Monday, February 8, 2021

Weekend Wrap Up: Excavators, Lots of Food, a Snowstorm and a Superbowl

What a nice weekend we had!  I started a new medication to help with the lingering shingles pain, and I finally am sleeping at night.  Sleep deprivation is serious torture!  Life seems, shall I say, liveable?  Since being homebound for a month, I was able to start venturing out again, which I know my family appreciates.  After putting the littles to bed on Friday night, Phil and I went grocery shopping to get ahead of the Sunday craziness - Superbowl plus a big snowstorm.  $350 worth of groceries later, and that may have been our most expensive date night ;) 

On Saturday morning, we took the kids to see Haley and Jonathan's lot, which they have begun clearing in order to start building their dream home to be ready for when they get married.  For a certain four year old named Brendan who LOVES excavators, it was kind of a big deal :)



I mean, look at the shirt he wore for the occasion...



Later on Phil took me out to lunch with a gift certificate that was about to expire and then we went shopping on the Cape for an hour before heading back home to the kiddos.  It was such a nice escape!  I definitely strayed from the low-carb food plan this weekend at times and it was worth it.  However, I also discovered the best tasting low-carb breakfast ever!  If you like bagels with cream cheese but have given them up due to dietary restrictions, let me introduce you to this life hack:


In your mini waffle maker , cook two chaffles by mixing together one egg + 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Pour half of the mixture into the waffle maker and cook for 6 minutes, then repeat.  Spread your crispy chaffles with cream cheese and sprinkle some Everything but the Bagel seasoning on top.  Oh my gosh, you will not miss your bagels anymore and it only has 3g carbs and 20g protein, a great way to start the day or snack during the day or satisfy a late-night craving or I'm obsessed and I'll stop now.

Declan lost a tooth and gained a grown man's appetite.  Look at his lunch the other day...


Half a grapefruit, a cheeseburger cut up, yogurt, and a fig bar.  

And he still says he's hungry an hour later.

Now you see why we spend so much on groceries - six boys!!

I made a chili for Phil and I to eat for lunches this week.  I put so many veggies in - onions, peppers, celery, carrots, a sweet potato, riced cauliflower and canned tomatoes.  Plus ground beef and seasonings and some bone broth. No beans because Phil doesn't care for them and they add too many carbs anyway.  It cooked in the crockpot all day and will be a healthy and nourishing lunch for the week with about 17g carbs per serving.  We aim to eat under 20g per meal, and I'd rather go a little over that count because of our veggie intake than stay under by eating cheese and heavy cream, you know?


Sunday finally came, and after Mass, Phil had us all make Superbowl signs to decorate the house.  My sign obviously won ;)


The snow started right on time so we were inside for the day, cleaning and relaxing.  I found this tweet and laughed and laughed. 


If I'm home, there's probably a Yankee Candle lit (although Walmart makes some good, strong smelling less expensive candles too).

Our superbowl spread...photo in real life...messy island and all.  On the menu was ribs, nachos, pigs-in-blankets, buffalo cauliflower, and pizza.


This was followed by Superbowl Sundaes of course.  And shoveling, lots of shoveling.  I hope your weekend was fun and you feel ready to tackle the week ahead!  Linking up with Rosie and friends.

6 comments:

  1. I love how food-centered this post is, my kind of reading!! Those chaffles are intriguing to me, I wonder if they would work in a regular waffle maker... We always have SO many eggs to use, it would be a fun way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes! Maybe double the recipe? 2 eggs plus 1 cup of cheese?

      Delete
  2. Wow,every little boy's dream come true! Also you inspired a superbowl "sundae" tradition in our home last year and I'm pretty sure my boys will never let me forget it which is totally fine with me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice to hear - kids are definitely into traditions, aren't they? Any time I commemorate a special moment I think "I'm going to have to do this for every kids for the rest of their lives because they'll never let me forget it!"

      Delete
  3. I am glad Tom got the win. And oh my goodness! Seeing your boys in the "diggey" as Peter used to call it made me long for days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be able to enjoy these simple moments with them, thanks Beth!

      Delete

Talk to me...