Declan had two appointments on the same day last week, one with a pediatric orthopedist at Boston Children's for potential scoliosis, and one with the orthodontist to get braces. I was at work, so Phil brought him to the first appointment, where the doctor examined Declan and decided he did not have scoliosis, just very tight hamstrings that were making his hips uneven and one knee turn in a bit. This diagnosis made sense since Phil and I both have very tight hamstrings, and I also have the hip issue.
After talking about our family, the business, etc. she suggested Declan do stretches at home instead of having to take him to physical therapy and she would re-evaluate him in 6 months (we love a doctor who "gets" us). The stretch is very simple and Phil and I are doing it with Declan (and Brendan, also genetically tight) each night while praying the rosary. Basically we just have to sit with our legs stretched out in front of us, push our bums all the way back to the wall, sit up straight and breathe/pray through the pain for tenish minutes. It's so sad how inflexible and tight we are.
Phil had some time to kill in between appointments, so he brought Declan to get Five Guys for lunch.
| Feeling Fine |
Declan took a few bites, said he felt sick and then threw up a few minutes later. Phil drove to the orthodontist office and Declan threw up again (into a bag in the car). Phil walked in and told them what was happening, and they asked if it was possibly a case of nerves? Nope. Declan was actually really excited to get braces. So they rescheduled the appointment for a week later and Phil drove the 50 minutes home (we do have orthodontists that are closer but we love the one we use).
The night before the new braces appointment, Declan felt like his nose was stuffy and said he was getting a cold and was worried how they would put the braces on if he couldn't breathe through his nose. I gave his some Airborne gummies and he told me he was going to pray a rosary in bed to help feel better. The next morning he woke up saying it had worked and he was all better and ready for braces! Phil and Declan drove up with some ice cream treats for the office staff, and they turned my little boy into a preteen:
A coworker of mine has been raving about a gym she goes to near my house, and they had a 28 Day Pass for $28 so I have been trying it out. I do the Strength classes at 6:15am and I am loving them! I won't join once the 28 days are over though, because I can't attend class at this time once I have to drive the kids to school, and also a monthly membership costs $120. I'll keep my YMCA family membership thankyouverymuch.
| I guess this old lady can wake up at 5:45! |
I try NOT to do the Sweat Strength classes because while I don't mind sweating during a workout (actually love a good sweat), I do mind a hot room...but sometimes it's the only class that fits my schedule and I slip around and it's gross:
| Taking a picture to show Phil how gross I am but he just laughs because he sweats ten times more than me. |
There is something soooooo nice about being done with the workout by 7, walking the dog a mile, showering and heading to work feeling like I won the day already. Will this turn me into an early morning worker-outer? We shall see if it sticks!
Phil made Beef Bulgogi one night with coconut rice and YUMMO I could eat this very often, but the flank steak is so pricey so it's a sometimes treat:
The Canada wildfires turned our Massachusetts skies very eery for a couple days:
We had Messi Sundaes (literally just messy sundaes) to celebrate the final World Cup game:
![]() |
| Too bad these Maggies, besties since Freshman year, are heading off to different colleges :( |
Anytime that I take off the tablecloth to wash, this happens:
| Da Boyz |
![]() |
| Andrew and Karolina. This photo reminds me of the song Little Moments by Brad Paisley. |
| A church built by Karolina's mom on their property in Virginia! |










My kids are too big for most playgrounds too; I keep thinking I can take the youngest four out, but then I remember ones 18, ones 16, and the other two are too tall anyways. When did they grow up? I guess I have to wait for my granddaughter to grow some more before I can head back to the playgrounds.
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Maggie- that is a on the part of the nonprofit to ignore their guests.
More braces! He looks handsome ! But I am so glad my kids never got them.
The story of the elderly couple is so touching!
Have a fun and profitable weekend!- mbmom11