Tuesday, August 6, 2024

A Quick Getaway to Kennebunkport and Ogunquit, Maine

Work has been so busy lately (my regular accounting job...as well as The Ice Cream Cottage) but they had to replace the server at work, which meant I couldn't use the accounting software, which meant that Phil and I were able to squeeze in a quick 24 hour getaway last Friday to Ogunquit, Maine.  We woke up on Friday morning, took the dog for a 4 mile walk (because we knew the kids wouldn't be walking her while we were away) and drove up North!  We stopped at Popovers in Portsmouth, NH and had yummy breakfast sandwiches AND popovers - delish.  We were full until dinner.


We drove straight to Kennebunkport, Maine and rented electric bikes for a half day in order to see the town.  Kennebunkport is a BEAUTIFUL coastal New England town, made famous by the Bush compound there.  We did see Walker's Point estate, and drove right past the secret service agent(s) parked in the driveway.  What a waste of taxpayers money to have round the clock secret service for retired presidents who aren't even there!

LOVE (see it?)



Phil, your tourist is showing.

Sadly after about an hour of riding, I had a crash and fell off the bike.  I just got too close to the curb trying to stay out of the road and hit it and fell off onto the sidewalk.  My right knee got the worst of it and has a big cut plus I scraped and bruised my other leg and my arms/hands and bumped my head on a rock wall.  It was a crazy moment and I keep reliving it *shudder* and realizing how much worse it could have been.  

The roads are just so busy in the summer between the pedestrians and bikers and cars, and there isn't a dedicated bike lane or path, that we really shouldn't have been riding bikes at all.  Lesson learned and in the future we will only rent bikes if there is a bike path or it's a less busy season.  After my fall, a lady walked down from her enormous house overlooking the ocean to check on me.  She said she saw what happened, and asked if we wanted to come up to sit in the shade (it was 90 degrees) and have a cold drink.  I really should have taken her up on it (I would have LOVED to see her house up close!) but I was too embarrassed and shaky and crying to want to be seen by anyone.  I knew I was okay, just banged up, so we rode back to the bike rental place and dropped off the bikes early and headed to the hotel in Ogunquit.  We stopped at CVS for some bandaids and ointment and chocolate, of course.

Our room was ready early, so I bandaged my knee up with waterproof bandaids and we swam in the pool and layed by the pool and it was very relaxing.  We are pretty active people, especially when we are on our own in a new place, so this rest was unexpected but felt really good.  


The pool was so big and clean and empty!

We went to dinner right near the beach and I was amazed at the views of the ocean AND the river and the sandbars and the sight of so many people enjoying it.




I ordered the colossal lobster roll because, hello Maine, and I have to say that the lobster rolls in our neck of the woods are better!  Still good though!

How many lobsters were sacrificed for this one meal?  Sacrilicious!


Phil got a burger like the land lover he is.

We stopped for souvenirs for the kids (Maine tshirts for everyone!) then went back to the hotel and jacuzzied and relaxed some more.  We were up bright and early and went to breakfast at Perkins Cove which was very tasty and then walked through town to the Marginal Way.  


The Marginal Way is a beautiful walk along the coast that reminded us of the Cliff Walk in Newport, RI.  Maine beaches are so cool because of all the rocky terrain that opens up into a beach...so much fun for kids to climb and explore.  We definitely want to bring the kids back soon.





We headed back to the hotel and swam, showered and drove home, thankful for that quick reset button on our summer craziness.

Meanwhile, Maggie brought the little guys to a beach they had never been to right in our own town on Saturday.  We went to Mass on Saturday evening, had a fridge cleanout dinner, and watched Aladdin with the littles.


On Sunday, our parish had their annual picnic and Darian (thanks girl!) snapped this photo of some of my family who were there:

JP was holding down the shop for us :)

This week looks like it will be rainy and slow and hopefully that means some house cleaning and organizing and back to school shopping and prepping can take place.  If only I had a clone.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice getaway! I hope you recovered from your fall - isn't strange how shook up one can get from something like that? And isn't it nice for big siblings to take the littles out and about! Bonus points for Maggie! I hope you enjoy the last few weeks of summer my kids go back this week, so we're squeezing in a movie today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bruises and memories are healing :) I just can't believe people are starting school already! My kids go back August 28 and that feels too soon. Hope your movie day was fun!

      Delete
  2. Love that you had this getaway, sorry that you got banged up in the process of trying to unwind and sightsee. Great photos. We really haven't done much of the east coast. Maybe one day. It was unseasonably chilly here yesterday and I was like TIME TO BAKE. We met a few random girls at the beach in the city a few weeks ago. They are from Ireland and are here for the summer, leaving on Saturday. So we are hosting them for dinner at our house in the burbs tomorrow night. My kids think that's weird, well - depending on the kid. We are contemplating sending the girls to a very small Catholic opus dei school and that is boggling the mind at the moment. Never dull. I hope you get done as much as you expect to get done in these upcoming rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have issues with bikes and have fallen off a time or two. I'm too chicken to even attempt an electric bike. I'm glad you are okay and we're able to enjoy the rest of your getaway. It looks like such a nice place!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...