Monday, November 27, 2023

Thanksgiving Recap: It's Giving Family, It's Giving Fun, It's Giving Thanks

 On Tuesday night, the college boys arrived home late after a long rainy drive from Ohio!  They appreciated the welcome home signs that Declan and Brendan left out for them as well as the homemade chocolate chip cookies :)


On Wednesday, some of us had half-days of school/work and others had Stay at Home Learning days.  Phil made a yummy pot roast dinner and the big kids went bowling.  I started the cinnamon rolls for the following morning, which came out delicious as that recipe always does.


We ran our own Turkey Trot and then headed up to my sister's house for Thanksgiving about an hour away.  Everybody brings a few dishes, this year we brought Pesto Meatballs, a Cranberry Pecan Kale salad and a Feta, Corn and Black Bean dip with fritos.  My brother-in-law cooked the turkey sous vide and while I don't like turkey, everybody agreed it was delicious and tasted like pork.



Super Scoopers

Almost my whole side of the family was there, minus my oldest brother's family so there were 32 of us and an intense game of Ultimate Tic Tac Toe happened on that paper tablecloth after dessert was served.


I grabbed my family to get a photo outside:

Maggie is officially taller than me

My hearts that reside at Franciscan

On Black Friday, we always decorate the house for Christmas!  I asked Phil to take the tree out on Thanksgiving night and we had Forced Family Fluffing to prepare for decorating the next day.  Nobody ever wants to fluff the tree once they see all the ornaments, so this was a good idea and one I'll need to remember!  Phil worked outside with JP and Eamon to clean up the yard and set up the lights out there, and I had the rest of the minions helping me inside :)  

That afternoon we went and took Christmas Card photos while everyone was home, and I even ordered the cards right away.  We had Shepherd's Pie for dinner (using the leftover pot roast gravy) and then had the kids sit in the living room...


Darian, Andrew's girlfriend, was there too and had to suffer through our family events, but she is a great sport and blends right in!  We told the kids that we were not buying any Christmas presents this year, but they could look in their stockings for a surprise.  They quickly figured out:


It was supposed to say:


Same dif and they were sooooo excited:


We haven't been on a "real" vacation in 13 years and everybody worked so hard to get the Ice Cream Cottage up and running this year that we wanted to have a fun week together in the off-season.  Plus who knows how long we all have together just the nine of us?!?  You can give me all of your Florida tips (we're not doing the Disney thing - going to Seaworld, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica instead - but we are staying in Orlando).

On Saturday we had a basketball practice, some kids went shopping, we all went to Mass and then had dinner and played games with friends until way too late, but it was worth it!


JP and Andrew and their cousin left at 3 am on Sunday and arrived back on campus at 1:30 pm with a great no-issues trip.  Our day was spent with a volleyball team tryout for Maggie and a piano lesson for Xander and bike rides and dog walks and football-watching and that was about it!  We truly enjoyed the family-filled weekend and I am so thankful to have them all home together as I know this time is fleeting. 


 This week starts winter sports tryouts for the high-schoolers and our lives are about to get crazy busy again, with basketball practices 6 days a week (2 teams but only one court so 2 different practice times each day for Eamon and Maggie) and swim team 4 days a week for Xander and weekly practices and games for the little two guys as well as a volleyball league on Sundays for Maggie.  Send a chauffeur :)

16 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Discovery Cove since I was a teenager but it resides in my memories as one of my most favorite days ever. What a fantastic Christmas gift for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh that's so good to hear. I'm pretty sure it will be my favorite day, but I wasn't sure if the kids would enjoy it as much.

      Delete
  2. What an absolutely awesome Christmas present! Love your family, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have always wanted to do a vacation instead of gifts, so we are excited! Hopefully being away from home won't be too weird/disappointing in any way for the kiddos.

      Delete
  3. As always, this sounds so busy and so fun. I love the all-in family decorating time. I end up doing most of that on my own but I did put up my Christsmas houses on Sunday to pass some time with the younger girls. The Christmas vacation sounds amazing. What a great idea. I'm sure everyone will have wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forced Family Decorating/Fun heehee!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you are doing a trip! I think the next time we go to Orlando I am going to skip Disney also. I am excited to see how you like the other parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 9 year old is VERY into dolphins, so I looked into Seaworld tickets for that reason, then saw that they have a great deal between the three parks (and Busch Gardens in Tampa but we didn't want to travel any further) and that sealed our decision. One day at Disney or Universal would be about $1800 for our family. One day!

      Delete
  5. We love gatorland too. We go to Orlando every winter (but in Jan or Feb) and about half the time it's not warm enough to swim, so maybe hold out on the water park type tickets until close enough to see a forecast. :) but we've also been when it was 80 the whole time. Our trip last year was cold though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into gatorland, thanks! I am worried about the weather as we have already bought tickets, but are flexible with the days while we are there. I have all the kids praying for good weather!

      Delete
  6. What a great Christmas present!!! I know you guys will have so much fun!! I can't wait to read all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth, it sure makes Christmas shopping easier!

      Delete
  7. Colleen, this is so weird of me to ask, but I thought I remembered you saying you have a sibling that lives in Westwood.... Is that where you went?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird at all! This sister lives in Arlington but my brother lives in Westwood and he typically hosts Christmas :)

      Delete
  8. Thirty two people for Thanksgiving! WOW! I had a good giggle at the pic of your turkey in the bathtub getting all sous vided up!
    Yay for having all your chickens home and the Force Fluff. You are brilliant!

    A family vacation is so much better than all the stress of gifts....although, I know your kids will still have some presents. We did Discovery Cove about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. Did you make your reservations? They only take in so many visitors a day and make sure you book the Dolphin Interaction---it was the highlight of our day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we made reservations! I hope we get some warm weather that week, because there's a lot of water activities planned. Although I'm sure that leaving behind winter up here will make anything over 50 degrees feel warm!

      Delete

Talk to me...