Monday, January 29, 2024

Out and About

 Today, I am out and about (said with a Canadian accent) at my sweet friend Elisabeth's blog

I am so honored to be part of her interview series, and I hope my answers don't disappoint.  Funny story about Elisabeth, who lives in Nova Scotia (can you even imagine?)...I used to read her blog every single time she posted, and then one day POOF it was gone.  I was so blue and I googled and tried to figure out what happened, with no success.  

Then I wrote about it in a post one day, and a loyal reader (hi!) told me that she had lost her blog and was forced to start a new one.  I would be devastated to lose my blog and all of those memories, but Elisabeth took it so well and started a new (and dare I say improved?) blog and the blogiverse has been put back in order once again.  So anyway, please go give her a read if you don't already :)  And thanks for having me Elisabeth!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi from your loyal reader.
    I think it's cool how the guest posts illuminate a side of the person you might not see on the blog.
    (Back up singer and dancer!?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee if only you could see into our kitchen with the music blasting and me singing and dancing all around, you would see my calling! Well, I'm no good at it but she did promise that I would get the talents necessary :)

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to read the guest post! Also, when I read your opening sentence, I definitely heard it in my head pronounced the American way, and then went back to read it and "hear" it in the Canadian way ;) The other Canadian pronunciation I find so endearing is keeping a long /o/ sound in process. It actually makes more sense than the schwa we end up with, since we say "program" and "prologue" with a long o. Accents are endlessly fascinating to me!

    That comment on your blog was also the way I found Elisabeth's new one, so I'm immensely grateful for that. It was a sad period of time without her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I confuse Canadian and Minnesotan accents, because I was saying it kind of like oot and aboot, but maybe it's more like oat and aboat?

      Delete
  3. I read your interview last night - well done. I didn't see Elisabeth's blog before it was lost, but I visited it after you talked about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always love to make blog connections :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for guest posting!

    Ironically enough, I do NOT say oot/oat and aboot/aboat (though it's very common in Newfoundland). Most Canadians do say out and about it just like Americans. I do say "eh" a lot though, which is VERY stereotypical. Like: Nice day out there today, eh? Or, we should leave for the park soon, eh?

    This intro is especially funny because I have a post all drafted in my head about different pronunciations for words.

    Oh, and another Canadian-ism that I do NOT do: "seen". So, so common here. I "seen" the hockey game last night. I "seen" my friend at the store. Drives. me. crazy. People also put "t" on the end of cousin a lot, at least in the Maritimes. As in: "She's my cousint." What? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely think of "eh" as Canadian, but had no idea about seen or cousinT...what the what?!

      Delete

Talk to me...