Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Wednesday Workout Wrapup - With a Note to Moms of Littles

Another week of workouts in the book.  I feel compelled to disclose that if you are a mom with young children and you are wondering how on earth you can find time or energy to exercise, I see you and hear you and feel you.  Sleepless nights are literally torture and being away from a breastfeeding baby is hard to plan and childcare or a gym membership may not be financially available right now.  

I am able to fit in these walks and workouts because all of my children are in school, I have built-in babysitters to be able to walk the dog at night with my husband, and we have a family gym membership at half price at the YMCA because we qualify for financial aid.  

When the first four kids were little, I joined a gym that included childcare for $19.99/month and I would take them four times a week and they played while I worked out and it was great.  Before that, I would wait for Phil to get home from work and we would take turns going for a quick run or walk.  Sometimes I would just do workouts at home while someone was napping or after they went to bed (anyone remember the P90X dvds or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?).   Other days, the best I could do was pop the toddler in the stroller and strap the baby on my body and walk.

Declan (age 2) and Brendan (age newbie)

What I'm saying is that I have always found a way to squeeze in exercise because I craaaave the benefits, but it has looked very different throughout the years.  I try to walk the very fine line between keeping myself healthy without interfering with the family's needs.  Can it appear selfish to take an hour away from family to workout alone?  Yes.  But would it also be selfish to not take care of one's health when so many lives are dependent on it? Yes.  

I once heard Fr. Mike Schmitz explaining the way he grew up in a fit and active family, and he said the question of the day would be WHEN or WHAT the workout was today and never IF they would workout.  I think our kids have grown up this way too, seeing Mom and Dad exercise daily and joining in when they can/want to, and that makes me feel proud and not guilty at all.

Let's review, shall we?

Wednesday, January 17: 

3 mile Walk at lunch

1 mile Run on treadmill + 45 minute Strength Class (while Xander was at swim practice)


Thursday, January 18: 

45 minutes on Stair Stepper at home before work

3 mile Walk at lunch

1 mile Walk with dog at night


Friday, January 19: 

5:30 am Boot Camp Class (we slept in until 5:01 and made it just in time!)

The workout was four rounds of these 1 minute stations:

1 mile Walk with dog in evening


Saturday, January 20: 

4 mile run

1 mile Walk with dog


Sunday, January 21: 

1 mile run on treadmill + 45 minute cardio/weight class at gym

1 mile walk with dog


Monday, January 22: 

Day off - I do this whenever my body feels very sore or tired.

3 mile walk at lunch 

1 mile walk with dog in evening


Tuesday, January 23: 

45 minutes on Stair Stepper at home before work

3 mile Walk at lunch

 

8 comments:

  1. I love your approach to exercise! And this was so well said: "Would it also be selfish to not take care of one's health when so many lives are dependent on it? Yes. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have felt guilt over the years (never from my husband or kids) but from people who have made comments to imply it's selfish to take the time away to exercise. They stung. But now I see those moms who have thought it selfish to exercise...and they are out of shape and overweight with health problems. How is that better for their kids? It's sad.

      Delete
  2. You are killing it. I agree so much that it was hard when the kids were tiny. I had a free memebership to the health club connected to Coach's work when the kids were very little. Inevitably one of them hated going and cried nonstop. When Reg and Curly were toddlers I was more consistent and they were in the groove and not freaked out. I relied mostly on walks. I was not yet a runner. I also had a few videos I did at home. I had a really good pregnancy video that I liked. I also agree that working out is not selfish. I cannot believe anyone every suggested otherwise to you. What on earth? Our kids have grown up watching our focus on being healthy and it has rubbed off - mostly. The two newbies are new to this mentality but we've told them from the get go that they need to spend a portion of each day moving their body.

    The thought of that boot camp makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boot camp has become our favorite workout of the week!! Waking up at 4:45 is hard though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the kind comments and thoughtfulness to those like me with still little kids. It is good encouragement to see that exercise Can be done if it is made a priority. I get stuck thinking survival mode for sleep, or a particular discipline issue, or the kids' over all neediness will always be that way and i lose all ability to work around that. It is actually super uplifting for me to read about your workouts as i begin to think how i can adapt that for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! Be gentle with yourself, your body needs sleep more than exercise, so I wouldn't sacrifice getting up early or staying up late to work out, but maybe you can fit something in during the day. You got this!

      Delete
  4. Such wisdom here... I so appreciate your reflections on what exercise has looked like for you in various seasons of life. The notion of questioning "what" and "how" but not IF you move intentionally each day is really compelling! I miss living in an environment where walking was incorporated into daily life (college, living in Europe, even visiting big cities!). It's so good for both mental and physical health. I've thought about trying to configure some type of treadmill desk but I just can't imagine actually typing or even reading while walking -- seems like it would be too bouncy! Have you ever tried that? (Not that you need it -- my goodness, even your "day off" involved 4 miles of walking!! You are killing it!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when I heard that Fr. Mike story I took it to heart. As for the treadmill desk, I don't think it would work for me either. I can get a standing desk at work, and I may do that, but the people that have them all seem to sit and not use them, so??? I think in theory they are great but doing work seems to necessitate sitting, at least the work I do.

      Delete

Talk to me...