Swiss Guard David Geisser presents more than 100 original recipes that have been prepared and served at the Vatican during the Advent and Christmas seasons for over a thousand years, offering a deeply historical and uniquely Catholic way of celebrating the holidays in your home each year.

A marvelous cooking manual and so much more, The Vatican Christmas Cookbook includes stunning behind-the-scenes photographs of the Vatican, which elevate this collection of sublime recipes to a work of art.


After reading through the beautiful cookbook (seriously, this is a coffee table book!) I decided to try my hand at the Maple Cream Cake because it looked delicious and simple.  I used a frozen crust (shhhh don't tell the Vatican!) and the custard filling came together quickly.  

While it was in the oven, I perused the cookbook some more.  I was happy to see a section dedicated to fondue, as we have a fondue set that is collecting dust.

I think I'll make this Dark Toblerone Mousse for Thanksgiving, served in cute little glasses...

And this stuffed chicken with peppers over sweet potatoes looks like a great colorful and lighter fare for the Christmas season.

Maggie picked out the meal she wants to make, Spinach Potato Gnocchi:


All throughout The Vatican Christmas Cookbook, there are interesting tidbits and traditions explained, sections for Advent, St. Nicholas Day (those treats are adorable!), Christmas Eve, and Christmas, as well as recipes from around the world.  Reading cookbooks fills me with so much cozy joy, and this one does not disappoint. 

But back to that Maple Cream Cake.  I baked it for 30 minutes, as directed, but it was still completely liquidy.  I kept it in the oven for close to an hour total before it looked set enough to remove.  Once it cooled (we put it on our cold porch) we sliced it up and it was a delicious creme-brulee-like pie.  Nobody even noticed the store bought crust :)

If you are thinking of gifting The Vatican Christmas Cookbook to a loved one this year, I encourage you to do it!  Bonus points if you buy it for someone who will then cook for you :)

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea there were Vatican cookbooks! What a great idea. I'm going to check this out.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...